Cheflife15

Deep clean central nj

Any gun shops do deep cleans on pistols? Also approximately how many rounds need to go through it where this is necessary? 

Im in the central jersey area, any suggestions of where to go? 

I know I'm going to get "clean it yourself" and as much as thats on my list of things to learn, right now i simply dont have the time or confidence to take on that project. 

2 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

Any gun shops do deep cleans on pistols? Also approximately how many rounds need to go through it where this is necessary? 

I know I'm going to get "clean it yourself" and as much as thats on my list of things to learn, right now i simply dont have the time or confidence to take on that project. 

Buy the gun.  Spray it down with alcohol.  Won't hurt the gun.

Enjoy.

Why is this a question?

36 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Buy the gun.  Spray it down with alcohol.  Won't hurt the gun.

Enjoy.

Why is this a question?

Are you talking about total strip downs?

Totally unnecessary.

I have a Combat Commander from 1974. It was used.  Got it a complete strip download in 2000 after a bazillion rounds but it was dtopping the hammer to half cock.  Had a very competent pistolsmith correct it.

Complete deep cleans are a myth.

3 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Are you talking about total strip downs?

Totally unnecessary.

I have a Combat Commander from 1974. It was used.  Got it a complete strip download in 2000 after a bazillion rounds but it was dtopping the hammer to half cock.  Had a very competent pistolsmith correct it.

Complete deep cleans are a myth.

This is what i was implying. Was debating a complete strip down, cleaning of parts and rebuilding. 

Im just very ocd about keeping them extremely clean. 

I mean it's a simple question because I've read dirty guns don't function as well. 

4 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

dirty guns don't function as well

That's true, but "dirty" is also subjective.  As an analogy, a dirty car also gets lower MPG, but are you going to wash your car every day?

it's more than likely that your pistol is not nearly dirty enough that it won't function well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

This is what i was implying. Was debating a complete strip down, cleaning of parts and rebuilding. 

Im just very ocd about keeping them extremely clean. 

I mean it's a simple question because I've read dirty guns don't function as well. 

There is no need for a periodic disassembly of a firearm.  If the gun is working what are you rebuilding?  If you keep on taking a gun apart those pins and pin holes will wear out.

There are times I've bought a gun that lived in a sock drawer it's entire life.  It had been bathed in petroleum based oil and as a result was pretty gummed up.  Dried up oil looks a lot like rust.  I use Break Free as its worked for me for about 30 years.

There are issues that can be caused by improper cleaning.  A lot of people clean semiautomatics by slopping solvent inside the slide and leaving it to soak with the slide upside down.  This allows all that gunk to collect in the firing pin channel.  This will cause problems eventually.

I've carried a variety of guns under horrible conditions.  Never needed a complete strip down.

5 hours ago, Zeke said:

Buy an ultrasonic and do it yourself. 

Ultrasonics are over rated in my opinion nephew.  I never saw a gun that didnt get its cleaning problems solved with a solvent bath followed by Gunscrubber or Brake Kleen and a proper lube.  Start with WD40 if the gun has been immersed in water.  You may have to take the side plate off on a revolver.

• Thanks 1

Just now, GRIZ said:

There is no need for a periodic disassembly of a firearm.  If the gun is working what are you rebuilding?  If you keep on taking a gun apart those pins and pin holes will wear out.

There are times I've bought a gun that lived in a sock drawer it's entire life.  It had been bathed in petroleum based oil and as a result was pretty gummed up.  Dried up oil looks a lot like rust.  I use Break Free as its worked for me for about 30 years.

There are issues that can be caused by improper cleaning.  A lot of people clean semiautomatics by slopping solvent inside the slide and leaving it to soak with the slide upside down.  This allows all that gunk to collect in the firing pin channel.  This will cause problems eventually.

I've carried a variety of guns under horrible conditions.  Never needed a complete strip down.

Ultrasonics are over rated in my opinion nephew.  I never saw a gun that didnt get its cleaning problems solved with a solvent bath followed by Gunscrubber or Brake Kleen and a proper lube.  Start with WD40 if the gun has been immersed in water.  You may have to take the side plate off on a revolver.

Ya but it is like Ron popeal ! Set and forget.

keep in mind @Cheflife15is new. And is learning. Maybe overthinking some stuff. I was good about cleaning when I started out. Now.... notsomuch

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

This is a necessary skill. Take 2 hours to watch some youtube videos and do a field strip and clean. If it even takes that long. 

As for how many rounds? Depends on the gun. For example, a desert eagle is gas delayed blowback and shoots revolver ammo. With the cleanest ammo I have found for it that functions, it NEEDS to be cleaned every 300 rounds and that includes throroughly cleaning the gas system. 

