GFam

New Gun owner Need Help on AMMO Question

Hello to everyone, I just picked up my first gun permits

When i picked them up the Officer at the PD told me when i buy ammo to make sure its not hollow point because its illegal,

i was ok so i started looking at ammo on the internet for a 9 mm and i got confused a-lot of them look like a hollow point how do i know what is legal to buy in New Jersey, i would love to hear some answer

thank you in advance for your help.

The officer is wrong:

https://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-hollowpoint.shtml

"Provided certain conditions are met, a sportsman may transport and use hollow point ammunition. There are no restrictions preventing a sportsman from keeping such ammunition at his home.

N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:

(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].

Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."
N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1. A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;
  2. A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
  3. A person going directly to a target range, and;
  4. A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

As with other ammunition and firearms, a sportsman would have to comply with the provisions of N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f and g when transporting hollow nose ammunition to a target range. The ammunition should be stored in a closed and fastened container or locked in the trunk of the motor vehicle in which it is being transported. The course of travel should be as direct as possible when going to and leaving from the target range with "only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances." N.J.S.A 2C:39-6g."

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

In simplified terms, for 9mm it's either going to be standard copper jacket or some type of "hollow point". Your ammo choice will be based on its intended use.

If you want to use the ammo for personal defense, a "hollow point" type is best as it is designed to expand when it enters the target.  Some of these have a cavity filled in by plastic so it's not actually a hollow point (i.e. Hornady Critical Defense).  Self defense ammo is more expensive.

If you want to use the ammo for general practice and range use, standard jacketed is what you want as it is less expensive.  It is not as suitable for self defense since it will be more prone to over penetrating the target and possibly hitting unintended targets.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, DubbleRNR said:

According to the statute that was cited in the above post, hollow point can not be used for self defense purposes.  Correct?

The statute says nothing about how they can be used, it only says where they may be possessed and transported.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DubbleRNR said:

The statute says that they are illegal, yet they can be possessed and transported.  Very ambiguous...  

That's how most of them are written.  Nothing is allowed but then certain exceptions and exemptions are granted.

Much easier to control the population that way,

• Agree 3

Just now, DubbleRNR said:

The statute says that they are illegal, yet they can be possessed and transported.  Very ambiguous...  

All the NJ gun laws are written that way. They start with saying everything is illegal and then carve out exceptions and exemptions.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, tomk62 said:

That's how most of them are written.  Nothing is allowed but them certain exceptions and exemptions are granted.

Much easier to control the population that way,

Lol - great minds think alike...

...and fools seldom differ.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kc17 said:

I have first hand heard a lawyer say based on how the law is written,  if a person is shot with a hollow point, that person can be charged with illegal possession of a hollow point.

If the hollowpoint worked as designed it is no longer a hollowpoint - the cavity should have been filled

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DubbleRNR said:

The charges were subsequently dropped. It is an important reminder that no matter what the law says, you can still be arrested and go through the wringer in this stupid state.

I have had a long debate with a serving cop who was adamant that an FPIC did not allow you to transport an unloaded rifle outside the directly to/from exemptions. His position was that he would arrest you and lock you up and let the prosecutor sort it out.

NJ tries very hard to make it's gun laws very confusing as to make ordinary law abiding citizens unintentionally become criminals.  Given the way the statue is written ..."There are no restrictions preventing a sportsman from keeping such ammunition at his home. " yes you can keep them at home, however, can you use them in a self defense scenario at home? 

As they other poster mentioned earlier, NJ starts with everything about firearms is illegal, unless specifically exempted. 

7 hours ago, kc17 said:

I have first hand heard a lawyer say based on how the law is written,  if a person is shot with a hollow point, that person can be charged with illegal possession of a hollow point.

Don't hire that lawyer if you find yourself in a self defense situation.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, GFam said:

Wow thank you for all this information and @tomk62 thank you for clarifying  this, to everyone i love all this information this has put my mind at ease im glad i joined this Forum.

*NOW* go and join CNJFO - and help them fight for your rights - contact:

Rosie to the white courtesy phone, Mr. Rosenthal to the white courtesy phone please.  @Smokin .50

• Like 2

2 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

*NOW* go and join CNJFO - and help them fight for your rights - contact:

Rosie to the white courtesy phone, Mr. Rosenthal to the white courtesy phone please.  @Smokin .50

@USRifle30Cal I'm picking up the white courtesy phone. lol!

@GFam Welcome to the world of firearms ownership.  Buckle-up, cause yer in for a rough ride here in NJ!  If it's information you seek, try some light reading at the Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners website:

https://www.cnjfo.com

Our electronic "newspaper morgue" (known as the Black Wire Blog) for all of our daily facebook stories (w/o going to facebook) is:  https://www.cnjfo.com/News .  Read it daily to get the latest 2A News & Views!

Our sister site that explains why you need to be dead to get a carry permit approved is:  https://www.JustifiableNeed.com .

Access and interact with our public facebook page here:  https://www.facebook.com/cnjfo .

If any and/or all of the above links got your goat, pissed you off, scared the ever-lovin' shit outta ya, answered questions, told tales of interest or gave you insight, please consider joining NJ's busiest 2nd Amendment group here:  https://www.cnjfo.com/join-us .  And get a free t-shirt when joining!  We'd love to have you as a member!

Photo from our Matching Funds Campaign for the Mark Cheeseman case #19-27 that went to conference at SCOTUS:
Image may contain: 5 people, including David Rosenthal, indoor

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

We need to stop calling these "hollow point" bullets and start calling them "safety bullets." 

If someone is doing shooting in your neighborhood, what do you want them shooting? Regular, old fashioned bullets that go through people and walls and hit other people? Or safety bullets that hit something and stop?

We have to take over the language like lefties do. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

7 hours ago, Handyman said:

We need to stop calling these "hollow point" bullets and start calling them "safety bullets." 

If someone is doing shooting in your neighborhood, what do you want them shooting? Regular, old fashioned bullets that go through people and walls and hit other people? Or safety bullets that hit something and stop?

^^^^^^  THIS

the PR war is being lost

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Handyman said:

I am absolutely going to call them safety bullets from now on.

• Like 2