revenger

America out of ammo

I moved a box the other day and found 1k rounds of 9mm.

Wee, bonus.  I forgot all about that case.

I'm not buying a thing unless it's a reasonable deal.  I learned my lesson.   I was in Ohio round about 2008 visiting family, I bought two bricks of .22.  It was $12 if I recall.  Six months later if you could find it, it was $25 a brick.  I kicked myself.

When the deals were back some years ago, I stocked up.  

When I saw deals on here that were convenient, I stocked up more.

Now I'm still stocked up.   I only get to the range once a month at most so I'm good for a while.

5 minutes ago, Malsua said:

I moved a box the other day and found 1k rounds of 9mm.

Wee, bonus.  I forgot all about that case.

I'm not buying a thing unless it's a reasonable deal.  I learned my lesson.   I was in Ohio round about 2008 visiting family, I bought two bricks of .22.  It was $12 if I recall.  Six months later if you could find it, it was $25 a brick.  I kicked myself.

When the deals were back some years ago, I stocked up.  

When I saw deals on here that were convenient, I stocked up more.

Now I'm still stocked up.   I only get to the range once a month at most so I'm good for a while.

Christmas came early, nice find.

FYI Rogers wants both your DL & FID.

New Jersey – With Restrictions

The following calibers may be shipped without additional documentation:

• .223 / 5.56
  • 7.62x39
  • .308 / 7.62x51
  • 30-30
  • 30-06
  • 12 gauge
  • 20 gauge

All other calibers require the following valid documents to be on file with Rogers Sporting Goods prior to shipping:

• Driver’s License (or State ID)
  • and ONE of the following Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (or) Permit to purchase a handgun (or) Permit to carry a handgun.

Restricted calibers may only be shipped to an address on the Permit, or Driver’s License/State ID.

Documents can be submitted through our Contact Form, or by calling 816-883-4545.

On 8/24/2020 at 10:50 PM, njJoniGuy said:

It's NOT inventory

Inventory implies it's an asset of a business

It's your COLLECTION

No it really doesn't. 

One of the several definitions of the word in the dictionary

"a formal list of the property of a person or estate."

Last I checked I'm a person and my ammo is my property and can be inventoried. 

And I quote (emphasis mine): 

"New production Federal 223 ammo with a reloadable brass case and a 55 grain copper FMJ bullet. Great target ammo. Most likely the last shipment at this price."

2 hours ago, 45Doll said:

And I quote (emphasis mine): 

"New production Federal 223 ammo with a reloadable brass case and a 55 grain copper FMJ bullet. Great target ammo. Most likely the last shipment at this price."

I wonder how much more the price per round will be. 

2 hours ago, silverado427 said:

Federal 223 55gr  fmj/bt   $ .75 a round from SGA  I might just have to put a case or two up for sale.

Ha...

My lead and brass has gone up more in value then my gold and silver or investment accounts..  :imsohappy:

On 8/24/2020 at 3:03 PM, Grapeshot said:

I resemble that remark. The last time this happened I swore this would never happen to me again. Last year I looked at my ammo inventory and said to myself "Maybe you went a little overboard". Last night I looked and said "Maybe you should've bought a little more". 

Q.F.T.

• Agree 1

On 8/23/2020 at 10:34 PM, JohnnyB said:

I'll agree whoever owns this is off to a really good start. Seriously though.....In SHTF, this meager supply just ain't gonna cut it! 

Where are the full cases? He is heavy on shotgun ammo but far too light on rifle and pistol ammo as far as I can see from the pic!

Other than the display and lighting, I am not impressed with the quantities! It may be pretty but it's not a good way to store ammo for the long term.

I am at 1/28th of this rack

7 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Thanks but they are price gouging and I refuse to support such behavior!:mad:

8 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

My LGS and range is selling Blazer 9mm for $14 a box and always has it in stock!  A formal NJ CLEO who refuses to cheat his patrons!

