CAL. .30 M1

Sights and luminous paint

So I have a smith 4516 with novak cut sights....that are white dot paint only....

It seems i am too much of a cheap sob to buy tritium...if you can find em....

Also my watches that i currently wear use superluminova...and are 'bright' all night long....

So two questions....dows anyone have a good link for novak cut fiber optic sights?

Or does anyone have a good link for a recommended luminous paint?

:)

15991556650521258230785656137501.jpg

15991557153811789844971807367016.jpg

I usually look at dawson sights for this type of stuff. 

https://dawsonprecision.com/novak-cut-fiber-optic-front-sights/

https://dawsonprecision.com/search.php?search_query="novak"&section=product

I've used Testors enamel paints that are "fluorescent", the paint is great in light, even low light, but offers nothing in the dark. 

I'm not sure how good luminous paint might be, maybe you could find something that works well, glows good and long, and then top coat it with the Testors clear enamel for durability? I dunno just thoughts. 

These came off the Trijicon website, but i would double check since they dont list "novak" but mention the model by name. Not a bad price considering non tritium sets go for as much. 

https://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-sa10-s-w-compact-45-3-dot-night-sight-set.html 

25 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

These came off the Trijicon website, but i would double check since they dont list "novak" but mention the model by name. Not a bad price considering non tritium sets go for as much. 

https://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-sa10-s-w-compact-45-3-dot-night-sight-set.html 

I know its a tough call...i found a sight set  trijicon sa34 for the 4516 for 110 delivered....

But being the cheap rube goldberg tinkerer i am...i feel i have a set of novaks that can be painted...  :)

The watches use super lumi nova and i can say at 3am when i pop an eye open i can look at the watch and i can see glowing hands..

Tritium has a what 15yr glow life....?  So someday ill be back in this boat....

http://glow.glowinc.com/water-based-glow-in-the-dark-paint/

I've looked for superluminova before and only found it to be super expensive. The above website states 9 hours of glow, with similar brightness. Just need a clear top coat to seal it.

Tritium half life is 12 years. They are usable for probably 20 years.

2 hours ago, bennj said:

Jackdawack,

I used that same product on several of my handguns. Even after exposing it to bright light for a while, the "glow" dimmed in a few minutes at best. Ended up with the Dawson f/o front sights (too cheap to get the truglo TFX).

Is that with the solvent based ones that list a glow time? The water based ones don't even provide a duration.

http://glow.glowinc.com/solvent-glow-in-the-dark-paint/ultra-green-v10-solvent-based-glow-in-the-dark-paint/

I wonder if this would be good?

• Like 1

@USRifle30Cal

If you end up using this stuff let me know if it stands up to its claims, Id probably use it on a few sights if it ends up performing well. 

From my experience with Testors paint, dont just shake it well, actually stir the paint. I know all paint is different but sometimes the solids pigments settle and dont shake loose very well. Also, apply with a tooth pick. That was the easiest method i found for dots, and try and orient it so the paint does run with gravity. 

4 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

@USRifle30Cal

If you end up using this stuff let me know if it stands up to its claims, Id probably use it on a few sights if it ends up performing well. 

From my experience with Testors paint, dont just shake it well, actually stir the paint. I know all paint is different but sometimes the solids pigments settle and dont shake loose very well. Also, apply with a tooth pick. That was the easiest method i found for dots, and try and orient it so the paint does run with gravity. 

I am.going to order some and will advise......  :)

if there is left over ur free to try it..

• Thanks 1

I have no experience with these glow paints but I use this company allot for all sorts of exotic paints. They make some crazy paints and everything I've used from the has been top quality. Check out Alsa Corp paints 

• Informative 1

I have used glow inc ultra green for years on airsoft and real firearms, including a 12ga and .40 glock.

My experience is it likes a fairly thick layer. If feasible, i like to drill out the sight hole a little so I can have a recessed area to fill in. It seems to like white paint underneath.

