geekLa

Slug gun scope mount and sight recommendations

After a long search found a Mossberg Field/Deer combo for hunting in NY and NJ with sabot slugs (using the rifled barrel)

curious if anyone has recommendations for good mounts and scopes for this setup.  The barrel has rifle sights but I’d prefer to have some sort of optic on this.  I have a Bushell Dawn to Dusk on my 22 but not sure it can handle this shotgun setup. 

thanks

I know Nikon had a few slug shotgun scopes at some point. I have not used those but own 4 Nikon scopes and have been pleased with them. That said, I believe Nikon has gotten out of the riflescope business and all those models are discontinued. You might be able to find them on clearance. Up to you to determine if potential lack of warranty replacement is worth any potential savings.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Regular Guy said:

I have a Mossberg Maverick 88 with a rifled barrel.  It did not have holes drilled in the top of the receiver so I got a TacStar Side Saddle with Picatinny rail.  From there, you'll have a lot of options for optics.

Thanks I’ll check that out. Should be coming in this week, will see if it has pre-drilled holes

Go with a red dot....and one thing....if you scope it...get the brightest glass u can and do NOT CHOKE up on that scope..it WILL punish your eye socket....

But having hunted extensively in nj the past 27 years...putting a scope in a slug gun for these woods is like putting tits on a bull

If anything change out the irons to fiber optic, and or 1:1 reddot....scope gains you nothing in these fields or hardwoods with a slug gun.

2 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Go with a red dot....and one thing....if you scope it...get the brightest glass u can and do NOT CHOKE up on that scope..it WILL punish your eye socket....

But having hunted extensively in nj the past 27 years...putting a scope in a slug gun for these woods is like putting tits on a bull

If anything change out the irons to fiber optic, and or 1:1 reddot....scope gains you nothing in these fields or hardwoods with a slug gun.

Good advice, definitely won't choke up on that scope!   Don't want to be walking around looking like a racoon :)

I am going to be getting red dot (Romeo 5 probably, affordable, reliable from what I've heard) for another gun and will try it on here and see how it works out. I see your point on the woods etc -  I am going to be hunting up in NY State as well but the woods aren't too much different up there.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, geekLa said:

Good advice, definitely won't choke up on that scope!   Don't want to be walking around looking like a racoon :)

I am going to be getting red dot (Romeo 5 probably, affordable, reliable from what I've heard) for another gun and will try it on here and see how it works out. I see your point on the woods etc -  I am going to be hunting up in NY State as well but the woods aren't too much different up there.

If you go to nys...bring a rifle...  ;)

• Like 1