deerpark

My FFL says that he cant submit my info to NICS without my Soc

During time NICS are open this site will tell you how many in queue and what day they're working on. 

https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/NicsVerification

I checked about an hour ago and it was 1083 in queue and working on Saturday as of 8:04am or something. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, InFamous said:

During time NICS are open this site will tell you how many in queue and what day they're working on. 

https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/NicsVerification

I checked about an hour ago and it was 1083 in queue and working on Saturday as of 8:04am or something. 

I see, you have to have an account there. Anyway, thanks for the info!

Actually my gun arrives only tomorrow, I just came to start the paperwork earlier to speed things up. But it seems they have to process the package first, as, they have to have the gun in hands to start NICS, right? So if they start it on Thursday, it should be done by Saturday or Monday. Well, I was told: "most likely Tuesday" :(

Nope I don't have account, it'll just have a header saying what I explained above. But yes, if they don't have the gun in hand they can't submit NICS cause they need to verify the serial number, make, model. You're looking at early next week. 

They have to check the gun into their books before they can transfer it to you. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 8:28 PM, Antonio5 said:

So what happened to deerpark? What was the end of the story?

BTW, I went to my FFL today to start NICS and was told that it takes about a week to get through. Really??? The things got that crazy or it was a little lie?

For anyone who was following this thread, I apologize for the disappearing act as I had to travel for work and just got back. 

Yes, I did receive my firearm. 

I also updated the OP with something that I had completely forgotten:

"Dick" had me complete an additional form which he himself created... 

Many, if not most of you, have suggested that I mention his name here. 

Here are my thoughts on doing that. 

I dont think hes a "bad" guy. 

I just think he is, as someone else mentioned, a Fudd FFL, making it even more difficult to buy a firearm in NJ, as though it wasnt already difficult enough.  *facepalm*

I always try to maintain good relations with people and if at all possible, resolve any kind of disagreement in a diplomatic and tactful way. 

Throughout this whole process, I think he was relatively "normal" and I always try to conduct myself in a mature, adult fashion.  :-)

So, theres no "animosity", atleast not on my part and I dont believe any on his either. 

The only thing which left me wondering was his insistence on getting my social security number. 

The stories and "lies" which he was telling me in order to try and get this info...  SMH. 

On 9/15/2020 at 8:45 PM, Antonio5 said:

Actually my gun arrives only tomorrow, I just came to start the paperwork earlier to speed things up. But it seems they have to process the package first, as, they have to have the gun in hands to start NICS, right? So if they start it on Thursday, it should be done by Saturday or Monday. Well, I was told: "most likely Tuesday" :(

On 9/15/2020 at 8:47 PM, InFamous said:

But yes, if they don't have the gun in hand they can't submit NICS cause they need to verify the serial number, make, model. You're looking at early next week. 

They have to check the gun into their books before they can transfer it to you. 

I'm pretty sure the make, model and serial number are recorded in the FFL's bound book only, not sent to NICS. I just acquired a pair of shotguns and the FFL completed the background check before he even saw the guns.

The FFL may have a policy not to start work on a gun he's only been told is on its way.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

I'm pretty sure the make, model and serial number are recorded in the FFL's bound book only, not sent to NICS. I just acquired a pair of shotguns and the FFL completed the background check before he even saw the guns.

The FFL may have a policy not to start work on a gun he's only been told is on its way.

November 1st fixes that.

13 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

Is this a change that's coming with the update to FARS?

New 4473 starts, where the firearms get listed first on the form before a NICS check can be made.

11 hours ago, Antonio5 said:

What about November 1st? Did I miss something?

Yes you did.  As stated in the post prior, the new 4473 is mandatory on Nov 1st. The firearms being purchased must be listed on the form prior to the purchaser filling out their info. My post was referencing the following:

On 9/30/2020 at 6:23 AM, PK90 said:

I just acquired a pair of shotguns and the FFL completed the background check before he even saw the guns.

• Informative 1

No you don't have to provide SSN. I doubt the guy is doing anything nefarious. Likely he just doesn't want to deal with name only holds and really doesn't want to argue about the 3 day release. 

As for his personal forms, I have run into that a lot for NJ as proof that they have informed you of the safe storage laws. It also usually serves as record that their notification complies with the state standard for font size and such. The requirement is notification of a single item that states "IT IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE, PUNISHABLE BY A FINE AND IMPRISONMENT, FOR AN ADULT TO LEAVE A LOADED FIREARM WITHIN EASY ACCESS OF A MINOR." in appropriately large font. I have encountered it stretched out to four items. The above required text, an item explaining what the law considers safe storage, a statement that you have waived an offer to purchase a trigger lock, and a statement saying that you have received these notifications, understand them, and have received a hard copy in duplicate for your personal records. 

Basically compliance with the law presented in such a way as that you can't claim the FFL tricked you into having to break the law.