Unfortunately that's not a sustainable business model.  In the current market, your LGS will be unable to replenish stock anywhere near that price.

• Agree 2

From an article on Bearing Arms:

"Scottsdale-based ammunition company Ammo Incorporated is facing an $80.1 million order backlog amid record demand for ammunition.

“We’re working right now seven days a week, 24 hours a day in all the manufacturing plants,” said CEO Fred Wagenhals."

I've never heard of Ammo Inc, they don't sell to NJ even if they had stock.

"Scottsdale-based ammunition company Ammo Incorporated is facing an $80.1 million order backlog amid record demand for ammunition.

“We’re working right now seven days a week, 24 hours a day in all the manufacturing plants,” said CEO Fred Wagenhals."

I've never heard of Ammo Inc, they don't sell to NJ even if they had stock.

26 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

definitely need more ammo manufacturers or the very least, to allow more imports here provided they are good quality.  We haven't even tapped some of the NATO suppliers

Supply and demand.

In "normal" times there's not enough demand to make it profitable.

There were several ammo companies that I'm aware of that started up after the last panic started (just before the Trump Presidential election).  They had early success because demand was still high, but as the panic eased they found it difficult to stay in business so they either folded or did bankruptcy reorgs.

On 9/28/2020 at 9:56 AM, 45Doll said:

Here's an updated story on the firearm and ammo shortage from the Washington Times.

From the article:

Joe Hawk, the owner of Guns & Roses in Toms River, New Jersey, said he has seen potential customers become crestfallen when they learn guns are out of stock and on back-order because of soaring demand.

“It’s almost a scale of desperation you see on these people’s faces. You can’t help them. You can’t supply them with something,” Mr. Hawk said.

Guns & Roses has seen high demand for all types of firearms, but in particular the Glock 17 and Glock 19, two of the company’s popular 9 mm handguns.

Mr. Hawk, though, said the stores has been trying to steer new customers into buying revolvers or weapons with a built-in safety mechanism.

“On the long gun end, they ask for a home-protection shotgun,” he said.

He said customers are asking for Remington and Mossberg brands, but Remington’s bankruptcy filing and logistics issues in Mossberg’s barrel line are affecting the supply chain.

Interesting choice for a quote source?  I rarely hear him mentioned on this forum.

• Informative 1

32 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Supply and demand.

In "normal" times there's not enough demand to make it profitable.

There were several ammo companies that I'm aware of that started up after the last panic started (just before the Trump Presidential election).  They had early success because demand was still high, but as the panic eased they found it difficult to stay in business so they either folded or did bankruptcy reorgs.

yes an no, if reread what I said, we only tap on mostly domestic sources but Europe has plenty of manufacturers that supply NATO who we don't import.  It's there.....

We've got Bosnian ammo, Polish, and now Lithuanian supplying ammo to NATO and they have capacity given the procurement requirement schedule for NATO.    it's there.....

27 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

From the article:

Interesting choice for a quote source?  I rarely hear him mentioned on this forum.

not only that but I want to see quotes where they say, 'I tell them to remember this when you vote'   lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kc17 said:

I just saw that story... I wonder if they will have a IPO? I'd like to get some of that action...  :ok:

2 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

yes an no, if reread what I said, we only tap on mostly domestic sources but Europe has plenty of manufacturers that supply NATO who we don't import.  It's there.....

Yes, I considered that aspect of it as well.  If you had an import contract right now you'd be sitting pretty, but the margins are very slim in "normal" times when we can buy 9mm ammo for $0.15/round.  Add the challenges of shipping, storage, distribution, customs, US taxes, foreign national taxes, foreign local taxes, etc, etc, and it makes it challenging to see a return on investment for bottom-shelf items.

Sportsman's Guide is a good example of an organization that has the capital and resources available to do it from time to time.  That's why we see a lot of one time sales of off-brand import ammo from them.