Malice4you

New-to-me Anschutz 1807

So here is my newest acquisition, an Anschutz 1807 single shot .22LR.  I first heard of Anschutz 9 years ago, when I was waiting on my background check for my first gun purchase.  I saw a beautiful rifle at the store, but the pricetag was a bit too steep for me at that time.

I didn’t forget about the Anschutz name, and would occasionally torture myself looking at the website or pictures of various models over the years.  A few months ago, I started doing casual research, which became serious research and reading, which became browsing gunbroker, then setting up alerts on gunbroker, which turned into bidding on gunbroker.  It is a damn slippery slope, that researching stuff.

This 1807 features a trigger that is absolutely insane to me.  I can’t measure the trigger pull because my pull gauge doesn’t go nearly low enough, but it is around 2oz or less.  After the first trigger pull, it may have ruined most other triggers for me.  The Savage Mark II that I am used to shooting has a 12-14oz trigger pull, and I thought that was light, until I tried using the Mark II again after using the 1807 for a while.  I have no idea how I can use some of my old guns with much worse triggers ever again.

Accuracy is amazing too, capable of putting 3 rounds through the same hole with my barely above average shooting abilities without even finding the ammo the gun prefers yet.

It became my favorite gun before I’d even held it.  To say I was excited about it was an understatement – I had a permanent grin on my face from the day I bought it, and the NICS backlog was torture.

anschutz1807m.jpg

• Like 1

Love the Anschutz line!   There was a time when, for like two decades, every Olympic rifle medal was won by an Anschutz.

At the beginning of my sophomore year in college, after a really good freshman year on the varsity rifle team, I got to unbox a brand new 1413 free rifle, for my exclusive use the rest of my college years.   Unfortunately, the school felt strongly about not letting me take it when I graduated...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

tenor.gif?itemid=10029545

Next up - O/U?

Rifle alone was $1070.

Not sure what's next.  An O/U is one of the other things that has been calling my name since at least the first shotgun shoot I went to.  Also on list are a Vudoo V22 in an AICS chassis and a AI AW/AE/AT in .308 or one of the 6.5/6.8 calibers, though those  are a long, long way off, unless I do decide on consolidating and sell off a ton of guns.  I wanted the Anschutz for 9 years, but I've wanted an AI for at least 20 years

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

Wanted an AI for 20 years — I’d say its time to scratch that itch

I would probably have to sell off the majority of my guns to afford the setup I would like in an AI.  Not saying I haven't considered it, just not exactly an impulse buy for me.

Few more pics with my old Savages

93r17markii1807.jpg

93r17markii1807_2.jpg

93r17markii1807_3.jpg

5 hours ago, Malice4you said:

I would probably have to sell off the majority of my guns to afford the setup

Or, one of them fancy telephoto lenses you have.  That's some expensive shit right there.  Isn't there a couple old camera bodies you have collecting dust, maybe?

10 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

So has anyone who's played Counter Strike :)

Huh?  I played CS back in the day, like, a lot.  Was there an AI sniper rifle in game?  I mostly remember the impotent P90 and circle strafing the shit out of opponents.  It was a long long time ago.

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

Huh?  I played CS back in the day, like, a lot.  Was there an AI sniper rifle in game?  I mostly remember the impotent P90 and circle strafing the shit out of opponents.  It was a long long time ago.

AWP/AWM - Arctic Warfare Magnum.

7 hours ago, Malice4you said:

I would probably have to sell off the majority of my guns to afford the setup I would like in an AI.  Not saying I haven't considered it, just not exactly an impulse buy for me.

Few more pics with my old Savages

93r17markii1807.jpg

I get it, its not cheap — I look too — the money is something to consider, but it’s only money — we can make more

my biggest problem is the lack of anywhere fairly local to actually use the thing and it at least be challenging

thing is, We put these things off thinking that we have time,  it could be something as soon as Joe Biden winning the election — may never get the chance to own one if that happens

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Or, one of them fancy telephoto lenses you have.  That's some expensive shit right there.  Isn't there a couple old camera bodies you have collecting dust, maybe?

Anyone want to buy a Sigma 300-800mm f5.6 EX canon ef mount? :D

Some of those old camera bodies are worth next to nothing these days, sadly.

• Agree 1