AlDente67

We buy houses guy calls me

I started getting calls from this guy who claims to pay top dollar in cash to current homeowners interested in selling.  I heard that the market is surging as many new Yorkers are getting out of Dodge, so I was curious to see what this guy had in mind.  I am not interested in selling, but if someone tosses me a number I can't refuse, I would listen.  I am near the train and bus routes to NY and Philly, so it might be reasonable to assume a premium could be on offer if a family wants to move out of Gotham quickly.

So the asks me a few questions like what has been upgraded in the last 3 years, etc. Then he asks what the condition is the house in, generally.  A simple google map search would show clearly the front at least, but anyway...

Then we get into the 'play coy' game of "what do you want for the house?" I said you called me, make me your best offer.  He replies that he pays based on area comps.  I know what the comps are based on recent sales of the same model.  So he refuses to spit out even a ballpark so I am thinking I am not actively selling, so if all he will offer is the same range that any MLS listing would go for, what is the point of all that hassle?  Plus he would have to build in his profit, so no way he will hit the comp level.  I suppose saving a realtor commission would be something, but still...

So instead of playing the game, I tell him I'm not interested and hang up.  He calls me back every other day to ask if I changed my mind.  It's as if I own the only house in NJ and 40,000 buyers are clamoring to pay 2x market value, no strings, all cash.  Uh, no.  Weird business there.

I have a small second house by the shore and I CONSTANTLY get calls about it.

I don't have a mailbox or landline at the house so I have no idea how they get my contact information in North Jersey.

Maybe they blindly go through tax records?

• Agree 1

This was my cell. I pick up because I do IT contracting under my own corp. Some jobs come via email contact and some via calls.

The number is on all the job boards.  Get a good number of leads that way.  Otherwise I would change my number every year (t-mob allows onefree one per year)

On 8/14/2020 at 11:00 AM, CMJeepster said:

The thing that my wife insists that we keep because cell service in the house is spotty at best.

Turn wifi calling on if you have the option. Verizon phones should, its been a very welled used function in my house. I can't make calls without them dropping and 50% of incoming calls aren't picked up. 100% reliable now. 

If lose interest, I lose my landlines anyway, since it ties into the cable modem.

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

Turn wifi calling on if you have the option. Verizon phones should, its been a very welled used function in my house. I can't make calls without them dropping and 50% of incoming calls aren't picked up. 100% reliable now. 

If lose interest, I lose my landlines anyway, since it ties into the cable modem.

I got that on, but it seems to drop out anyway.

1 minute ago, Handyman said:

I used to get calls like that. Just start asking them what they are wearing and make moaning and stroking noises and they'll stop. 

I’ll try this....unfortunately most of the ones I get are recorded messages....

36 minutes ago, Handyman said:

If you keep stroking and moaning long enough, sooner or later a live one will show up. 

How much experience do you HAVE with this??!! 

No wonder you never make it to any of the shoots. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

On a side note you have to watch with Wi-Fi calling if away from your home and needed to dial 911. When you enabled wireless calling for the first time you may have been prompted with a warning or disclaimer. In a nutshell say you are in a coffee shop and are connected to their wireless and if you called 911 and weren’t able to complete the call for some reason it is possible they could dispatch to your home or the phones registered address.

7 hours ago, CMJeepster said:

I got that on, but it seems to drop out anyway.

Are you on the 2.4 or 5GHz band? The 2.4 band isn’t as fast as the 5GHz but the 5GHz’s downfall is that it  don’t have the range or ability  to go through walls like the 2.4 band. the 2.4 band gets crowded so you may have to select one of the least crowded channels. I only use Wi-Fi calling in the house with router flashed with open source firmware. Our cellular sucks indoors but does work very well outside or in the car with BT.

As far as the spam calls we block everything, our phones only ring with our contacts. everyone else get voicemail or blocked.

14 hours ago, FXDX said:

On a side note you have to watch with Wi-Fi calling if away from your home and needed to dial 911. When you enabled wireless calling for the first time you may have been prompted with a warning or disclaimer. In a nutshell say you are in a coffee shop and are connected to their wireless and if you called 911 and weren’t able to complete the call for some reason it is possible they could dispatch to your home or the phones registered address.

Are you on the 2.4 or 5GHz band? The 2.4 band isn’t as fast as the 5GHz but the 5GHz’s downfall is that it  don’t have the range or ability  to go through walls like the 2.4 band. the 2.4 band gets crowded so you may have to select one of the least crowded channels. I only use Wi-Fi calling in the house with router flashed with open source firmware. Our cellular sucks indoors but does work very well outside or in the car with BT.

As far as the spam calls we block everything, our phones only ring with our contacts. everyone else get voicemail or blocked.