Kennydnj

Yet another new member - Bridgwater

1 minute ago, Kennydnj said:

Hello from 08807. Great site. Glad to be here.

And we're glad to have you here! Welcome. I grew up in Bridgewater... nice area. :)

Are you a new shooter? Or experienced? What kind of firearms/shooting do you like?

I've only been here 12 years. Union County before that.

New shooter. So new that I'm waiting on my pistol permits and unfortunately have no idea what firearms/shooting I like. Hopefully I'll get this paperwork soon and figure it out.

• Like 3

Unless you have an experienced person teaching you already, I recommend you take an NRA-affiliated training class - either pistol, rifle, etc. - whatever platform you think you might like.

Also, we do occasionally have "events" organized through NJGF - shotgun shoots are usually in Clinton, not far from you at all. People are very generous about showing noobs what to do, loaning their guns, etc. So, please keep an eye on the events forum. Every several months they'll have one of those - no real pattern, just spontaneous. Sadly, it's been a problem since COVID-19 because they had some of the state ranges shut down. (Still, I think? Not sure).

21 minutes ago, Kennydnj said:

I've only been here 12 years. Union County before that.

New shooter. So new that I'm waiting on my pistol permits and unfortunately have no idea what firearms/shooting I like. Hopefully I'll get this paperwork soon and figure it out.

Welcome!  I'm in Bridgewater as well by way of Union county as well.  Note - your Firearms ID and Permits will take a good amount of time.  I just got pistol permits from the Bridgewater PD (using the NJ FARS system), and it took 78 days due to the sheer volume of applications they are receiving.  It may take you longer as you're an initial FID and you have to do fingerprints with Identogo.  If you have any questions about the process, feel free to ask.

9 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Unless you have an experienced person teaching you already, I recommend you take an NRA-affiliated training class - either pistol, rifle, etc. - whatever platform you think you might like.

Also, we do occasionally have "events" organized through NJGF - shotgun shoots are usually in Clinton, not far from you at all. People are very generous about showing noobs what to do, loaning their guns, etc. So, please keep an eye on the events forum. Every several months they'll have one of those - no real pattern, just spontaneous. Sadly, it's been a problem since COVID-19 because they had some of the state ranges shut down. (Still, I think? Not sure).

That's the plan. I got a family member that is seemingly more than happy to provide me with some knowledge. I also am wanting to take some classes too. Do the classes ever have any family/group rates for husband, wife and/or child?

7 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Welcome!  I'm in Bridgewater as well by way of Union county as well.  Note - your Firearms ID and Permits will take a good amount of time.  I just got pistol permits from the Bridgewater PD (using the NJ FARS system), and it took 78 days due to the sheer volume of applications they are receiving.  It may take you longer as you're an initial FID and you have to do fingerprints with Identogo.  If you have any questions about the process, feel free to ask.

Hello.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I do have a FID for about 15 years. I'm just waiting on the pistol purchase permits. This time I plan on using them. I got 3 of them when I moved to town (went to have the address changed on the FID and applied for them then) and I let them expire after getting an extension. As for this time around, on 8/4 I received an email stating my background check was complete and to wait for further emails. So....  that's where I'm at. Constantly checking spam folder and wondering what phone number I put for my employer.

Edit: couldn't spell "email" correctly

Edited by Kennydnj

2 hours ago, Kennydnj said:

Hello.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I do have a FID for about 15 years. I'm just waiting on the pistol purchase permits. This time I plan on using them. I got 3 of them when I moved to town (went to have the address changed on the FID and applied for them then) and I let them expire after getting an extension. As for this time around, on 8/4 I received an email stating my background check was complete and to wait for further emails. So....  that's where I'm at. Constantly checking spam folder and wondering what phone number I put for my employer.

Edit: couldn't spell "email" correctly

Ah ok!  Yeah this waiting sucks.  From the background check completion date to completion it took 8 weeks for me... so unfortunately it may be another couple months for you.  You'll get an email from the FARS system saying they're ready, but they're still not actually ready for pickup until Rob at the Bridgewater PD emails you that they're ready for pickup.  

Previously, the last time I got permits, it took 19 days.

Welcome! Lots of knowledgeable people here.  But dont listen to ANYONE that calls it "Taylor Ham".  :)

Keep an eye on the "Events & Meet Up" section for clay shoot out in Clinton.  Minutes off 78.  You don't need a shotgun.  Just bring some clays and be ready to have some fun!  Hope to see you out there.