7 minutes ago, salvatorejrc said:

although I don't know anything about guns or ammo.

Welcome to forum, others can you much better advice about picking a long gun,  

but I would start with wherever you are located, take a class first. They are not really expensive and worth getting a feel for them. I call it money well spent.

I'm fairly new at this as well however from what I've gleaned from others the best home defense is a good quality AR 15 firing 223. However, these days that firearm and the ammo may be somewhat hard to find. 

The next best for home defense is a 12 gauge shotgun, a mossberg or other brand name budget pump shotgun should be affordable however you need to be aware that the recoil can be prohibitive for some and the shells are not cheap. I'd recommend renting/borrowing one if possible and having someone show you how to shoulder it before buying. 

The best gun to learn on though imo is a quality 22lr rifle, a good brand(ruger 10/22) wont typically break the bank and the ammo is still fairly available and somewhat cheap. However, that is a highly controversial choice for defense for a myriad of reasons. 

Ultimately though I think the best gun for someone is the one they are comfortable using and practice/train with. So try some stuff and find what you like. A 22lr is better than a pointy stick and if you like shooting it and want to go to the range/train that matters alot. If you hate shooting a shotgun and don't want to shoot it when it's fun, it may not serve you well when it is time to shoot seriously because you haven't put the time in.

18 hours ago, salvatorejrc said:

I just got my FID for long guns, although I don't know anything about guns or ammo. What is a good gun to get my hands on that will help me learn more but won't break the bank, at the same time being ideal at home defense?

AR-15 platform.

Various model and makes to chose from. Lots of aftermarket parts and accessories available. Low recoil, easy to maintain, etc. Most AR models can be easily made NJ compliant.

Prices are up across the board for everything now, not much can be done about that.

Even used pump shotguns are selling for crazy prices on Gunbroker. 

19 hours ago, salvatorejrc said:

I just got my FID for long guns, although I don't know anything about guns or ammo. What is a good gun to get my hands on that will help me learn more but won't break the bank, at the same time being ideal at home defense?

Congrats and welcome to the club!

I find these guys to be helpful:  Best Home Defense Gun [Shotgun vs Pistol vs Rifle]

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• olight.jpg

Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By Pat
      Hi guys , quick question, I have a friend who I'd like to gift my long gun to , but he does not have a firearms ID card or a hunting license,  can I still legally gift him one of my long guns  in New Jersey 
    • By salvatorejrc
      Hello,
      I have two questions regarding FID application. So I have seen three psychiatrists for ADD, and while I know this is not a disqualifying factor, I do not know the exact dates or years that I attended, and mind you that I am currently 20 and attended from ages around 7 to 17 or 18. This is a problem because the application asks this, and then asks for the names and dates of such occurences. Is it okay if I state that I do not know the dates of such occurences, or if I give the date estimations of which (I do know the names)? 
      My second question is regarding references. I do not know any police officers well enough to be able to ask them to use them for my FID, so will two friends that I grew up with do just fine? Thank you.
    • By Smokin .50
      CNJFO HOG HUNT SUNDAY JAN. 26TH! SAVE THE DATE!
      A PORKTASTIC GOOD TIME W/ 2A PATRIOTS & FRIENDS!
      by Black Wire Media Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 www.cnjfo.com/join-us
      The Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners is proud to announce we've scheduled our first Hog Hunt of the new season for Sunday January 26th. So mark your calendars and watch for our event page & sign-up on our website (coming SOON!). The guided Hunt is ideal for beginners & anyone looking for a challenge since this is a "NO license, ANY weapon" affair held on a 150 acre island in the middle of the Susquehanna River near Harrisburg, PA. Raffles, swag, lunch included. Stay Saturday night & party with us (Dutch Treat) OR come Sunday. A great way to fill the freezer & support NJ's busiest 2A group!
      Hunt includes hot lunch served on the island, field dressed hog, goody bag w/ swag items, raffles for great prizes (BRING CASH ON ISLAND) & all the memories you can take home!
      We recommend V. Roche & Son Butchers in Whitehouse Station, NJ.  A CNJFO sponsor, they have a renowned reputation for excellent service!
      Register HERE:  
      https://www.cnjfo.com/event-3629844

• By Nucrunner
      After reading so many references to the new FARS application and registration system, I stopped by my local PD to check it out. I believe it’s worth mentioning that not all PD’s are currently using the new system. So, before paying any fee’s or signing on to FARS you should check which system your PD is using.
      Sorry if this info is redundant to another post, again thought it was worth noting as all fees are non-refundable
      Firearms Application & Registration System (FARS)
      The State of New Jersey is now accepting firearms applications for Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards and Pistol Purchase Permits electronically. 
      The following Web site will allow an applicant to apply for Initial and Duplicate Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards and Permits to Purchase a Handgun: 
      https://njportal.com/NJSP/FARS
      If you reside in a New Jersey State Police covered area and are certain which NJSP Station you are applying through, utilize the following ORI #’s to apply.  If you are not certain, contact the NJSP station to obtain the proper ORI before applying.  All fees are non-refundable.
    • By Gunnz
      Guess the state has a new system for pistol permits and FID cards?!?

• I've said it before and I'll say it again. NJ Stautes, for the law abiding gun owner, only cover where you can possess hollowpoints.  They say nothing about where you can use them.    
    • I have a Springfield 1903 that I inherited long ago.  It was my grandfather's, my father's and finally mine but I know little about it! I also have the original bayonet that it came with.  It's made by Springfield and the serial # is 249839.  I have been told it's unsafe to shoot at that #. I have found that this 1903 was actually made in 1903 and has a casehardened receiver. I know that myself and my descendants have never fired it. The rifling looks brand new for a 119 year old rifle! I know nothing about it's value, how to judge it's condition, etc.  I put a few quick pics below and would appreciate any guidance you could give me.  
    • That paragraph describes the method of securing a firearm when being transported under a number of clauses in that section. You have to read the whole thing. It begins with: So look back to see what 2C:39-5 says about handguns and rifles/shotguns: Note the 2 underlined parts. If you have a permit to carry a handgun, possession of a handgun is not a crime. Therefore, you cannot be exempted, because there is no offence to be exempted from. However, almost nobody ever gets a permit to carry a handgun so almost all of us have to work under the exemptions for handguns. If you have an FPIC, possession of a rifle or shotgun is not a crime. Therefore, you cannot be exempted, because there is no offence to be exempted from. Notice that there is no mention of a loaded handgun, therefore all handguns are treated the same, loaded or not which is how carry permit holders can carry loaded handguns - it is not until you are forced to transport under the exemptions that being unloaded is required for handguns. However, possession of loaded rifles or shotguns is specifically called out as an offence. The thing you may realize from this is that if you have an FPIC, you do not have to adhere to 2C:39-6.g and can have the unloaded rifle or shotgun uncased. That is not to say you wouldn't potentially get jammed up under another charge, such as causing a public alarm or disturbance if you were walking down Main St with it on a sling, but you're not committing a firearms offence per se. Now go back and read what HE and I have said before - do not take my word for any of this. I am not a lawyer and this advice is worth no more than what you paid me for it. Read the whole of 2C:39 and 2C:58 and the relevant parts of the Admin Code, and then decide for yourself whether you believe me or need to ask someone who is actually qualified to explain this.
    • The statutes for transporting firearms do not specify handguns, but seem to apply to all firearms?   2C:39-6 g.   Any weapon being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
    • Passed my online exam, but no field sessions available yet. And can I bring a 12-gauge shotgun only, or do I have to use a muzzleloader too?   When do they resume?