not sure where to put this...figure this should be the place.

looking at a 15+ acre chunk of land. undeveloped, and not buildible. land locked, but access is through state game lands. it's in monroe township, and it huntable.

now....i don't hunt. but i feel i could use it as my own personal little range.

does anyone know the discharge laws for monroe twp? and advice?

Good luck on the purchase. I've been looking around in the Pinelands for land to do the same thing, a personal tactical range, but it's tough to find land that has nothing around it.

You might want to call the Chief of Police and ask him directly the discharge laws.

Just did a quick search and saw this:

...."WHEREAS the Police Chief of the Township of Monroe has recommended certain amendments to the Township’s Ordinance regarding the discharge and possession of firearms; and 

No person shall discharge any firearm or arrow within the limits of the Township or across any part of the Township, nor shall any person have in his possession a loaded gun or nocked arrow while within 450 feet of any occupied building, except the owner or lessee of such building or a person specifically authorized in writing by such owner or lessee, or within 450 feet of any Township-owned property or any school playground.” 

https://www.monroetwp.com/index.php/monroe-council-minutes/341-monroe-council-minutes-10-5-2016

Not sure if that is the current ordinance, best to check with the Chief.

How will you physically be getting to the property? Is there an access road that permits vehicles? Thats pretty rare except for the Pinelands.

Some idiot from NYC did this behind my neighbors house, took a minute to figure out what was going on.  Purchased a parcel that was land locked by private property, apparently the guy just helped himself to trespassing..  he found out the hard way that the power lines he thought was a great access point, is littered with ticks once the brush grows in for the season... he never did come back 2 years now.

1 minute ago, JackDaWack said:

I'm not finding any ordinances for "firearms" or "discharge" through the search function. 

Yeah, I tried that too, and couldn't find anything, except for the Minutes of that meeting that I posted. That's why I think the best bet is to get it directly from the horse's mouth, the Chief.

40 minutes ago, Sniper said:

...."WHEREAS the Police Chief of the Township of Monroe has recommended certain amendments to the Township’s Ordinance regarding the discharge and possession of firearms; and 

No person shall discharge any firearm or arrow within the limits of the Township or across any part of the Township, nor shall any person have in his possession a loaded gun or nocked arrow while within 450 feet of any occupied building, except the owner or lessee of such building or a person specifically authorized in writing by such owner or lessee, or within 450 feet of any Township-owned property or any school playground.” 

https://www.monroetwp.com/index.php/monroe-council-minutes/341-monroe-council-minutes-10-5-2016

i tried googling, and didn't even find what you did.

37 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

How will you physically be getting to the property? Is there an access road that permits vehicles? Thats pretty rare except for the Pinelands.

Some idiot from NYC did this behind my neighbors house, took a minute to figure out what was going on.  Purchased a parcel that was land locked by private property, apparently the guy just helped himself to trespassing..  he found out the hard way that the power lines he thought was a great access point, is littered with ticks once the brush grows in for the season... he never did come back 2 years now.

state owned property bordering it has access road.

30 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Yeah, I tried that too, and couldn't find anything, except for the Minutes of that meeting that I posted. That's why I think the best bet is to get it directly from the horse's mouth, the Chief.

The minutes say it was withdrawn from consideration. 

16 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

The minutes say it was withdrawn from consideration. 

So, the question is, does a ordinance like that exist, or is it a free fire zone?

22 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

state owned property bordering it has access road.

Isn't this quite a hike from where you live?

2 minutes ago, Sniper said:

So, the question is, does a ordinance like that exist, or is it a free fire zone?

Isn't this quite a hike from where you live?

no sir. it's only about 20-30 minutes from my home. i went down to the area, but couldn't find the access road(going tomorrow after work). only took me 35 minutes from cherry hill

Just now, Sniper said:

I'm under the impression the ordinances need to be up to date and published in the link i posted. The agenda item to modify the ordinances to include firearm discharge was removed from consideration as late as 2016. Thats a pretty good indicator that one does not in fact exist. 

If the purpose is to purchase propert for shooting activities i would be very considerate of the overall situation, like why the ordinance was even suggested or the fact it made it as far as the agenda. If the place is changing for the worse may not be worth the investment.. and who will you sell that land to if one is eventually passed.

I've seen that 450 feet set back law in other towns, so maybe they were trying to play catch up, but with the township being rural, they might not be ready. If this land is next to protected land, and there isn't any potential residential property within that 450 set back, he might be fine for the future.

That's why I've been looking around the Pinelands. To get approvals to build is really tough, so I'm hoping to find some parcel surrounded by other protected land.

