shooter28

6.5 ammo choice

I’m working on setting up a elk out in CO this fall and plan on bringing my 6.5cm out with me. Anyone here hunt with that caliber? I’m looking at various hunting ammo and not sure where to start. My rifle barrel was cut for the Hornady ELD/ELD-X rounds but I’m reading the ELD-X doesn’t work all that well on elk. Breaks up too easily and doesn’t penetrate. Looking at other rounds such as Nosler Long Range Accubond, Barnes TSX/TTSX, or the Hornady 120 GMX Superformance. 

Ultimately the will depend on what my rifle likes the best as accuracy will be critical but any opinions are welcome. I would say 400 yards would probably be max distance I would shoot. 

I don't own a 6.5 Creedmoor, so can't comment on its effectiveness on game. Friends who have it swear it's the bee's knees for deer-sized game. I don't know anyone who have used this on elk. I think you've answered your own question though. I would pick a factory load that shoots well in your rifle that launches a stoutly constructed bullet for larger game like elk. Accubond or a strong bullet from Barnes would be my picks. 

6.5 Creedmore seems to me to be a bit light for an elk.  I think the 6.5 Creedmore is stretching it for elk at 400yds. The lightest bullet I would use for elk is 180g and that would be in .308, .30-06, or 300 Win Mag. My favorite rifle caliber for hunting is .270 Win and I wouldn't use it for elk.

22 hours ago, JC_68Westy said:

6.5 Creedmore seems to me to be a bit light for an elk.  I think the 6.5 Creedmore is stretching it for elk at 400yds. The lightest bullet I would use for elk is 180g and that would be in .308, .30-06, or 300 Win Mag. My favorite rifle caliber for hunting is .270 Win and I wouldn't use it for elk.

It would not be my first choice for elk if going out West, but under optimal conditions if you pick your shots, I'm sure it would work. 

I would call this shot opportunity "optimal":

I think a 30-06 would be your caliber of choice here.  Anyone can find the one offs like above and  yes with shot placement it will work but Elk are not deer nor are they black bear.  Elk hunting demands something more for ethical hunting imho.

On 8/28/2020 at 8:31 AM, Parker said:

It would not be my first choice for elk if going out West, but under optimal conditions if you pick your shots, I'm sure it would work. 

I would call this shot opportunity "optimal":

I think this guy is an a$$hole at 600+ yds with a 124gr 6.5cm.  No doubt the round is accurate but at that range, a 308 or 30-06 is every bit as spot on and that's with a heavier bullet.  Not to mention they cut the camera as the bull dropped and you could see some movement continued.  No way that was a 'nice little exit wound' and dropped that sucker.  just one man's opinion

13 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I think this guy is an a$$hole at 600+ yds with a 124gr 6.5cm.  No doubt the round is accurate but at that range, a 308 or 30-06 is every bit as spot on and that's with a heavier bullet.  Not to mention they cut the camera as the bull dropped and you could see some movement continued.  No way that was a 'nice little exit wound' and dropped that sucker.  just one man's opinion

Note that I referenced the video and shot opportunity as "optimal." Optimal meaning you can see far and wide where those elk are in the event they run. Presenting a broadside opportunity for a lung shot w/o hitting large bones in the shoulder is also optimal for a light bullet. Wounded elk in thick timber without snow covering are tough to track and they can cover a lot of ground. 

Wayne van Zwoll is no amateur or stunt shooter, has authored more than a dozen books on hunting and shooting, and is someone respected in the industry. https://blog.hornady.com/q-a-with-writer-wayne-van-zwoll-61a188ca6e0

My buddy took an elk this past season with his .270 Win.; one-shot @ 165 yds. with a 150 gr. Nosler Partition and had no qualms using it. (Many today think this cartridge is on the "light" side for elk yet optimal for dear-sized game.) 

Folks are quick to opinions and lament cartridges & light bullet weight yet no one sneezes at bowhunters who take 40 yd. shots at elk every season and are successful. (What's the ME energy and velocity of an arrow affixed to a broadhead compared to a rifle round?)

Would a .26 cal. be my first choice on elk? Maybe if I was using a well-constructed heavy bullet in a .264 Win. Mag. or .260 Nosler. It would have energy to carry to target near and far, and a bullet with good S.D. for penetration. 

