sgtdave4321

Anderson Lowers

Steve at Monmouth Arms (forum FFL) use to have them on a regular basis and would have promos on them occasionally. I used one with an Anderson upper a few years ago and got a perfect fit. Looks like he has them on his website with closed trigger.

http://www.monmoutharms.com/product/anderson-mfg-am-15-2/

This was several years ago, but I’ve seen a few of them out of spec. The pins wouldn’t line up on one, and have seen one the safety hole was undersized. 

Anderson made it right, but it was a hassle for the owners. 

Personally, I use Zev/Mega Machine and Tool forged lowers. I know guys who like Aero Precision. 
I don’t have personal experience with PSA, but haven’t heard anything bad about their lowers. 

• Agree 1

lowers are lowers as long as they spec

My sons and I just built their first ARs using the unbranded Anderson lowers with their premium lpk and I have to say, only having ever used DD, Colt and Aero LPK I was impressed.  I believe I read somewhere that they make more lowers than anyone.  Reviews are fine, they are everywhere so you have no concern.  We're happy with ours and no issues putting together.

If I can't get my hands on Colts, my go to is Aero as I really like them but would use Anderson again

I’m sure you have. I’ve seen 3. The the third one had the roll pin hole for the bolt release that either wasn’t drilled all the way through, or it had a chunk of debris in the hole. 

I’m sure the vast majority of them are perfectly fine, but those were my personal observations. Your mileage may vary. 

I was also wondering if the Anderson lowers are worth it. It seems they are pretty much the only ones that are still available at a decent price. My current AR from 2009 has an Aero Precision lower which I got for about $40 back in the day. Now they are pretty much out of stock anywhere and the prices went from $75 to $95 to $115 and they are still out of stock.

From what I heard the Anderson's are so cheap  because they own a machining factory that produces them.

They’re volume sellers. Make the receivers  as fast as possible, use statistical QC on only a few, on to the next batch. So there are duds here and there but at 800k lowers per year (saw that on YT somewhere, may be more now) that’s bound to happen. I understand they’ll make it right if you were unlucky enough to get the dud  

Anderson makes blank uppers/lowers for some of the other “premium” makers too. So for all we know, that fancy $300 lower on the shelf might have been milled right after the $35* Poverty Pony

*Thats pre-apocalypse prices. 

• Like 2

As long as the holes are drilled right, in the right places, I have never cared much about who made the lowers. My 2 Anderson lowers I have built have worked fine for years. They are the definition of poverty ponies, they were made as cheaply as possible while still using decent parts, and neither has given me a single reason to doubt that they will go bang every time.

I would absolutely buy more Anderson lowers without hesitation if I needed more - especially the solid trigger guard ones. Might not be as nice as others, but will do the job for people who can't or won't spend more.

32 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

PSA has some in stock, $80 to $90.

YUP!!! Soon as I got the notification they were in stock.. ..I placed an order for 2x and picked them up last week!! I do however remember buying them for $49.99 during Christmas break 2x years ago..

I used to buy Anderson lowers when they were available - last time I bought 5 at $25 each.  Yes, about a year ago though.  They're mil-spec so I never understood why some folks spend more for a different roll mark.  Spend the money on what matters - trigger, barrel, bcg, etc.

On 9/9/2020 at 6:29 PM, mustang69 said:

I used to buy Anderson lowers when they were available - last time I bought 5 at $25 each.  Yes, about a year ago though.  They're mil-spec so I never understood why some folks spend more for a different roll mark.  Spend the money on what matters - trigger, barrel, bcg, etc.

100% correct. The Andersons are find for mil-spec and from what I have heard they also have decent coating.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I picked my NJGF lower from Scott at SWAT in Hammonton. $65 + NICS! It looks great!:yahoo:

Yeah, it's quite the bargain this day and age!  I got one too.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a complete upper these days?  A lot of the mid tier stuff is sold out.

• Like 1