Cheflife15

Malfunction

Recently got my cz 75 back from cajun gun works (birthday gift from the wifey). It seems to have an issue feeding. Is this a potential spring issue? In either case they're sending me a shipping label to fix it but i was curious if this is something i could do myself before sending it back. 

0811201356~2.jpg

What did they do to it? I'm assuming from the hammer they did at least a trigger job. 

Could be caused by a weak recoil spring. Rails look awfully dry too, so it might need some lube. Those you can try doing something about yourself, or at least seeing if changing the spring helps anything. 

It could also be caused by the extractor not being installed right, or binding for any reason really (debris, dirt or other obstruction). between the ramp and hood. If you know how to R&R it, you can make sure it is clean and installed properly. 

As a make sure of it item, verify your slide stop is not cracked, bent, or otherwise failing. It's the weakest link on the c-75. I recommending having a spare on hand as it has a maybe 30k service life. 

If they fit a new barrel, it could just have bad geometry, you can't do much about that... well shouldn't. If they did the work they should fix it. You could always break out the dremel and roll the dice ;) (don't do that). 

If they put a bushing on the gun, it could be cut to tight and not permit enough barrel motion for proper locking and unlocking and you are sucking up the slide energy into the bushing binding at maximum tilt of the barrel.  That really should not be done without the proper gear and know how. That's a send it back situation even if you don't really want to. 

• Informative 1

1 minute ago, raz-0 said:

What did they do to it? I'm assuming from the hammer they did at least a trigger job. 

Could be caused by a weak recoil spring. Rails look awfully dry too, so it might need some lube. Those you can try doing something about yourself, or at least seeing if changing the spring helps anything. 

It could also be caused by the extractor not being installed right, or binding for any reason really (debris, dirt or other obstruction). between the ramp and hood. If you know how to R&R it, you can make sure it is clean and installed properly. 

As a make sure of it item, verify your slide stop is not cracked, bent, or otherwise failing. It's the weakest link on the c-75. I recommending having a spare on hand as it has a maybe 30k service life. 

If they fit a new barrel, it could just have bad geometry, you can't do much about that... well shouldn't. If they did the work they should fix it. You could always break out the dremel and roll the dice ;) (don't do that). 

If they put a bushing on the gun, it could be cut to tight and not permit enough barrel motion for proper locking and unlocking and you are sucking up the slide energy into the bushing binding at maximum tilt of the barrel.  That really should not be done without the proper gear and know how. That's a send it back situation even if you don't really want to. 

This malfunctiom actually happens occasionally if i load it and just close the slide as well. 

No new barrel

Only about 2 k rounda through it

No bushing. 

I oiled it up pretty well before shooting today so i dont know if thats it either. 

Tried multiple magazines as well. 

Im starting to think it was an installation issue. 

I have to get some of the dumb questions out of the way first. Did you try more than 1 round from different lots?

Does it do this every time?

How did it do this? ie. did you seat a mag and slingshot it? Drop the slide from the slide catch? Baby the slide forward by hand?

Do you feel any thing hanging up or binding without a round present?

What work did CGW do?

Does their trigger job change out the recoil spring? PIcs on their site of their cz-75 package seems to only include a lightened trigger return spring. 

For NJ, depending on how it is behaving, I'd check your 10 round mags. There's 3 or 4 different kinds from the factory as far as limiting method. If they bind tight when reloading slide forward on a full mag, the friction with the underside of the slide can also suck up the slide's energy and fail to fully return to battery. Remedying that is harder, and depends on the method of limiting capacity. You can usually make it reloadable by trimming the follower a VERY LITTLE BIT in the right places. But I warn to be very cautious as if you mess up you can wind up with an 11 round mag. In general with cz mags I recommend numbering everything from a mag with a sharpy as some use the 16 round followers in their 10 round mags and some use 15 round followers in their 10 round mags. 

Just now, Mr.Stu said:

I have to get some of the dumb questions out of the way first. Did you try more than 1 round from different lots?

Yes, tried multiple rounds and multiple different ammos

Does it do this every time?

No, does it maybe 70 percent of the time. 

How did it do this? ie. did you seat a mag and slingshot it? Drop the slide from the slide catch? Baby the slide forward by hand?

This one was cause from loading the magazine and just releasong the slide stop. Its also happened from pulling back the slide quickly and letting go. I did not baby the slide as i originally thouhht that could be the issue. It ALSO happened between rounds occasionally and i certainly wasnt limp wristing. 

No, i used the same rounds and fired them through my ppq with no issue. 

What work did CGW do?

• Cajun Gun Works Race or Ring Hammer
  • Super hard, heat treated to RC60 and friction fit hammer pins
  • CGW’s famous TR-PIN floating trigger pin made from S-7 tool steel (lifetime warranty)
  • CGW Reach Reduction Kit including our “hybrid” disconnector and modified “Old Style” 75585 Trigger
  • Reduced power music wire trigger return spring RP-TRS
  • Short Reset System
  • Hand polished and professionally tuned to your preference
  • Lifetime warranty on all CGW manufactured hard parts to the original purchaser

2 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

Does their trigger job change out the recoil spring? PIcs on their site of their cz-75 package seems to only include a lightened trigger return spring. 

For NJ, depending on how it is behaving, I'd check your 10 round mags. There's 3 or 4 different kinds from the factory as far as limiting method. If they bind tight when reloading slide forward on a full mag, the friction with the underside of the slide can also suck up the slide's energy and fail to fully return to battery. Remedying that is harder, and depends on the method of limiting capacity. You can usually make it reloadable by trimming the follower a VERY LITTLE BIT in the right places. But I warn to be very cautious as if you mess up you can wind up with an 11 round mag. In general with cz mags I recommend numbering everything from a mag with a sharpy as some use the 16 round followers in their 10 round mags and some use 15 round followers in their 10 round mags. 

