Pizza Bob

I Got to Visit My Latest Acquisition Tonight

Thanks to OGAM I sometimes get a little backed-up at my dealer. I have two guns in OGAM limbo right now so it will probably be early October before I'll be able to get my latest. However, I do have two more in my sights, so to speak, and if they come to fruition, I'll just file for a Multiple Purchase Exemption and bring all four home at once.

I bought this at auction and whoever did the catalog goofed big-time. This is a S&W Model 29-3 from 1985. It is an Elmer Keith Commemorative - if you are under 50 you may be saying, "Who the heck is Elmer Keith?" Elmer is the father of the .44 Magnum and he was honored with this special issue one year after his death. These guns have special serial numbers starting with his initials - EMK. They made a run of 2500 guns - EMK0001 through EMK2500. Guns 0101 to 2500 had smooth Goncalo Alves Magna style grips. They were embellished in gold leaf with his picture on the side plate, titles of his books and the town where he lived on the cylinder, between the flutes, and some scroll work around the roll marks on the barrel.

Guns 0001 through 0100 were special. They still had essentially the same embellishments in gold leaf, only much more elaborate and they were equipped with pre-ban elephant ivory grips.

The auction house had three Keith commemoratives in the auction - two of the wooden gripped guns and one of the first hundred specials. The auction estimates for all three were the same. The special one was sandwiched between the two regular issue guns and when the first one hit the block, it went for a fair price of $100 over the high estimate. That kind of dashed my hopes. The special came up. I didn't have to bid as I'd submitted an absentee bid. When the hammer fell it went for a $100 LESS than the regular one that preceded it - which meant that I had won it. The Standard Catalog of S&W (4th Edition) which is the bible for S&W collectors, states that the first 100 guns are worth two to three times as much as the regular ones. WooooHooo.

Without further ado, One of One Hundred

29-3-EMK0079-A.jpg

29-3-EMK0079-B.jpg

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

17 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

No, but my kids probably will, so stand by, not sure how much longer I'll last.

Can i submit my contact info to your children now???    :rofl:

Awesome score and beautiful gun! Hope you live many many more years and get to enjoy it!