High Exposure

Flight Over Monmouth County - Looks like WWII planes

Can anyone ID these planes? Or does anyone know why a formation would be flying over today?

They just flew across Sandy Hook Bay heading south over Middletown in Monmouth County.

FcfmPax.jpg

I’m usually pretty good at ID but I’m stumped.

• single prop
• no visible marking on the wings

I can't ID them from the silhouettes, and I don't know of any nearby airshows they might be headed towards.

It's too early for them to be headed to this flyover next month, but I think it is going to be a memorable one.

End of WWII Commemorative Flyover of Washington DC

15 minutes ago, 10X said:

I can't ID them from the silhouettes, and I don't know of any nearby airshows they might be headed towards.

It's too early for them to be headed to this flyover next month, but I think it is going to be a memorable one.

End of WWII Commemorative Flyover of Washington DC

Same. I checked for any air shows around and found nothing....

9 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

Russians.  Time to lock and load!

Lol! My initial reaction was “Wolverines!!” I watched waiting to see little if little canopies fell out the ass end...

I don’t think they were transports/troop carriers as they only had a single prop in the nose, but the wings are big and the fuselage is wide. Weird proportions.

I thought the same; even checked their schedule website, which shows them performing in Chicago this coming weekend.  They might be headed there, or out for a practice session in advance of the show. They're based on Long Island.  I still can't be sure from the photo, though.

The long wings are the tipoff as @planenut noted. I remember seeing them in the air in Vietnam.  They were used as trainers.  IIRC they had one 30 Cal machinegun and the capability to carry small bombs and rockets.

I'm talking 30 years ago but a friend of mine in flight school had to put some hours in a T6 as a "high performance single engine" before he moved on to twins.