Jump to content
Grapeshot

Beretta M9 to .22 conversion

Recommended Posts

I have a few 22LR conversion slides and don't care for any of them. All of them require me to use CCI mini mags to be reliable. Regular 22LR ammo does not cycle the slide in a reliable manner. I found that the dedicated 22LR semi-autos that just have a bolt that slides is much more reliable. I have a few Ruger's (MK I and 2 MK IV's) and a Browning Buckmark and have found these to be way more reliable with standard ammo (cheaper to shoot). I have no experience with them but have heard a lot of good things about the S&W Victory as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Beretta Inox loves CCI mini mags. Not so much the HPs though. Federals are hit-n-miss. No really! I can't believe how bad they shoot. The new CCI polycoat I sometimes get a F2F. But always fun to shoot and you don't have to burn a permit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JC_68Westy said:

I have a few 22LR conversion slides and don't care for any of them. All of them require me to use CCI mini mags to be reliable. Regular 22LR ammo does not cycle the slide in a reliable manner. I found that the dedicated 22LR semi-autos that just have a bolt that slides is much more reliable. I have a few Ruger's (MK I and 2 MK IV's) and a Browning Buckmark and have found these to be way more reliable with standard ammo (cheaper to shoot). I have no experience with them but have heard a lot of good things about the S&W Victory as well.

Agree.

I think the conversion kits are good for occasional practice where you don't mind clearing jams every now and then, but if you want something that will go bang every time without hunting for specific ammo, I think a dedicated .22 makes more sense.

I had a conversion kit on an EAA Witness that i taught a couple of my kids to shoot on, and the fact that there were occasional FTE's, or FTF's was actually a GOOD thing.  Taught them how to quickly and safely clear and cycle the gun and keep firing.

Once my daughter started doing Steel Challenge and other competitive matches I got her a Ruger Mark IV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SmittyMHS said:

Which we've become...and you guys are on the way to. I hope you're warning them there.

I have, they don't need any warning. The main difference is that we have a real gun culture here. The mountain I live on has shooting all the time. I am stating to set up a steel range on my property this weekend. I bought a bunch of steel targets and now have to make the stands.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

I have, they don't need any warning. The main difference is that we have a real gun culture here. The mountain I live on has shooting all the time. I am stating to set up a steel range on my property this weekend. I bought a bunch of steel targets and now have to make the stands.

More or less the same here except I can't safely shoot on my property but white mountian national forest is a few hundred yards from my house and its completely open to shoot anywhere that's not on a forest road or camp site. It's actually normal for me to hear people shooting in the old quarry near the hotel I work at. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, El Jefe said:

I also own a Beretta (M93) what is the advantages of going .22?

As the others have mentioned, the difference in ammo price allows you to put a LOT of rounds downrange for a LOT less money.

With the .22 you don't have much recoil, so you can focus on fundamentals rally concentrate on the drills you run. 

As I mentioned earlier, conversion kits can be a bit finicky with ammo, so you'll get practice clearing jams/mis-feeds, etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine came in today.  Not bad looking if I have to say so myself.

VkkyHk5.jpg

Open up the box...

zVy7WYO.jpg

Packed nicely.  Comes with 1 mag, barrel, recoil spring and slide had some heavy grease on it.  Red thing is a chamber flag.  Also comes with a replacement front sight.

XGINUo2.jpg

Pc1Na8G.jpg

Yes, it's made by Umarex

bXtdksm.jpg

Slide is significantly lighter than the M9A3 slide.

boWQ8Bq.jpg

1zZ2JCO.jpg

De-greased it, oiled it up, and looks really nice.

9DejDyV.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Received mine today. Build quality looks great, and fits perfectly on my M9. Decocker is a little stiff, but I guess that will wear in. 

It is MUCH lighter than the standard M9 - feels like a totally different gun. Will try to get to the range this weekend, but it may have to wait until next week.

I bought a ton of .22 after the last shortage - time to start using some of that up!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ran through a couple hundred rounds.  CCI Mini Mags (40gr RN and 38gr HP) ran spectacularly.  Aguila SuperExtra High Velocity - no issues.  Aguila SuperExtra Subsonic actually cycled for the most part.  Slide wouldn't lock back but it cycled just fine.  CCI Quiet - nope.  FTE several times.  I wasn't expecting it to work.

If the Aguila SuperExtra subsonic ran through with no issues, then it definitely looks like regular bulk .22LR will work.

Best part is that if you get a light strike or hangfire, since it's DA/SA, you can just pull the trigger again.  No light strikes with the CCI Mini Mags or the SuperExtra HV.  On the SuperExtra Subsonic, I got a couple of light strikes but just DA pulled through them.

image0.jpg

Very happy with this conversion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took my 92FS Inox with the .22 kit to the range today with a friend who just got his first gun (the same gun).  He never fired a gun in his life so I used my .22 converted pistol to train him how to shoot. When I was satisfied with his progress, I let him shoot his new 92FS for the first time. He did well once I finally convinced him to stop putting his left thumb behind the slide!

I am completely happy with the conversion kit!  It ran flawlessly from the first round to the last! Over 200 rounds of CCI Mini Mags.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I took my 92FS Inox with the .22 kit to the range today with a friend who just got his first gun (the same gun).  He never fired a gun in his life so I used my .22 converted pistol to train him how to shoot. When I was satisfied with his progress, I let him shoot his new 92FS for the first time. He did well once I finally convinced him to stop putting his left thumb behind the slide!

I am completely happy with the conversion kit!  It ran flawlessly from the first round to the last! Over 200 rounds of CCI Mini Mags.

Did you run it with any other ammo?  I purposely tried lighter stuff to see how it would run.  Aguila SuperExtra subsonic actually ran through it and mostly cycled.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I ran through a couple boxes of CCI Blazer .22LR today too with no hiccups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...