GT998

Muzzle Brake Pinning - Alternative

If you don't want to "mess" with it, just get a barrel that isn't threaded. 

Otherwise, remember that even in a free state, people run 14.5" carbines and pin a muzzle device to hit 16" minimum barrel length unless they are going to SBR it.

Thanks guys, my barrels are all 16 or more without brake I am just trying to figure out all of the pinning options to satisfy NJ assuming I would like a threaded barrel or already own threaded barrels. Then figure out whether it's soemthing I am wiling to try myself or pay someone

Sadly, the only thing specified in the law is that they not be there. People hope/assume that the ATF's acceptance of pinning and welding to consider the 2 parts as 1 is good for NJ, but they could cut the break off and go "There! Threads! 10 years in jail." if they really wanted to. Since NJ likes to base it's "laws" on product branding, red LocTight which is advertised as permanent, might be valid, but who knows. If a cop did it, it would be ok I bet. Regular people? /shrug

12 minutes ago, beren said:

Sadly, the only thing specified in the law is that they not be there. People hope/assume that the ATF's acceptance of pinning and welding to consider the 2 parts as 1 is good for NJ, but they could cut the break off and go "There! Threads! 10 years in jail." if they really wanted to. Since NJ likes to base it's "laws" on product branding, red LocTight which is advertised as permanent, might be valid, but who knows. If a cop did it, it would be ok I bet. Regular people? /shrug

Realistically, I think that 99.99% of the time this will only matter when brought in front of a DA/jury after the firearm is used in self-defense, but given the current climate that is a now an event we must anticipate.  Because of the deliberate vague laws, I think using hollow points in self defense in one's own home may also be thought of in a similar way?

7 hours ago, GT998 said:

Realistically, I think that 99.99% of the time this will only matter when brought in front of a DA/jury after the firearm is used in self-defense, but given the current climate that is a now an event we must anticipate.  Because of the deliberate vague laws, I think using hollow points in self defense in one's own home may also be thought of in a similar way?

It is supposed to be illegal to possess hollow nose or hollow point bullets unless you are engaged in one of the activities that are considered “exemptions.” These include: hunting, fishing, and target shooting.

If you shoot somebody with HP you are going to be in trouble in NJ.

1 hour ago, antiriad said:

It is supposed to be illegal to possess hollow nose or hollow point bullets unless you are engaged in one of the activities that are considered “exemptions.” These include: hunting, fishing, and target shooting.

Fishing?

On 9/17/2020 at 4:43 PM, GT998 said:

my understanding is you can have hollow points in your home in NJ.  you probably don't want to use them on an intruder

If I have a choice between rounds that might overpenetrate and hit a family member and rounds that will expand nicely and stop inside Mr. Intruder's torso, well, that's not really a choice, is it?

I will tell the police, the judge, the warden, the parole board and the Star Ledger that I purchased those rounds specifically to end a threat. 

• Agree 2