SJG

Murphy Budget Guns Fees

An increase of $48 on the fee people must pay to buy a handgun permit in the state and an increase of $95 on the fee for every firearms identification card, among other gun fee hikes.

more info here

this was mentioned before and I asked my FFL and he said that was shot down by Sweeney so I guess its  being kicked around again. if he thinks he's going to bail out the state on the backs on gun owners, smokers and any millionaires remaining in NJ that's like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, FXDX said:

more info here

this was mentioned before and I asked my FFL and he said that was shot down by Sweeney so I guess its  being kicked around again. if he thinks he's going to bail out the state on the backs on gun owners, smokers and any millionaires left in NJ that's like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

This one is not so much about the money just an opportunity to kick N.J. gun buyers in the head.

Expect it to pass this time, Dems have corona virus cover now.

The big money comes from the $4.4 billion he wants to borrow and hand over to the state pension fund.

6 hours ago, Bomber said:

...... just another  opportunity to kick N.J. gun buyers in the head.

FIFY

As far as “big money” you could thank Gov Whitman the Republican for the pension fiasco. After torpedoing the NJ state pension plan she went on to become the head of the EPA under Bush 2 and that's didn't go well for her either. Now she’s trying to be relevant again by backing Biden.

if you read the article it also said “There would also be no cuts to school funding, sources said”. So how’s that going to work? is it going to be business as usual and are classrooms going to be at capacity and are the school buses going to run their regular schedules? I think not, even college students are asking for a reduction in their college tuition because they are limited to remote learning. Keep an eye on the local govs too because they likely have plans in the works for property taxes increases. BTW 87 days and counting waiting for my pistol permit process..

• Like 1

$2 to $50 is a 2400% increase.

Adjusted for inflation, $2 in 1966 turns into $15.99 in 2020.

I get that the $2 is not a lot of money, and probably not enough to cover just the cost of the carbon copy paper the permit is printed on, but a 2400% increase is just an anti-gun move. I could accept an adjusted for inflation increase as a compromise. Yes, I know the p2p process is archaic and a waste of hours of time all around, and compromising with the NJ political machine is just delaying the inevitable and continued erosion of our 2A rights.

• Informative 1

From an APP article

...."He wants to restore the sales tax on limousines and undo an exemption and cap on the tax for boat and yacht sales, raising an estimated $13 million and $7 million respectively. The governor has proposed increasing the cigarette tax by $4.35 per pack, generating $143 million revenue, and raising gun and ammunition taxes, generating $6.3 million."

See where it says AMMO, so it's NOT just permits...

If you can find it, better start stacking it!!

25 minutes ago, Sniper said:

From an APP article

...."He wants to restore the sales tax on limousines and undo an exemption and cap on the tax for boat and yacht sales, raising an estimated $13 million and $7 million respectively. The governor has proposed increasing the cigarette tax by $4.35 per pack, generating $143 million revenue, and raising gun and ammunition taxes, generating $6.3 million."

See where it says AMMO, so it's NOT just permits...

If you can find it, better start stacking it!!

I can't find in that article how much the ammo tax is going to be. Anyone have any info?. Also, any idea when this would get implemented? I'm assuming January 2021?

37 minutes ago, dsuave624 said:

I can't find in that article how much the ammo tax is going to be. Anyone have any info?. Also, any idea when this would get implemented?

My guess, it will be implemented on in-state ammo sales. He'll probably put major tax reporting requirements on out of state Internet suppliers, so just more will just stop selling to NJ, as they won't want to deal with the tracking and sending of tax receipts.

This is Murphy's back door plan to slow down firearm sales... just make getting "food" to feed them more difficult.

His budget needs to be passed by the legislature... let's see if any of them have some balls...

what the 2A organizations should do is rent an out of state facility just over the river or coordinate with someone over there so we can ship our ammo to .   you order your ammo than drive to pick it up.    Maybe their is an entrepreneur over there willing to "rent" out his address for a small fee.  call it the Freedom Ammo Co-op

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, revenger said:

what the 2A organizations should do is rent an out of state facility just over the river or coordinate with someone over there so we can ship our ammo to .   you order your ammo than drive to pick it up.    

NJ has used NJ police resources to stake out parking lots at PA fireworks stores near border crossings.   I suspect they'll get even more stupid over something like this.

21 minutes ago, 10X said:

NJ has used NJ police resources to stake out parking lots at PA fireworks stores near border crossings.   I suspect they'll get even more stupid over something like this.

They aren't there preventing you buying something legal, they are preventing you transporting something not legal in NJ into NJ. 

You can buy ammo in any state you want. If NJ starts trying to interfere,  I'm pretty sure one can start causing them much pain with the federal government. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

You can buy ammo in any state you want. If NJ starts trying to interfere,  I'm pretty sure one can start causing them much pain with the federal government. 

