Spiffdeb

Good handgun for Left-handed shooter

I’m getting ready to purchase my first handgun. From the research I’ve done so far I’m reading that as a left-handed shooter I should get a gun that is configurable for a left-handed shooter (e.g. H&K VP9).  Any lefties here that can provide guidance on this? How important is this?  If I buy something like the VP9, do I need a gunsmith to configure it or is this something I specify when I order?  Can any handgun be easily configured for a left-handed shooter?

As a life-long leftie ;)  I think I can provide some insight....but truthfully, it depends on what you want, and what you intend to do with your handgun.

I'm predominantly a revolver person; and the design of a revolver is inherently left-hand friendly.  Your left hand's index finger is already right there to work the cylinder latch.  Use your right thumb to push the cylinder out of the frame, cradle the revolver in your right hand, and load the cylinder with your left.  Very easy. 

Most pistol grips are equally fine for left/right handers, the hand-specific ones are primarily high-grade target pistols, which you really aren't looking for, anyway.  The primary concerns for left-handed operation are the safety, slide release, and magazine release of the semi-auto.  We can use the 1911 as a 'for instance', since I am more familiar with them.  The 1911-style mag release is near perfect for a leftie (just reach back with your trigger finger).  The slide release isn't so convenient, but its also very easy to just pull-back on the slide to release (once you've reloaded).  The safety, though, is nearly impossible to operate without changing your hold on the pistol or adding an ambidexterus safety, which puts a second lever on the opposite side of the pistol. 

Another thought is the purpose behind your pistol....what do you plan to do with it? 

If this is going to be primarily shot at the range, punching paper, and a learning tool for better pistol handling...left or right handed really doesn't matter much.  You simply aren't going to be using the safety;  you're going to load, fire, and empty the pistol, then drop the magazine and repeat.  In this situation, YOU are the 'safety'....keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire!  If its going to be a concealed carry piece; the placement of the safety DOES matter, but you'd probably be best to move out of NJ, as NJ Concealed Carry permits are like unicorns.  You'll never see one.  If you're looking for a 'game' pistol (there are many different competition disciplines), you are better looking into what is their specific requirements and go from there.

There are also many semi-auto pistols that have dropped the safeties in favor of a long, revolver-like trigger.  These are also very leftie-friendly, and worthy of your consideration.  I'll pass on recommending any, as I have limited knowledge of these.

• Informative 1

8 minutes ago, W2MC said:

As a life-long leftie ;)  I think I can provide some insight....but truthfully, it depends on what you want, and what you intend to do with your handgun.

I'm predominantly a revolver person; and the design of a revolver is inherently left-hand friendly.  Your left hand's index finger is already right there to work the cylinder latch.  Use your right thumb to push the cylinder out of the frame, cradle the revolver in your right hand, and load the cylinder with your left.  Very easy. 

Most pistol grips are equally fine for left/right handers, the hand-specific ones are primarily high-grade target pistols, which you really aren't looking for, anyway.  The primary concerns for left-handed operation are the safety, slide release, and magazine release of the semi-auto.  We can use the 1911 as a 'for instance', since I am more familiar with them.  The 1911-style mag release is near perfect for a leftie (just reach back with your trigger finger).  The slide release isn't so convenient, but its also very easy to just pull-back on the slide to release (once you've reloaded).  The safety, though, is nearly impossible to operate without changing your hold on the pistol or adding an ambidexterus safety, which puts a second lever on the opposite side of the pistol. 

Another thought is the purpose behind your pistol....what do you plan to do with it? 

If this is going to be primarily shot at the range, punching paper, and a learning tool for better pistol handling...left or right handed really doesn't matter much.  You simply aren't going to be using the safety;  you're going to load, fire, and empty the pistol, then drop the magazine and repeat.  In this situation, YOU are the 'safety'....keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire!  If its going to be a concealed carry piece; the placement of the safety DOES matter, but you'd probably be best to move out of NJ, as NJ Concealed Carry permits are like unicorns.  You'll never see one.  If you're looking for a 'game' pistol (there are many different competition disciplines), you are better looking into what is their specific requirements and go from there.

There are also many semi-auto pistols that have dropped the safeties in favor of a long, revolver-like trigger.  These are also very leftie-friendly, and worthy of your consideration.  I'll pass on recommending any, as I have limited knowledge of these.

I read that the cartridge ejection on a semi-automatic *could* be more likely to come into contact with your body/face?

I’m buying for home protection and range shooting.

3 minutes ago, Spiffdeb said:

I read that the cartridge ejection on a semi-automatic *could* be more likely to come into contact with your body/face?

I’m buying for home protection and range shooting.

Never had an issue with ejected cases with any semi pistol I’ve fired.  

Any of the major manufacturer’s offerings would be good.  Stick with common ammo-you will have problems finding the more esoteric stuff.

I'm a lefty.

My favorite two guns are both H&Ks.  No special configurations necessary.

I do have other guns that are "righty" and you learn how to send the slide forward into battery with different fingers or your other hand.

A VP9 is a great first gun.  Very reliable and ambidextrous. 

I've never really heard lefty's bitching about righty pistols much. SOme of them just learn to operate the mag catch with the index finger and slide catch with the off hand. That way your learned manual of arms is compatible with what will likely ever be available. 

But if you want ambi controls, lots of guns have flippable mag catches. Less so slide catches, but jsut learn to sling shot. 

the sig p320 guns have flippable mag catches and their slide stops work well either side. The M&P on the other hand I'd argue has a decorative catch for lefties. I can one hand operate the controls on a desert eagle, but I can't operate that off side catch without both hands. 

• Thanks 1