9 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I've seen that 450 feet set back law in other towns, so maybe they were trying to play catch up, but with the township being rural, they might not be ready. If this land is next to protected land, and there isn't any potential residential property within that 450 set back, he might be fine for the future.

That;s why I've been looking around the Pinelands. To get approvals to build is really tough, so I'm hoping to find some parcel surrounded by other protected land.

I didn't read into it that far, but it sounded like firearm discharge was banned entirely, except for certain uses like self defense. The 450 foot in this case was simple possession of a loaded firearm.. ive never seen that one before. Which is why I'm curious how something like this made it that far in such a place. 

But yes, towns seem to be adopting a minimum distance that allow discharging, or worse out right ban it. 

Even up here  in Vernon of all places I beleive you need to get a permit and have an inspection of your back stop to shoot on ur property.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sniper said:

That;s why I've been looking around the Pinelands. To get approvals to build is really tough, so I'm hoping to find some parcel surrounded by other protected land.

it's just overe 15 acres,.,,,,,,i think that covers the 450ft thing?

15 acres isn’t that big, really depends how its laid out

Discharging a firearm and a home, private range are going to be 2 different things — Is there a natural backstop thats not trees?

also I would expect a lot of trespassers being surrounded by state land, especially with an access road

• Like 1

I’ll reiterate here what I told you in person. 

Land is (usually) always a good investment. They aren’t making it anymore. Lol.

Eventually, somebody will pay you more than what you have in it, but I would consider that since it’s not ‘build-able’, you will be greatly reducing the pool for potential buyers. 

As we discussed, you could probably park a trailer on it, and use it as a ‘get away’ place, or maybe a hunting camp...although 15 acres isn’t much to hunt on. Eventually, you’ll get sick of hauling water out of there, and where to dump sanitary tanks...poop in a bucket? 

Since it backs up to state game land, you’re likely to have a lot of ‘visitors’, fenced or not, during hunting season. Someone stumbling onto, or parking their tree stand on your hunting grounds/get away place when you don’t expect it, is...unpleasant. 
Believe me, even with 750 acres like I have, it’s an eye opening experience. 

Unless this land is cheap, and the taxes are nil...if it were my money, I’d pass. 
You WILL try to sell it eventually...in my mind, there are some drawbacks to it that greatly limit its marketability.

Don’t let me talk you out of spending your money...I’m just giving you a couple of things to think about. 

• Like 2

On 8/25/2020 at 4:49 PM, Displaced Texan said:

Eventually, somebody will pay you more than what you have in it, but I would consider that since it’s not ‘build-able’, you will be greatly reducing the pool for potential buyers. 

As we discussed, you could probably park a trailer on it, and use it as a ‘get away’ place, or maybe a hunting camp...although 15 acres isn’t much to hunt on. Eventually, you’ll get sick of hauling water out of there, and where to dump sanitary tanks...poop in a bucket? 

Since it backs up to state game land, you’re likely to have a lot of ‘visitors’, fenced or not, during hunting season. Someone stumbling onto, or parking their tree stand on your hunting grounds/get away place when you don’t expect it, is...unpleasant. 

Unless this land is cheap, and the taxes are nil...if it were my money, I’d pass. 
You WILL try to sell it eventually...in my mind, there are some drawbacks to it that greatly limit its marketability.

Don’t let me talk you out of spending your money...I’m just giving you a couple of things to think about. 

believe me, i appreciate the advice and input. you gave me a whole bunch of things to think about that i wasn't.......

Guarantee someone is currently hunting it.  Guys look for private non posted property. They always check tax maps.   Sometimes they even post it themselves to keep guys out. Lol. Saw it in Chatsworth last month (was looking at leasing a piece to hunt). 

In Jersey 15 acres is plenty to hunt. Definitely for bow hunting.  Gun hunting will be decided by property lines/boundaries. 

Good luck in this journey. 

On 8/24/2020 at 10:22 PM, Sniper said:

That is a hunting ordinance. Nothing to do with discharge laws. A lot of less populated NJ towns have no ordinances concerning discharge of firearms. 

On 8/25/2020 at 4:49 PM, Displaced Texan said:

i also forgot.....remember.....with other things we talked about, i'm only about a mile or possibly 2 from you. if you or family ever needs anything lemme know. i can be there super quick. also......you happen to know murphys?

44 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

That is a hunting ordinance. Nothing to do with discharge laws. A lot of less populated NJ towns have no ordinances concerning discharge of firearms. 

There is no need for hunting ordinances. NJ state law already regulates the 450 rule, everywhere. Hunting regulations are pretty strict, but they only apply to someone engaged in hunting. 

Local ordinances attempt to regulate target shooting, since NJ does not have a single law regulating that activity on private property.

• Agree 1