Spiffdeb

New to Forum and gun ownership -Upper Freehold

Welcome neighbor.

If you don't already know, this is not the best time for you to be starting this journey, but today is better than tomorrow. There's a ton of (mostly) good info here. You're not the first to be asking about a first purchase, and there's pages upon pages dedicated to that, so I will not respond directly to that. I will respond with my knowledge & opinions on places to potentially look into.

Cheyenne in Bordentown is probably the closest good-sized shop, I was there yesterday and was impressed with the stock they have on hand under the circumstances. I've had mixed experiences as far as customer service there. There's the other place on 130 North of Cheyenne that I can't recall the name of right now. They are slightly smaller than Cheyenne. Pineland Sporting on 528 in Jackson is close, a much smaller shop. I haven't bought firearms from him, I did buy some targets and cases. Watch him on prices though, after buying some things from him at fair prices I bought clays, not knowing the going rate. I found out after the fact that he'd jacked those prices a good amount. Live and learn. Monmouth Arms in Manalapan is run by @remixer and he's a great guy to deal with, but has less product on hand. I've dealt with him numerous times and recommend him. Howell Gun Works is good, they have more inventory than Monmouth Arms, but less than Cheyenne. I've read great things about @JT Custom Guns but he's not as local. I've also read great things about Kulak Arms in Lawrenceville, and he's on my list for a visit. Next you've got Legends which in inside of Union Hill Gun Club in Monroe.

Ranges are going to be tougher and I can't offer too much advise there since I'm a member at Central Jersey. I'm not positive but I don't think Union Hill allows non-members to shoot there. Range-14 is close and reasonably priced, but with limited hours and outdoors only. They're also still operating under (what I consider to be) severe restrictions due to COVID. There's two places in Lakewood, not far from the Blue Claws Stadium. I can't recall the names right now, one or both have gone through some name changes over the last ten or so years. I will never cross the doorway to the one that's South of the other again.

Many ranges will not allow you to rent/shoot by yourself if you don't have your yellow card yet so make sure you call ahead and ask what their policy is. Some shops may not let you fondle any firearms without one either. That was mentioned here some time ago.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, kc17 said:

I've also read great things about Kulak Arms in Lawrenceville, and he's on my list for a visit.

+1 for Richie at Kulak.  @Golf battery @Pizza Bob @SgtToadette and I have all had great experiences there.  They've been there more recently than I have, so they could probably chime in on his stock.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

+1 for Richie at Kulak.  @Golf battery @Pizza Bob @SgtToadette and I have all had great experiences there.  They've been there more recently than I have, so they could probably chime in on his stock.

I was there about 2 weeks ago and stock was decent. Had some 92s, 1911s, and a CZ P10C. With this market though you almost need daily updates. Rich is a good guy and will help if you're looking for something specific. Again, it's crazy times so expectations should keep that in mind.

• Thanks 1

Welcome.  

357 Magnum revolver in around 4 inch barrel great first handgun.  Can start out running 38s through it.  Very mild recoil.  Very easy to understand, operate and maintain.

I would look at the local FFLs close mentioned above before looking at larger gun stores.  Generally better prices and services.  

Good luck!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

OP,

I recommend you visit Weshoot (formerly Garden State Shooting Center) in Lakewood. 
They have a good selection of new firearms as well as firearm rentals.  It is a public range and a welcoming experience.  I was formerly a member and have purchased most of my firearms there.

If you plan to go to rent a firearm, recommend you call first as they may require you to go with a friend or bring your own firearm with you.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Spiffdeb said:

Hi, I’m new to gun ownership and the forum! I’m currently researching my first handgun purchase so looking for info on that as well as “noob friendly” gun shops and ranges in my area.   

welcome! as the others already stated, not the best time to be looking; but better now than later! Stuff is out there, just gotta search and be ready to pounce quickly when you find what you want..

Where abouts in upper freehold? My street ends at provinceline road at the very south eastern part of upper freehold.. We may be near neighbors! You can PM if you prefer not to share to much openly...

Just now, eyeinstine said:

welcome! as the others already stated, not the best time to be looking; but better now than later! Stuff is out there, just gotta search and be ready to pounce quickly when you find what you want..

Where abouts in upper freehold? My street ends at provinceline road at the very south eastern part of upper freehold.. We may be near neighbors! You can PM if you prefer not to share to much openly...

I’m off 539 near the High School.

27 minutes ago, Spiffdeb said:

I’m off 539 near the High School.

allentown H.S. ?   if so, your only about 10 mins or so away...  Once you have your first firearm, Range14 maybe the best deal for you to get out and get some practice in.. Its cheap; the hours suck though..  I could guest you in if you want to check it out in the future..   

If shooting sports becomes your thing, you close to Central Jersey RPC too.. Not cheap, but i hear a great place.. Im seriously considering joining soon.. I just cant find time to shoot with Range14's shitty hours..    But now, im afraid to shoot of any of my stocked up ammo! Who knows how to long before we can replenish at normal prices...

On 8/28/2020 at 9:22 AM, Spiffdeb said:

Hi, I’m new to gun ownership and the forum! I’m currently researching my first handgun purchase so looking for info on that as well as “noob friendly” gun shops and ranges in my area.   

http://www.monmoutharms.com would be my first and only choice for a gun shop, others can help with ranges.

Please don't listen to the dinosaurs recommending revolvers as a first or primary self defense handgun.

Revolvers: The good- Classic beautiful pieces of craftsmanship (vintage models at least), badass looks, accurate, hold or increase in value.. The bad: Low capacity, heavy, high recoil (especially .357 Mag), difficult to reload in high stress situations, long heavy DA trigger pull, pricey ammo.

Hobby/range gun to add to your collection later on okay, first defensive handgun no, IMHO

To order online try https://gun.deals and https://www.gunbroker.com 

• Disagree 1

On 8/28/2020 at 5:56 PM, eyeinstine said:

allentown H.S. ?   if so, your only about 10 mins or so away...  Once you have your first firearm, Range14 maybe the best deal for you to get out and get some practice in.. Its cheap; the hours suck though..  I could guest you in if you want to check it out in the future..   

If shooting sports becomes your thing, you close to Central Jersey RPC too.. Not cheap, but i hear a great place.. Im seriously considering joining soon.. I just cant find time to shoot with Range14's shitty hours..    But now, im afraid to shoot of any of my stocked up ammo! Who knows how to long before we can replenish at normal prices...

Cannot beat CJ, Fantastic range!