B4LLZNJ

New to the gun world! Trusting the process!

Good morning all,

I recently acquired my ID card and my 2 permits. I think I've everything expected from a noob. I've rented 21 guns from four different ranges.I've made my first purchased and had it shipped from the Carolinas. For my first gun I decided on the M&P 9mm 2.0 pc c.o.r.e in 5". Its at my local gun shop now we are waiting on the NICS.However now I'm at the stage of picking a range. I've been to Guns for hire , RTSP in Union and Randolph and We shoot down by Lakewood . All public ranges, What would you guys and gals say as the pro's and cons of private vs public? Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Its time to pick a home range!

• Like 1

Welcome to the pro-2A world!  

Public ranges are just that - public.  Anyone can go in.  They can also be very expensive in the long run.

Since you're in Old Bridge, you may want to check out OBRPC http://www.obrpc.org/  - a private indoor and outdoor range.  The price to join is a bit high at first, but if you see yourself staying here and being a member for a long time, it can be worth it.

Range 14 is fairly close to you, and last time I bought 1 year pass, the cost was only $60.  You do have to pay for the actual rental time but it is pretty cheap.  They dont care what you shoot as long as you handle it safely.

Only caveat is that you have to be an NRA  member.

thank you fellas, OBRPC ...the outdoor range is real close. However I really want to check out as many as I can. The decision for the M&P was pretty easy actually. It was the most comfortable to shoot. Anyone know who I should be looking to speak with at OBRPC?

Do they have a tour? How is the demeanor of the members? Do they have any trainers?  I know what I'm asking is very forward but I need to size it up. Before getting my fid card I visited a gun store, I got to tell you if personal and family protection wasn't involved I probably would have walked away from this. I'm sure some of you guys can remember when you first got involved with the sport/hobby! It at times can be overwhelming and there's a lot of uncertainty. 

On 8/25/2020 at 12:55 PM, B4LLZNJ said:

thank you fellas, OBRPC ...the outdoor range is real close. However I really want to check out as many as I can. The decision for the M&P was pretty easy actually. It was the most comfortable to shoot. Anyone know who I should be looking to speak with at OBRPC?

You can start with Rosey here on the board. His board moniker is Smokin50.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

3 hours ago, B4LLZNJ said:

Do they have a tour?

Sort of, on signup day.  If I was still there I would guest you.  Check with @Smokin .50 (aka "Rosey") he may be willing to do one for you or know who would

How is the demeanor of the members?

Generally great! But just like anywhere else I am sure there are bad apples.

Do they have any trainers? 

I don't believe so, and AFAIK you generally won't find this at a private club.  You will for sure though at a commercial range.

Before getting my fid card I visited a gun store, I got to tell you if personal and family protection wasn't involved I probably would have walked away from this. I'm sure some of you guys can remember when you first got involved with the sport/hobby! It at times can be overwhelming and there's a lot of uncertainty. 

That's why we're here on NJGF, we want to see you succeed!

On 8/26/2020 at 11:28 AM, B4LLZNJ said:

Do they have a tour? How is the demeanor of the members? Do they have any trainers?  I know what I'm asking is very forward but I need to size it up. Before getting my fid card I visited a gun store, I got to tell you if personal and family protection wasn't involved I probably would have walked away from this. I'm sure some of you guys can remember when you first got involved with the sport/hobby! It at times can be overwhelming and there's a lot of uncertainty. 

Welcome tothe forums.  Sounds like a solid first purchase! 

Don't worry.  All of us were newbies at some point.  It can be a little duanting at first, especially with how "accommodating" NJ is to gun owners.  

I've never taken formal lessons before but my understanding is you sign up for the classes and the range time is included.  Instructors also teach classes at various differenct locations so I wouldn't necessarily tie your membership to a range to what classes are offered at the range most convenient to you.  If you plan on taking a lot of classes that may be a different story.

Keep an eye on the Meet Up forum for get togethers such as clay shoots out in Clinton and Pints & Patriots (which is def WAY overdue and once life returns to normal we need to set up again!).

Again, welcome.  Enjoy & be safe!