You can't buy ammo in California if you aren't a resident. When California implemented the background check requirement for buying ammunition, they specifically excluded non-residents from qualifying.

CT and MA have permitting requirements for buying ammo, though it is possible to qualify as a non-resident.  Still interference, though.

Murphy has said he wants to make NJ the California of the east.   He watches every bit of liberal wet-dream legislation they pass, and asks himself 'how can I do something similar, but even more stupid?'

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, 10X said:

You can't buy ammo in California if you aren't a resident. When California implemented the background check requirement for buying ammunition, they specifically excluded non-residents from qualifying.

CT and MA have permitting requirements for buying ammo, though it is possible to qualify as a non-resident.  Still interference, though.

Murphy has said he wants to make NJ the California of the east.   He watches every bit of liberal wet-dream legislation they pass, and asks himself 'how can I do something similar, but even more stupid?'

California is regulating sale within california. Which they are in theory allowed to do ( I mean with how the commerce clause has been stretched, it affects a product shipped in from outside of CA, so should be able ot be the target of federal ire, but...). Same with CT and MA. Even NJ to date. The only place it comes into play crossing borders, and that is mail order. Which has some precedent for the laws of both ends of the transaction applying to the member in that state. 

This would once again be NJ trying to regulate things outside of their borders and that historically isn't working out for them too well. When I go to PA or any other free state to buy ammo, I just buy ammo... according to the rules of that state where I am and the seller is at the time of sale. And they deliver the goods purchased in that state face to face in said state. interfering with that would be like trying to get cabelas to collect NJ sales tax on people from NJ in their stores not in NJ. 

44 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

This would once again be NJ trying to regulate things outside of their borders and that historically isn't working out for them too well. When I go to PA or any other free state to buy ammo, I just buy ammo... according to the rules of that state where I am and the seller is at the time of sale. 

I think NJ will again try to regulate things outside of their borders.   California residents cannot buy ammo out of state and bring it back with them.  Not since the background check law passed.   There was a brief stay, but an appeals court upheld the law a few months ago.  California residents can't drive across the border and buy ammo in Nevada.   Which is why I'm concerned about what NJ might do.  If they're willing to use police to stem the flow of roman candles from PA, I don't think they'll hesitate to be even more heavy handed when it comes to ammunition.

• Agree 1

I was searching to see what his exact ammo tax is that he's proposing. Only thing I found is what he said back in March:

....."Murphy is asking lawmakers to raise the cost of a $2 gun application to $50, and a firearm ID card from $5 to $100, according to the state’s treasury department.

The Democratic governor also proposed a 2.5% tax on firearms and a 10% tax on ammunition."

He's also taking a shot at other leisure activities, like boats. If you're planning on buying a boat, plan ahead:

...."Undo the exemption and cap on sales and use tax for new and used boats: Currently, boat sales are provided a 50 percent sales tax exemption and the total tax is capped at $20,000 per sale. The restoration of the full sales tax and elimination of the cap would yield an estimated $7.0 million over eight months of FY 2021."

This is just another attempt at making our lives more difficult and will do nothing to raise needed revenue. Even with all the new gun owners in NJ, we still account for a very small percentage of the population. According to a recent article (can't remember the article) only 14.6 percent of NJ households have firearms. The only other state that has less firearms per household was NY. Even if you account for deviation that still low compared to all other states. This percentage also does not account for the many NJ gun owners that are intending to move out of NJ soon. The Governor and his ilk are fully united in seeing us all too ruin, while their enforcement arm (NJ Police) are all too happy to jam up gun owners on criminal charges for the most minor infraction. I wanted to mention that NJ police also routinely send letters to employers informing them of your interest in guns, and also notify your neighbors of your gun purchases as well. Their unity is a stark contrast to NJ gun owners who bicker and infight over the most trivial matters, who express fear that orthodox Jewry are moving into their neighborhoods(you know who you are-shame on you), and do absolutely nothing to help, educate, or uplift fellow gun owners. My hope now is that there are enough diverse, new NJ gun owners to make a difference in the next gubernatorial election. 

5 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Agh yes, my favorite. Paying for other people's kids. I'm sure that money will be spent wisely. 

Am I reading this right?

The person gets $1270 after 18 years? What are they going to do with that?

The state can add more? Of my money? There kidding right?

The New York Times projects that, based on bond rates, the $1,000 bond would amount to approximately $1,270 with interest after 18 years; Murphy told the Times that the state “reserve the right” to add even more money to children’s account, calling the $1,000 proposal “the start.”

2 hours ago, voyager9 said:

yup them getto thugs will be popping out of them ovens like hot cakes