Tried magazines and they work fine with my shadow. Trigger job does include a change in recoil sprimgs and for whatever reason they didn't ship back the original. 

17 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

No, i used the same rounds and fired them through my ppq with no issue. 

Rather than talking about the rounds, I meant with an empty CZ can you feel any resistance when manipulating the slide?

When I slowly let my slide forward on my CZ75B I can feel slight resistance just before the slide clears the top of the hammer. I can also feel a drop off of resistance as the ramp in the locking lug starts to ride up the slide stop pin.

10 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Rather than talking about the rounds, I meant with an empty CZ can you feel any resistance when manipulating the slide?

When I slowly let my slide forward on my CZ75B I can feel slight resistance just before the slide clears the top of the hammer. I can also feel a drop off of resistance as the ramp in the locking lug starts to ride up the slide stop pin.

Read that wrong sorry, nope no resistance. 

16 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

If you remove the barrel, does a round drop into the chamber freely?

It does. Cajun gun works sent me a shipping label. I may just send it back to get repaired. I cant seem to find tje thread on shipping guns again but they said 2 days with fed ex is legal, any imput?

4 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

It does. Cajun gun works sent me a shipping label. I may just send it back to get repaired. I cant seem to find tje thread on shipping guns again but they said 2 days with fed ex is legal, any imput?

Yes, you can ship directly to CGW via Fedex. Pack the gun i a box that does not say anything on the outside about it being a gun. You need to drop it off at a Fedex location, not a Fedex agent such as Kinko. When you drop it off you must declare it to be a firearm. They should know what to do.

CGW can ship it directly back to you too. No need to go via an FFL in either direction and no pistol permit required for you to receive it back.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Yes, you can ship directly to CGW via Fedex. Pack the gun i a box that does not say anything on the outside about it being a gun. You need to drop it off at a Fedex location, not a Fedex agent such as Kinko. When you drop it off you must declare it to be a firearm. They should know what to do.

CGW can ship it directly back to you too. No need to go via an FFL in either direction and no pistol permit required for you to receive it back.

Cgw says to declare it "machined parts" and not as a firearm. Any reason why they would suggest this? 

Screenshot_20200812-094006~2.png

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Cgw says to declare it "machined parts" and not as a firearm. Any reason why they would suggest this? 

Screenshot_20200812-094006~2.png

It's because they are trying to ship it at the cheaper 2 day rate. You are supposed to ship it next day. Their advice is against the rules but it's not going to be them getting in trouble if the package is damaged and the contents is discovered or worse, goes missing.

Personally, I won't use CGW because of the BS they tried to feed me about a set of sights I got for my CZ75 from them. It shot consistently high. When I spoke to them they said that it was normal and I was aiming incorrectly. They tried to tell me that everybody uses a 6 o'clock hold and POA/POI was out of date. I sent those sights back and got Dawson Precision ones that are spec'd correctly. The irony is that DP makes the sights for CGW.

1 minute ago, Mr.Stu said:

It's because they are trying to ship it at the cheaper 2 day rate. You are supposed to ship it next day. Their advice is against the rules but it's not going to be them getting in trouble if the package is damaged and the contents is discovered or worse, goes missing.

Personally, I won't use CGW because of the BS they tried to feed me about a set of sights I got for my CZ75 from them. It shot consistently high. When I spoke to them they said that it was normal and I was aiming incorrectly. They tried to tell me that everybody uses a 6 o'clock hold and POA/POI was out of date. I sent those sights back and got Dawson Precision ones that are spec'd correctly. The irony is that DP makes the sights for CGW.

Haha gotcha, unfortunately i already used them (and the gun doesnt feed properly now) so its going back to get fixed. I'll declare it a firearm and they can wait for it to arrive. Thank you as always!

Holy shit their shipping advice is garbage. 

No one in the firearms industry ships overnight because they can ship cheaper with USPS so they do most of the time. Because they hold some form of FFL that lets them. 

Also it's an outright lie. Call tags for S&W are definitely overnight. 

If you ship 2 day and don't declare a firearm, if it goes missing you will be screwed. Thefts are high right now, don't follow their advice. 

Cheapest way I ahve found to do it right is UPS next day saver. It will probably get there next day. Might be early the second day. Either way it counts for UPS's next day requirement. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, raz-0 said:

Holy shit their shipping advice is garbage. 

No one in the firearms industry ships overnight because they can ship cheaper with USPS so they do most of the time. Because they hold some form of FFL that lets them. 

Also it's an outright lie. Call tags for S&W are definitely overnight. 

If you ship 2 day and don't declare a firearm, if it goes missing you will be screwed. Thefts are high right now, don't follow their advice. 

Cheapest way I ahve found to do it right is UPS next day saver. It will probably get there next day. Might be early the second day. Either way it counts for UPS's next day requirement. 

They gave me a shipping label for fed ex (since theres no reason its malfunctioning the day i received it. 

9 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

They gave me a shipping label for fed ex (since theres no reason its malfunctioning the day i received it. 

If they provided a call tag, use it. If it goes missing you can go after them for the gun and point at the advice on they're site vs the common carrier's recommendation. 

1 hour ago, JC_68Westy said:

I would personally use the shipping label provided by CGW.  Shipping a handgun overnight via UPS is very expensive. CGW is footing the bill. Are they listed as both the sender and recipient?

I'll find out in a bit, heading over to fed ex soon. 

14 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

If they provided a call tag, use it. If it goes missing you can go after them for the gun and point at the advice on they're site vs the common carrier's recommendation. 

Yeah but id rather them not lose my gun ! Lol honestly you would think they would've ran a few rounds through the gun to make sure it worked before sending it back.