Zeke

Bcm complete uppers

26 minutes ago, Wheeler2.0 said:

the 16" lightweight, the bolt carrier group and the charging handle. 

I'm more excited then when i picked up the baby yoda mag!

Christmas is here early!

Nice.  BCM completed uppers are so pricey though.  I got one with the muzzle brake/bcg deal a few years ago, and that was the only thing that made the cost considerable.  After assembling an upper from parts, I gotta say - it's not that hard (with the proper tools).

16 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Nice.  BCM completed uppers are so pricey though.  I got one with the muzzle brake/bcg deal a few years ago, and that was the only thing that made the cost considerable.  After assembling an upper from parts, I gotta say - it's not that hard (with the proper tools).

Their barrels are $$ and a premium for handgaurds. Even my "other" 11.5" barrel was 300 bucks shipped. 

I picked up 2 of the complete uppers, minus a handgaurd. And those things are built like tanks. It took entirely too much effort to drift the FSB pins. 

Long gone are the days of free BCGs, and free hats and wear! Just stickers now.

BCM always has a ton of stuff out of stock. I havent see Daniel defense HG's options in stock for years, but they still list it. 

11 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Decent WML on a budget - Olight Odin. Little bulky with their crazy mount.

High-end quality and performance (and crazy expensive) - either a Modlight PLHv2 or Surefire M600DF on an Arisaka Scout Mount.

Thanks for the advice!

I've been looking at optics, and I'm still thinking about RDS or a LPVO.  Decisions Decisions.

27 minutes ago, Wheeler2.0 said:

I've been looking at optics, and I'm still thinking about RDS or a LPVO.  Decisions Decisions.

Really depends on what your intended use is for.  Quick accuracy up to 100 (maybe 200) yards?  Red dot.  If you want the ability to reach out further and speed isn't as big a deal, then LVPO.  RDS are also a lot lighter.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

Really depends on what your intended use is for.  Quick accuracy up to 100 (maybe 200) yards?  Red dot.  If you want the ability to reach out further and speed isn't as big a deal, then LVPO.  RDS are also a lot lighter.  

I've also seen LPVO and a RDS on a 45 degree offset. It's really going to depend on what application you're planning on using it for. 

An option for a midprice mounted light is a Streamlight ProTac HL-X. I've seen them for about $125. I did spend about $70 on a Cloud Defense mount for the activation pad. Unless you have a low profile pic rail to attach to it's a bit bulky though. Mine is not low profile. 

20200727_035851.jpg

Let’s not get crazy folks.

A quality RDS can do everything required of a 16” carbine simply and affordably and is perfect for a new AR shooter. Not that @Wheeler2.0 ain’t up to the challenge, but there is no need to be challenged.

RDS provides a forgiving sight picture with a fast learning curve and easy hits out to 300yards. This translates into quicker mastery. Quicker means less ammo used in training and practice, which means less money required to reach the conscious competence level of achievement (The 3rd of the 4 levels) which is the where you need to be to be considered proficient with the carbine.

No need to overload the learning curve at this point with magnification complications, FFP vs SFP head math, mechanical offset estimation at different mag, and flight path of a projectile when rifle is rolled 45* inboard when compared to your chosen zero distance. None of that is terribly difficult when you have a solid grounding of the basics to reference, but for a new AR shooter is like drinking from a firehose.

So, if you can’t tell, I vote for an RDS for a first/only rifle. 

Can’t go wrong with an Aimpoint. PRO is great for the money. T2 is the bees knees, but twice as expensive.

Trijicon MRO is a good compromise at roughly the price of the PRO and a footprint closer to the T2.

Holosun also makes a great RDS for the price. The 503 is unbeatable for the price.

Whatever you do, don’t skimp on the mount! Buy quality - My Holosun optics have mounts that cost as much as the optic, and they are worth every penny. The PRO comes with one that is fine. You’ll have to choose one for the others. Lower 1/3 is the way to go. LaRue, Geissele, American Defense Manufacturing, Daniel Defense, Scalar, BoBro, are all good choices. 

54 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

An option for a midprice mounted light is a Streamlight ProTac HL-X. I've seen them for about $125. I did spend about $70 on a Cloud Defense mount for the activation pad. Unless you have a low profile pic rail to attach to it's a bit bulky though. Mine is not low profile. 

Is that top rail MLOK? CD makes a direct attach MLOK Mount if I remember correctly.

The only Streamlight light I recommend is the TLR7a. I have had bad luck with their stuff, especially their rifle lights. It’s almost comical. My friends that use them won’t let me touch their rifles because as soon as I am near one, it will fail.

3 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Weight is a consideration for me, so thank you for that input.

46 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Let’s not get crazy folks.

A quality RDS can do everything required of a 16” carbine simply and affordably and is perfect for a new AR shooter. Not that @Wheeler2.0 ain’t up to the challenge, but there is no need to be challenged.

RDS provides a forgiving sight picture with a fast learning curve and easy hits out to 300yards. This translates into quicker mastery. Quicker means less ammo used in training and practice, which means less money required to reach the conscious competence level of achievement (The 3rd of the 4 levels) which is the where you need to be to be considered proficient with the carbine.

No need to overload the learning curve at this point with magnification complications, FFP vs SFP head math, mechanical offset estimation at different mag, and flight path of a projectile when rifle is rolled 45* inboard when compared to your chosen zero distance. None of that is terribly difficult when you have a solid grounding of the basics to reference, but for a new AR shooter is like drinking from a firehose.

So, if you can’t tell, I vote for an RDS for a first/only rifle. 

Can’t go wrong with an Aimpoint. PRO is great for the money. T2 is the bees knees, but twice as expensive.

Trijicon MRO is a good compromise at roughly the price of the PRO and a footprint closer to the T2.

Holosun also makes a great RDS for the price. The 503 is unbeatable for the price.

Whatever you do, don’t skimp on the mount! Buy quality - My Holosun optics have mounts that cost as much as the optic, and they are worth every penny. The PRO comes with one that is fine. You’ll have to choose one for the others. Lower 1/3 is the way to go. LaRue, Geissele, American Defense Manufacturing, Daniel Defense, Scalar, BoBro, are all good choices. 

@High Exposure you are right, I can probably handle it, but why make everything harder on myself into the beginning.  I'm really not sure where I'm going to go with everything just yet, I'm still new to a lot of it.  I'm really more concerned about a good foundation and setting myself up for success at first.  Everything can change if necessary.