Most of my guns, the limiting factor is how nasty it gets and my willingness to tolerate it, not functioning. 3-4k with a little lube added along the way is about where the gross factor comes into play. 

1 hour ago, raz-0 said:

This is a necessary skill. Take 2 hours to watch some youtube videos and do a field strip and clean. If it even takes that long. 

As for how many rounds? Depends on the gun. For example, a desert eagle is gas delayed blowback and shoots revolver ammo. With the cleanest ammo I have found for it that functions, it NEEDS to be cleaned every 300 rounds and that includes throroughly cleaning the gas system. 

Most of my guns, the limiting factor is how nasty it gets and my willingness to tolerate it, not functioning. 3-4k with a little lube added along the way is about where the gross factor comes into play. 

Im at about 3k rounds on one of my guns, i wipe and oil it after every range trip. Was just debating if its necessary to really strip the whole thing down to clean springs, etc. Anyone ever use an air blower ? 

8 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Im at about 3k rounds on one of my guns, i wipe and oil it after every range trip. Was just debating if its necessary to really strip the whole thing down to clean springs, etc. Anyone ever use an air blower ? 

Field stripping is sufficient.  Wiping a gun down with oil is not cleaning it.  You need to clean the bore and insides.

Compressed air is useful to blow out solvent.

1 minute ago, GRIZ said:

Field stripping is sufficient.  Wiping a gun down with oil is not cleaning it.  You need to clean the bore and insides.

Compressed air is useful to blow out solvent.

Also cleaned each time. Use a brush, solvent and a snake

19 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

Also cleaned each time. Use a brush, solvent and a snake

You're describing a basic field strip and (proper) cleaning, so if that's done every time you shoot the gun then the need for a "deep clean" is greatly reduced.  If you're shooting a couple hundred rounds through a clean gun, and then cleaning it when you get home from the range, you should be good for a very long time.

One thing to watch for is using too much oil and/or solvents.  If you lather the gun with cleaners and oils there's a chance they could build up over time, so less is more.

I use compressed air after I clean things to make sure that I don't leave any gunk behind.

• Thanks 1

Don’t overthink it. It’s a tool, you don’t have to sanitize it. 

I don’t think I’ve ever cleaned my Citori, and it has several thousand rounds through it, from shooting clays. 
My semi auto got cleaned after a couple of clay shoots (5-700 rounds) only because the gas port/piston got gunked up, and short stroked. 

ARs, I wipe down the BCG and the bolt, and lube it. I don’t go crazy. 

I’m more fastidious with handguns, I’ll field strip them every so often, and keep them lubed. I’ll clean the bores with a brush and solvent. 
Less is more with lube and solvent, as it has a tendency to attract dirt that could gum up the works. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2020 at 3:28 AM, GRIZ said:

The only time to take a gun all apart is if it's broken.

Unless you want to marvel of the pure genius of John Moses Browning, and care to take down your 1911 to its smallest individual component parts and not have to use a single tool from your toolbox, just one spent case from a .45acp round.

29 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

Unless you want to marvel of the pure genius of John Moses Browning, and care to take down your 1911 to its smallest individual component parts and not have to use a single tool from your toolbox, just one spent case from a .45acp round.

But how ro you get the pins out that are less than .45" in diameter? I don't think the slide catch will cut it either. 

31 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

I can understand the curiosity of seeing how your gun works by taking it all apart.  However, gunsmiths have made a lot putting back together guns people have taken apart.  Strip a Marlin 60 down to its smallest component and you're probably going to wind up shipping it to the factory.  A very frustrating job most gunsmiths don't want to bother with.

6 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

But how ro you get the pins out that are less than .45" in diameter? I don't think the slide catch will cut it either. 

If you can get the smaller pins out with the firing pin, the pins and/or the holes are worn out.

20 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

If you can get the smaller pins out with the firing pin, the pins and/or the holes are worn out.

Ok firing pin might do it, but how do you get teh firing pin retainer out? A .45 case isn't going to push the firing pin in far enough to get it out? 

You can field strip the gun with a .45 case, or even with your bare hands depending on how tight the barrel is fit. with a mil-spec setup with half length guide rod anyway. But this is the first I have seen someone claim it's all you need for a detail strip, and I'm failing to get past the "push things through small holes" bottleneck. 

I'm also not going to count grip bushings as they are supposed to not be removed and are staked. 

Also having trouble visualizing if the firing pin is small enough to extract the main spring cap pin. 

Easy find was the tool-less reassembly instructions:

https://youtu.be/0xlRvyKsiLs

I did a quick search for the tool-less disassembly video, but could not lay my fingers on it right now.

But it's out there, I've done it!

ETA:

No tools detail strip 1911