revenger

America out of ammo

To put a bit of a silver lining on it, "America out of Ammo" or "The Country is Literally out of Ammunition", as the linked story is titled, also means "Americans are in Possession of Record Amounts of Ammunition".

It's the wholesale and retail channels that have dried up.   Ammo consumption hasn't skyrocketed the way that ammo purchasing has, and as a result there is a lot more ammunition in private hands.

It's not all good news.   Wholesalers and retailers are suffering without adequate product to sell, and the many, many new gun owners are strapped for finding ammunition for their new purchases, largely due to greater purchasing volume (and/or outright hoarding) by gun owners who have been through cycles like this a time or two.

33 minutes ago, 10X said:

To put a bit of a silver lining on it, "America out of Ammo" or "The Country is Literally out of Ammunition", as the linked story is titled, also means "Americans are in Possession of Record Amounts of Ammunition"..

I like the sound of that. I fit right in.

2 hours ago, 10X said:

Americans are in Possession of Record Amounts of Ammunition

I resemble that remark. The last time this happened I swore this would never happen to me again. Last year I looked at my ammo inventory and said to myself "Maybe you went a little overboard". Last night I looked and said "Maybe you should've bought a little more". 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Grapeshot said:

I resemble that remark. The last time this happened I swore this would never happen to me again. Last year I looked at my ammo inventory and said to myself "Maybe you went a little overboard". Last night I looked and said "Maybe you should've bought a little more". 

Me too!!!!

16 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

Me too!!!!

ssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !  :)

loose+lips+sink+ships.png

Its kind of like when the new says - " He had an arsenal and was found with a shotgun, bayonet and 20 rounds of ammo "

fqtfk.jpg

Nuff said............  :)

All this talk got me inventorying as well - now I gotta figure how to move all this stuff - 

logistics-woody-logistics.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Unless you need Excel to manage your 'inventory', you don't have enough.

Excel?  No.   Oracle RDBMS!

• Haha 2
  • FacePalm 1

5 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Unless you need Excel to manage your 'inventory', you don't have enough.

Thanks for reminding me I needed to do an edit.

10 hours ago, brucin said:

Thanks for reminding me I needed to do an edit.

I gave up tracking specific inflows and outflows quite a while ago. Now it's an 'inventory' conducted when I think things have changed significantly.

Sort of like the Pharaohs counting the jewels in their Treasure Rooms.

26 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

I gave up tracking specific inflows and outflows quite a while ago. Now it's an 'inventory' conducted when I think things have changed significantly.

Counting boxes or cases seems like a lot of work.  Much simpler to just to measure floor joist deflection under your ammo stash; when the floor isn't sagging sufficiently, it's time to buy more ammo.

That won't work if you are storing it on a concrete slab, but in that case tracking the distance from the top of stash to the ceiling would probably be a decent metric.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, 10X said:

Counting boxes or cases seems like a lot of work.  Much simpler to just to measure floor joist deflection under your ammo stash; when the floor isn't sagging sufficiently, it's time to buy more ammo.

That won't work if you are storing it on a concrete slab, but in that case tracking the distance from the top of stash to the ceiling would probably be a decent metric.

You could just mount each caliber in a cabinet sitting  on 4 wheatstone bridges.  Once you figure out out the single bullet weight, you can get an accurate count.   You could then also pop in a raspberry Pi module that uploads the data and it could alert you of pilferage.

17 minutes ago, 10X said:

Much simpler to just to measure floor joist deflection under your ammo stash; when the floor isn't sagging sufficiently, it's time to buy more ammo.

How did you know that's my system?

Wifey will ask, "what's that new box in the other closet", then the light bulb goes off, and she just says "never mind".

They don't build houses like they use to...

I wish I had a basement...

38 minutes ago, 10X said:

OK, I'll have to uncase my transit and rod and get a base measurement.

25 minutes ago, Malsua said:

You could just mount each caliber in a cabinet sitting  on 4 wheatstone bridges.  Once you figure out out the single bullet weight, you can get an accurate count.   You could then also pop in a raspberry Pi module that uploads the data and it could alert you of pilferage.

That's a good idea. I'll work on an ammo version of Partender. If it works on booze it should work on ammo.

RoundTender?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is an ammo shortage and it will likely continue for some time after the election. Those who feel it the most are individuals who only own guns chambered in the most popular calibers, 9mm, .223. 7.62 etc. Ammo can still be had, there is plenty of 7.62 nagant, 7.62 tokarev, 38 special,(+P), 380 ACP(a little harder to get), 22TCM, 10mm, 30-30 win, 40SW, you get the idea.... 

:secret: shh, the secret is to buy calibers that people don't normally care for.

14 minutes ago, marlintag said:

There is an ammo shortage and it will likely continue for some time after the election. Those who feel it the most are individuals who only own guns chambered in the most popular calibers, 9mm, .223. 7.62 etc.

The guys who were good Boy Scouts, don't feel it.

8 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Sort of like the Pharaohs counting the jewels in their Treasure Rooms.

That's exactly what I do, on no particular schedule.  When I'm feeling the urge, I'll get in there to sort things out and run a tally on what I have.  Takes quite awhile, I'm happy to report.  Last time I did it was a few months ago during the Corona lockdown. 

My question is... what's everyone's strategy here on "replenishment"? For the sake of argument, for those who feel you have a "comfortable" amount on the shelf (whatever your own personal measure of "comfortable" is...), are you:  

1. buying now as you normally would (assuming you can get it) during this period of high mark-ups - as part of your regular, on-going replenishment strategy? and just assuming the increased price will be buffered by cheaper purchases in the past and future? (dollar cost averaging)
  2. buying now (again, if you can get it), but perhaps buying in somewhat smaller amounts... and then stocking up at higher volumes in the future if and when supply & prices normalize?
  3. not buying any ammo at these crazy prices, but instead... slowing down your shooting schedule to conserve ammo?  

Personally, I won't do #3 - only because I got really thrown off my shooting schedule for about 6 months - between family issues, COVID-19, etc., it's only been recently that I've even started to get back to the range. Nothing's going to stop me, lol. If anything, I'll just shoot cheap .22 - which I have in good supply - and when I shoot .45 I'll collect my brass, and finally learn how to use my vintage reloading press (gifted from a family member), so that I can s-t-r-e-t-c-h each round and get several uses out of it. (Fortunately, same generous relative also has powders and primers I can use to get started... I know, so lucky! :blush:).

36 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

My question is... what's everyone's strategy here on "replenishment"?

An hour on the Dillon and I’ve replenished 400 rounds.  Repeat as needed.  I’m in pretty good shape for components and what little factory ammo I shoot, especially since the plan is to move out west in three years, and moving companies won’t generally take ammo or components. 

• Like 1

Also a mix of 2 & 3.  I hang out at the local gun shop and people are still trading in / dropping off ammo.  Every once in a while I score some at a decent price.  Not cheap like before, but decent.  For various reasons I also haven't been shooting as much so I have about the same amount now as I had a year ago.

I guess I’m a solid 4.  :D  I stopped buying Ammo about 3-4 months back when 9mm hit .35 cpr.  That’s when when I started buying more reloading components.  Picked up shot and wads for SG and about 5k 124 grain FMJ.  I have 3k more on back order so I should be ok for about a year.  If this mess is still here in 12 months...well, that will suck.

you guys are lucky. Due to the current market and my financial situation, I just can't stomach throwing $50 (conservative estimate) down range every outing. And that doesn't include the range fees if I decide to go somewhere else other than cherry ridge.