I fill the cavity with the glow paint, compressing it in as best i can, usually using 2 applications so it dries better, and on the last layer of paint, i sprinkle additional ultra fine glow powder. My paint is old and not sure if it is water or solvent based, but mine after over 10 years is more of a moist paste. If you let it sit a bit as it is drying, it should be similar and can be shaped and formed pretty well with toothpicks exacto wax paper etc to form shapes or make better circles.  Once done shaping, leave the paint overnight. Paint has an odor when wet so if someone is sensitive, do it in a garage.

I have never coated mine. It will have a coarse texture when dry, and loose bits will brush away. The paint itself is a very hard material and if sitting on a surface may be prone to chipping if hit from an angle, but i have never lost any in a recessed area in over 10 years.  It dries to a yellowish greenish off white color which is easy enough to see in daytime.

Glowed up with a serious flashlight 1-2seconds, ultra green will be significantly brighter than any tritium night sight I own for about 5 minutes, and might actually cast a glow that lights up surrounding area a few inches. After the initial glow dies down, there is a glow which lasts for hours, depending on how adjusted your eyes are to darkness. My shotgun sights are painted in this, and i can wake up at 4am and look over next to the bed and see a faint glow that was from sunlight and turning bedroom lights on before bed.

As poor mans tritium, it works well enough and allows shapes to be made fairly easily (think glock rear U). I'll try to add some pics if i remember when on PC.

• Informative 1

9 hours ago, Malice4you said:

nightsights.jpg

Sorry for quality, I did this real quick with a cell camera

When you said middle.of the night 4am...and your eyes irises are dilated as they are from sleep...  and the glow is apparent?

I liken this to my watches that are still 'glowing' enough to read at 3am etc....

I have got to try this stuff...!

6 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

When you said middle.of the night 4am...and your eyes irises are dilated as they are from sleep...  and the glow is apparent?

I liken this to my watches that are still 'glowing' enough to read at 3am etc....

I have got to try this stuff...!

Any normal light that ruins your night sight a little will likely cancel out the glow of the ultra green after 2+ hours, but it is easily noticed 8+ hours after it was charged if your eyes are fully adjusted to the dark. It will be much dimmer than my 2022 pictured at that point, but this ultra green is impressive stuff. It isnt consumer grade glow in the dark crap that fades to nothing in a minute, like most of that stuff does.

The night sight kit must be new, (well last like 12 years), didnt have it when i ordered my stuff.

So something I have found that works really well to charge this stuff up are the 405nm blue laser pointers, which are near UV. Works as well or better than an 850 lumen LED flashlight, though i no longer have a UV flashlight to compare both to.

• Informative 1

Ok so here we go...

At first glance and use, i was kind of questioning the capability of flowing it neatly...and my prior thought of it being spackle-ish was incorrect...it is looser than spackle...'creamier' than liquid paint.

I used a toothpick, but i sliced it to get a sharp flat edge to drip and flow it...  little dabs...  a lot goes a long way.

I am a terrible taper and mud guy...but this went well.

It settles to a nice blob perfectly...and this morning i gave a quick dab of clear nail polish over tje dome to give it a shine type look like a nice plastic bead.

For 19.95 i recommend it.....i have plenty left and i am doing my.mossy 500 and my SA usgi 1911a1 ..might drop a bead as well in the ccw model 19

The tube can easily to many many guns.

@JackDaWack....  when i am done if you wanna try some just shout out...

20200913_091634.jpg

20200913_091605.jpg

20200913_091722.jpg

20200913_091710.jpg

• Thanks 1

Mossy 590

20200913_110017.jpg

20200913_110034.jpg

20200913_105941.jpg

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

I just need a report on how effective the glow is after hours in the dark, if its good im definitely gonna just grab a tube for myself at that price. I have so many uses for something like this. 

Ill know at 3am when i typically wake up...

• Like 1

So...

Checked the glow at 1am....3am.... 5am.

Its there, but it cannot be stated that it is enough to use for low light work.

Granted they did not get a charge that was longer than a few minutes at 830pm via flashlight or ambient light

I would not hesitate to do this on a gun that would have been in daylight then be used around dusk..such as a hunting gun....i would not rely on this for a self defense pistol.

However, if, as you should, keep a flashlight by your night stand, and if you can hit the sight real quick while maintaining your night vision...could be useable.

Otherwise not so much.....imo

• Informative 1