I have doing some research on the MAS 49/56 rifle for a few weeks now and may purchase one in the right condition.   Detachable magazines seem to be available, however, ammo (7.5mm French) is not.  I wonder if anyone has any experience firing this rifle and, if yes, what is your source for ammo.  Although it has a rifle grenade launcher, I'm certain that it can be made NJ compliant.  I'd have to find an FFL to do that work.  The FFL I normally use does not perform NJ compliant work. Any other comments would be welcome.

Privi Partizan produces very reliable commercial 7.5mm French ammo, however the primers are more sensitive than military surplus and slam fire is a know issue with the MAS 49/56 using commercial ammo. The best solution is to invest additional $95 for a titanium firing pin replacement - lighter yet solid (https://phillittleguns.com). As for NJ compliance, it has a detachable mag, a flash hider and a grenade launcher ring so you have three "evil features". The best is to get a gunsmith to modify the flash hider into a brake by reducing the muzzle exit (e.g. welding and finishing a washer). Mike Fiesta of Tier One Defense has done that before.   Enjoy,

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 7:33 PM, BM59 said:

Privi Partizan produces very reliable commercial 7.5mm French ammo, however the primers are more sensitive than military surplus and slam fire is a know issue with the MAS 49/56 using commercial ammo. The best solution is to invest additional $95 for a titanium firing pin replacement - lighter yet solid (https://phillittleguns.com). As for NJ compliance, it has a detachable mag, a flash hider and a grenade launcher ring so you have three "evil features". The best is to get a gunsmith to modify the flash hider into a brake by reducing the muzzle exit (e.g. welding and finishing a washer). Mike Fiesta of Tier One Defense has done that before.   Enjoy,

Detachable magazine is a qualifier not an "evil feature". The muzzle device is a compensator/grenade launcher, so that would be only one evil feature at best. The rifle is NJ legal in it's original configuration.

I have PPU 7.5 French ammo in stock.

“A. semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following: 
  1. a folding or telescoping stock; 
  2. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; 
  3. a bayonet mount; 
  4. a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and 
  5. a grenade launcher;”

The Mas has both flash suppressor and grenade launcher ring =2, and as such is not legal in original configuration according to NJ laws.

Here is a related thread from a California shooter forum dealing with the same issue: 

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1409144

1 hour ago, BM59 said:
“A. semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following: 
  1. a folding or telescoping stock; 
  2. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; 
  3. a bayonet mount; 
  4. a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and 
  5. a grenade launcher;”

The Mas has both flash suppressor and grenade launcher ring =2, and as such is not legal in original configuration according to NJ laws.

Here is a related thread from a California shooter forum dealing with the same issue: 

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1409144

The muzzlebrake (call it a flash suppressor if you like) is required to be on the rifle to launch grenades. If it was removed the remaining ring would be incapable of launching grenades and you would be left with one evil feature - a threaded barrel. So the ring in itself is not an evil feature. There is only one device on that rifle that is an evil feature. I don't bother looking a California's ever changing regulations since they are very different from what the other anti gun states regulations are - Yugo 59/66 SKS rifles are illegal in CA because of the grenade launcher.

Following that logic a M1A with flash hider / bayo lug would be legal then, as the lug is on the same  device which once removed would leave you with no evil features? I would not try to argue that in court and neither I would  risk with possessing an unmodified 49/56. And it has a flash suppressor not a muzzle brake, as the muzzle exit is way bigger than 7.5mm. 

Sad truth is that NJ gun laws suck and it will only get worse.