When it comes to the rifle, it's still the Indian, not the arrow. 

2 hours ago, Parker said:

Note that I referenced the video and shot opportunity as "optimal." Optimal meaning you can see far and wide where those elk are in the event they run. Presenting a broadside opportunity for a lung shot w/o hitting large bones in the shoulder is also optimal for a light bullet. Wounded elk in thick timber without snow covering are tough to track and they can cover a lot of ground. 

Wayne van Zwoll is no amateur or stunt shooter, has authored more than a dozen books on hunting and shooting, and is someone respected in the industry. https://blog.hornady.com/q-a-with-writer-wayne-van-zwoll-61a188ca6e0

My buddy took an elk this past season with his .270 Win.; one-shot @ 165 yds. with a 150 gr. Nosler Partition and had no qualms using it. (Many today think this cartridge is on the "light" side for elk yet optimal for dear-sized game.) 

Folks are quick to opinions and lament cartridges & light bullet weight yet no one sneezes at bowhunters who take 40 yd. shots at elk every season and are successful. (What's the ME energy and velocity of an arrow affixed to a broadhead compared to a rifle round?)

Would a .26 cal. be my first choice on elk? Maybe if I was using a well-constructed heavy bullet in a .264 Win. Mag. or .260 Nosler. It would have energy to carry to target near and far, and a bullet with good S.D. for penetration. 

I'm not lamenting smaller weight calibers but you yourself just proved my point here "Would a .26 cal. be my first choice on elk? Maybe if I was using a well-constructed heavy bullet in a .264 Win. Mag. or .260 Nosler. It would have energy to carry to target near and far, and a bullet with good S.D. for penetration", have a creed myself but the .264 win mag is FAR superior in every category than the creed at 400yds, apples to oranges really.  .264wm is really a lethal does of giddy up:).  Hell the 160gr will push over 100fps fast than the cm at muzzle and have 15% more energy at 400yds the cm.  LOVE that .264wm and wish it was more popular.  I even like the 25-06 which is superior to the creed.  Again, not lamenting smaller calibers at all but the 30-06 is the measuring stick due to bullet selection and the casing capacity. 

your buddy with the .270 at 165yds is a hell of a lot better than the cm at 400+ on the elk although I too would think the .270 on the light side although, I absolutely agree on it's lethality being underrepresented. 

I have a 6.5cm and it's certainly soft, straight, flat, resistant to temp/wind variables that other calibers get hit harder than and I've only stretched it to 600yds in VA. 

respectfully, I don't give a fk about Wayne's credentials (Gore authored books, was a vp, spoke at UN on scientific issues but he's no authority) because they called it 'dropped dead and clean through' when it clearly was not as the bull was moving on the ground more than hit twitch and they cut it fast not to mention how the fk are they calling it right through at the shot???  My own eyes are my authority on this one plus  the math is on my side.  A 6.5cm is not going to be as good as a heavier 308 or 30-06 for bigger game.  I am fully on board with the creed abilities and it's a great round but it's unethical to shoot elk with that 124gr hornady round at 400+ yds and if you watch the vid in slow motion, you can see that was not a drop dead shot.

agree on the indian and not the arrow but relying too much on shot placement with lower weight bullets on big game leads to unnecessary and more than likely unethical, suffering of the animal.

not trying to sound like a douche and typing doesn't have tone so read this as my just talking:)   do absolutely love the .264wm and the .270 however.  :):):D

great discussion though

3 hours ago, Parker said:

An arrow is not lethal due to energy or velocity (I know energy is determined using mass and velocity).  A broadhead kills by causing massive blood loss by cutting arteries and tissue. Very different than the damage a bullet creates. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Parker said:

This article is a good read, and low and behold the author thinks the 6.5 Creedmoor belongs in the class of "Western cartridges."

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/hunting/the-best-cartridges-for-hunting-western-big-game/

Terrible article really, with much missing.  He contradicted himself once and any cartridge that relies on shot placement,  his term 3x discussing 6.5, is not what you want. He also is not up to speed on charts based on his 06 discussion or is just a bad writer. 

There are plenty of hunter forums and I've yet to see anyone recommend a 6.5.  Now there is western game that its fine for but not the big stuff imho.

I do enjoy this debate discussion though.

Oh. I'm a 9mm guy so i tilt there on that debate..lol