kc17

Ruger Mark I

Who has a Ruger Mark I and can help me out?

I picked one up on an impulse buy, it did not come with any magazines so I ordered two directly from Ruger, specific for the Mark I. I did have to switch the magazine follower button over to the other side as described in the packaging. The Serial Number matches up to being manufactured in 1971 based on the list on Ruger's website. 

This is the tightest fitting magazine in the magwell of any firearm I've ever handled. It does not appear to be seating all of the way either; and then it is a royal PIA to come back out. I say it does not seat all of the way for two reasons. First the magazine latch does not clip on the bottom of the magazine base plate. Second, a round does not get picked up from the magazine when attempting to chamber a round. This is the same behavior with both magazines.

So far most of what I seen online regarding the magazines is how to convert or modify newer style magazines for the older guns. I did see some talk of aftermarket baseplates and other modifications including to the gun.

I see there being three possible issues, Operator Error, Magazine Defect, Firearm Defect/Damage. When I had the grip panels off I noticed what appeared to be a minor bend in the frame at the pin that holds the magazine catch in place. Like the pin was not perfectly lined up with the hole before being punched into place.

Ideally it'd be perfect if someone somewhat local has a Mark I that I can use as a comparison before I try to contact Ruger or go to a gunsmith.

I have a Mark I that was my father's that he bought at Ft Wainright in 1964. It is an extremely accurate pistol. Don't take it apart... I have converted later mags to work with it. The MK IV mags will be very hard to work with it. If you have any issues I can sell you one that I know will work with it. I have a bunch and I won't gouge.

2 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

I have a Mark I that was my father's that he bought at Ft Wainright in 1964. It is an extremely accurate pistol. Don't take it apart... I have converted later mags to work with it. The MK IV mags will be very hard to work with it. If you have any issues I can sell you one that I know will work with it. I have a bunch and I won't gouge.

Thanks for the offer, I'd like to figure out if it is a firearm issue first off. I have read about the dangers of reassembly also.

Some late Mark I pistols used the A100 frame of the Mark II and later guns. Not sure that it would have the effect you are experiencing, but you probably ought to verify whether or not you have an A100 frame.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

14 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Some late Mark I pistols used the A100 frame of the Mark II and later guns. Not sure that it would have the effect you are experiencing, but you probably ought to verify whether or not you have an A100 frame.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks Bob,

From what I've read the A100 frame was introduced sometime in 1971, the same year as this gun. The tag that shipped with the magazine stated the A100 frames were stamped and the follower button would stay on the left side of the magazine, which is how it shipped. Mine is not stamped, and the grove in the magwell is on the right side. The mag would not fit at all as shipped from Ruger.

It has been years since I did this, but any MK II magazine can be modified by switching the follower pin to the other side. I just checked eBay and there are lots of MK I and MK II mags available for $25. MK I mags hold 9rds and MK II hold 10.

Lots of retailers have Ruger MK I and II mags. EABCO has them.

Apologies for the very late follow-up. 

I did contact Ruger and they repaired it for a total cost to me of $35 in shipping fees. I can't complain about that. Sadly, they did not tell me what they did to repair it, even though I asked and was told it would be on the repair order paperwork, it wasn't. It was a problem the the gun itself though, not the magazines. 

It is now functioning perfectly, that's the most important part.