Jump to content
StarGazer

Introduction and question from pending new NJ gun owner

Recommended Posts

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself to the njgunforums community.  I am currently awaiting my FID; and expect to have it in the next few weeks or so.  I have prior firearms training and experience as I was a LEO in another state for a short time (but left for greener money pastures and less potential civil or criminal headaches).  I am strong supporter of good cops everywhere; but not of a police state. I believe in the Constitution and honor the memories of all Americans that died so that we may live free and pursue our dreams and happiness.  Needless to say, the events over the past 1/2 year have caused me to reassess having a firearm in the home for protection so I've only recently applied for my FID  even  though I been a NJ resident for a long time. 

I would to take this opportunity to thank everyone here that contributes to the forums.  I know, like myself, there are plenty of lurkers that have learned a ton from the experienced members.  NJ is not an easy state to navigate the gun laws in, that is for sure. 

I do have a question that hopefully someone can answer.  As most know, the gun stores are very limited in their offerings of guns and ammo due to the panic buying that has been happening across the country.  I would not be adverse to picking up a used rifle or shotgun from another NJ resident.   I read the FAQ (https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29389-read-before-posting-nj-gun-law-faq/ ) and noted that the requirements for Long gun purchases as by:

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a FPID, COE with Photo ID suggested

........(3) Out-of-state dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(4) Out-of-state resident = must be transferred through

............a. NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID or

............b. Out-of-state dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

In particular to situation 2, (long gun transaction between 2 NJ residents) it doesn't seem to need to go through a NJ FFL.  However, in all the WTS ads I see on here, the seller states that the transaction needs to go through an FFL.  What am I missing?  Was the law changed or are sellers worried about direct sales?

Once again, than you all.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our great Governor Murphy is resposible — law was changed right when he took office — no more Face to Face sales in NJ for us — must go thru FFL 

Immediate family members and active LEO are exempted from the FFL requirement

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Heavyopp said:

Our great Governor Murphy is resposible — law was changed right when he took office — no more Face to Face sales in NJ for us — must go thru FFL 

Immediate family members active LEO are exempted from the FFL requirement

Thank you  for the quick response!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, StarGazer said:

Hello Everyone,

I do have a question that hopefully someone can answer.  As most know, the gun stores are very limited in their offerings of guns and ammo due to the panic buying that has been happening across the country. 

Once again, than you all.

 

AR-15 rifles can still be found online although prices are at premium these days.

Try searching https://www.gunbroker.com or https://gun.deals

Have it shipped to http://www.monmoutharms.com for the transfer and compliance work.

If I was in the market right now I'd grab this Bushmaster M4 LE trade-in.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/877704787

Excellent condition for a trade in: Side sling swivel, light, detachable carry handle, chrome lined M4 barrel, can't believe this hasn't sold yet. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bomber said:

AR-15 rifles can still be found online although prices are at premium these days.

Try searching https://www.gunbroker.com or https://gun.deals

Have it shipped to http://www.monmoutharms.com for the transfer and compliance work.

If I was in the market right now I'd grab this Bushmaster M4 LE trade-in.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/877704787

Excellent condition for a trade in: Side sling swivel, light, detachable carry handle, chrome lined M4 barrel, can't believe this hasn't sold yet. 

 

Thanks for the info and links!  If I had the FID in hands, I would strongly be considering the Bushmaster at that price.  It's a great deal.  I do have concern about the availability of 5.56 ammo.  It seems to not be available anywhere I've looked. I was leaning toward a .308 rifle, such as a SA Socom M1A1 as my first purchase as that ammo is a little easier to find.  That being said, I am definitely picking up an AR15  as well.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2020 at 10:19 AM, StarGazer said:

Thanks for the info and links!  If I had the FID in hands, I would strongly be considering the Bushmaster at that price.  It's a great deal.  I do have concern about the availability of 5.56 ammo.  It seems to not be available anywhere I've looked. I was leaning toward a .308 rifle, such as a SA Socom M1A1 as my first purchase as that ammo is a little easier to find.  That being said, I am definitely picking up an AR15  as well.  

 

The FID in hand is not necessary to order firearms online. 

The item gets shipped to an FFL who retains possession until the transfer.  Simply complete the purchase online, item is shipped to your FFL who then holds it until your paper work is ready to complete the transfer/NICS process. (Note; some online sellers may ask for a copy of your FID, its not required and I would avoid them). 

I recommended Monmouth Arms,  because they will hold online purchases free of charge I believe and do the compliance work;. One stop shopping. 

 As for 5.56mm ammo it can be had, although prices are way up. This seller usually has a good supply and doesn't hassle N.J. buyers

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/877472498

If you sign up at GB a completed item a search can be done for final sales prices

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Handyman said:

Welcome!

You might find yourself astonished how long it takes to get paperwork processed in NJ. It was bad when times were good. Now its really special. Good luck!

Thanks.  Yes, I am already 2 months in.  The way things are going, I may wind up voting with my feet and leaving the state before I get my FID.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...