beeblebrox

Ruger PC Carbine Question / Advice Requested

I recently purchased the state compliant Ruger PC Carbine (the black "tacticool" version with a pistol grip).  It has fixed pistol brace (I believe this is done at the factory).  The PCC is fine for me but both my wife and teenage son would benefit if I could shorten this firearm by five or six inches.

The barrel on this guy is just over 16", but the overall length is closer to 36".  The pistol brace is pinned back as far as it will go.

Per the NRA-ILA "Civilians are prohibited from possessing...rifles with an overall length less than 26 inches or a barrel less than 16 inches in length".

I understand that none of you can offer legal advice - I'm asking if you would you agree with my interpretation that shortening the length of the pistol brace or replacing it with a shorter one should be okay in NJ as long as it remains fixed and the overall length of the PCC is 26" or greater?

If you do agree, a bonus thank you if you have any advice or experience with removing and re-pinning this stock and/or a recommendation for a stock that may be more more suitable.  I haven't quite figured out how this one is fixed in the first place, if it's somehow welded I realize I might have to replace it all together (and pin that if it is adjustable).

Edited by beeblebrox
Wording/Clarity

Fixed pistol brace? This is a carbine your talking about right? I'm guessing you have a ruger pcc that has a stock on it. If thats the case then yes you would be correct that as long at the barrel is 16" and the overall length is 26" its legal. 

Thanks!  I called it a fixed pistol brace because I didn't know what else to call it - it's not a stock the way I think of a rifle stock.  I dug deep and found that it's a MAGPUL MOE Carbine Stock - so I should have just called it that - apologies for the confusion!  I think I was worried I'd use the incorrect term (both for NJ or here) and over did it :)

48 minutes ago, beeblebrox said:

Thanks!  I called it a fixed pistol brace because I didn't know what else to call it - it's not a stock the way I think of a rifle stock.  I dug deep and found that it's a MAGPUL MOE Carbine Stock - so I should have just called it that - apologies for the confusion!  I think I was worried I'd use the incorrect term (both for NJ or here) and over did it :)

No worries I figured you weren't talking about the new ruger charger pistol because thet aren't NJ legal. 

That's got a Magpul MOE Carbine stock on it.  MOE Carbine stock on an AR is ~13.8 in length of pull.  Specs on the Ruger site say it's got a LOP of 13.75", so that's right on.

Depending on how the stock is pinned, you may or may not be able to remove it and reposition then re-pin.  You may need to replace the entire buffer assembly and put on a different stock that's pinned in the proper position.

I would bring it to a shop/gunsmith to see what options are available.  I think you're in South Jersey - go see my buddy Scott at SWAT Firearms in Hammonton.

44 minutes ago, beeblebrox said:

I don't get down that way very often, but I also enjoy going around and checking out gun shops and ranges in the area, I hadn't heard of that one - I'll give it a shot.  Thanks so much for the advice and the recommendation.

Typically those stocks are “permanently modified” in one of 2 ways....... blind pinning or taking out the adjusting pin and tapping and running an Allen cap screw up into bottom indexing holes in the bottom of the buffer tube....

so I’d look along this flat area on both sides where I marked it red .... you may see a 1/8”ish roll pin only visible from one side ... secondly look up from the bottom in the whole I drew an arrow to and see if you see a spring and a cross pin or an alien cap screw....

does the lever that you would use to release and adjust the stock move freely or is it locked tight? What part of jersey are you in?

38F067D0-722A-4500-A136-4885F73D45DE.jpeg

Does it look like “epoxy” or other substance filling an Allen cap screw? If so that could be possibly be scraped/cleaned out with a combination of tools...picks, exacto/utility knife etc screw removed placed where you want and then redrilled/fastened/epoxied