grazzie

Fees assosicated with FID, fingerprinting, permits

I looked around for a complete list of fees associated with 1) initially applying for a FID, fingerprinting and permits and 2) fees associated with applying for additional permit(s) at a later date (after you already have your FID). Reason I'm asking is, I just applied online for one permit paid $18 for the NJSP 212A Statutory Fee plus $3 for a Service Fee totaling $21 to complete the application. (And $2 was due at a later date for the permit.) My friend just applied for his initial FID plus 3 permits and he didn't pay anything at the time of the online application. I don't remember what I paid in 2016 for my initial FID, fingerprinting, permit and fees, but don't remember paying $18.

Can anyone please list all of the associated fees involved with 1)initially applying for a FID, fingerprinting, and permits, vs 2) just applying for a permit(s) after you already have your FID? Or if it's listed somewhere, let me know. Thank you!

5 for FPID

2 per pistol permit

18 for background check

60 or so for fingerprinting. 

Should only be paying 2 per permit after that and 18 for Background check. Special circumstances can apply... like s request to refingerprint or lost duplicate FPID

• Like 1

Thanks. I think they're still using Identigo for printing. 

I had to pay $21 to finish the application for ONE permit but my friend didn't owe anything when applying for an FID and permits. Trying to figure out the fees.

Before the electronic process a few years ago, where in the process was $18 due? Was it paid at the beginning?

My friend just applied for a FID and 3 permits (Toms River) and didn't pay anything to finish the application. I guess he'll pay the $18 at a different time? He was told that $11 was due at a later time. ($5 for FID and $6 for 3 permits). Maybe each town has a different sequence on how they're billed?

44 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

5 for FPID

2 per pistol permit

18 for background check

60 or so for fingerprinting. 

Should only be paying 2 per permit after that and 18 for Background check. Special circumstances can apply... like s request to refingerprint or lost duplicate FPID

That's what I thought. So the $18 (+$3 svc fee) for the background check occurs every time you apply for a permit INCLUDING the first time? When one initially applies, is the $18 a part of the $55-60 fingerprinting fee or is it paid separate in addition to?

24 minutes ago, grazzie said:

That's what I thought. So the $18 (+$3 svc fee) for the background check occurs every time you apply for a permit INCLUDING the first time? When one initially applies, is the $18 a part of the $55-60 fingerprinting fee or is it paid separate in addition to?

18 for background is everytime you apply. I think there is an exception if you apply for more permits in short order, im not sure on how soon after though. It is a seperate fee from fingerprints. 

the background check fee has been electronic for years now, went to a website and paid it. Brought a receipt to the police department. Since at least 2016 its been like that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

18 for background is everytime you apply. I think there is an exception if you apply for more permits in short order, im not sure on how soon after though. It is a seperate fee from fingerprints. 

Thanks. Just wondering why my friend wasn't billed for the background check at the time of his initial FID application, and I was billed for just a permit(s). Maybe each town bills at different times.

53 minutes ago, grazzie said:

Thanks. I think they're still using Identigo for printing. 

I had to pay $21 to finish the application for ONE permit but my friend didn't owe anything when applying for an FID and permits. Trying to figure out the fees.

The $18 + $3 convenience fee is for what was the SP212A - Non-criminal background check. Your friend didn't pay anything at the time of application because it was his initial application and he had to be fingerprinted - third party / separate off-line fee. The $5 per FPID and $2 per P2P is payable to your local PD when you pick-up the permit(s).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

8 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

18 for background is everytime you apply. I think there is an exception if you apply for more permits in short order, im not sure on how soon after though.

No exception. $18 + $3 every time you apply.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

The $18 + $3 convenience fee is for what was the SP212A - Non-criminal background check. Your friend didn't pay anything at the time of application because it was his initial application and he had to be fingerprinted - third party / separate off-line fee. The $5 per FPID and $2 per P2P is payable to your local PD when you pick-up the permit(s).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I see. That settles that. Thanks!

EDIT: So he pays the $18 later or not? I think you're saying the fingerprinting is in place of the non-criminal background check? That would explain why I don't remember paying $18 the first time applied for a FID.

My fingerprinting in 2016 was 55-56 bucks.

I thought they did a background check because I had a California DUI in the 80's. Just kidding. LOL  My FFL suggested (and I did so) I put that arrest on the application even though it wasn't required because the sentence could have NEVER been more than 6 months. He said it's better to be up-front. Regardless, I got my FID in 2016.

3 hours ago, grazzie said:

the fingerprinting is in place of the non-criminal background check? That would explain why I don't remember paying $18 the first time applied for a FID.

That's correct

• Like 1

One more question please. Well, two more questions. Can a permit be extended beyond 3 months?  And, I have to pay the  FFL for him to do an instant background check within the 3 months regardless of when i purchased (online)? Thanks.

1 minute ago, CMJeepster said:

It's valid for 90 days, but can be extended by the issuing authority (police department) up to 180 days from the original date issued.

Yes, you will have to have a check done (NICS) when you go to purchase or pick up an online purchase.

Cool. Thanks. As you responded, I just pulled out my expired permits from years ago and saw the 180 days. Good news. Thanks so much

6 hours ago, CMJeepster said:

It's valid for 90 days, but can be extended by the issuing authority (police department) up to 180 days from the original date issued.

The extension is at the discretion of the CLEO, so hopefully you live in a 2A friendly municipality.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Actually, when they call me to let me know my permit is ready, I'll ask them if the chief of police can extend it to save me a trip latter on. It can't hurt. Thx again.

It only took about 10 days from submitting the online application to approval for 1 P2P in Tinton Falls.. I'm expecting them any day now to notify me the permit is ready for pickup.

5 hours ago, grazzie said:

Thanks for the replies. Actually, when they call me to let me know my permit is ready, I'll ask them if the chief of police can extend it to save me a trip latter on. It can't hurt. Thx again.

It only took about 10 days from submitting the online application to approval for 1 P2P in Tinton Falls.. I'm expecting them any day now to notify me the permit is ready for pickup.

Good idea to feel that out. I once went to my Cleo a few weeks before expiration , he said he can't/ won't sign something that is still active. However he did say he would sign the extension the day after expiration. But then again I remember reading about a guy who tried after they expired and was told no, Cleo would not "re-new"  paperwork that was not good anymore. That's the problem with discretion, one never knows until you find out.

5 hours ago, siderman said:

Good idea to feel that out. I once went to my Cleo a few weeks before expiration , he said he can't/ won't sign something that is still active. However he did say he would sign the extension the day after expiration. But then again I remember reading about a guy who tried after they expired and was told no, Cleo would not "re-new"  paperwork that was not good anymore. That's the problem with discretion, one never knows until you find out.

Good to know. I'll let you know what they say. Thanks.

On 9/3/2020 at 12:42 PM, grazzie said:

Good to know. I'll let you know what they say. Thanks.

Just wanted to report back. PD called to let me know my permit is ready. They said to extend the permit, call them a week before it expires. They would not per-extend the permit. Every PD is different apparently.