Zeke

Could you blast a Molotov coming at ya?

3 minutes ago, Zeke said:

It’s a weird thought experiment. I’m not used to a 2 way range. But could you deter it? And what load would be best? And choke recommendations also..

Something tells me the next Clinton WMA shotgun meetup is going to be epic.  Probably will want to have the paramedics standing by and the hospital burn unit on alert, but epic just the same.

• Haha 4

I feel like this is a bad plan waiting to happen, assuming a glass bottle you would probably cause a wider dispersion pattern if you hit your target and depending on how it is thrown(arching vs flat) it could be more dangerous to you and yours. 

I'd say the better drill is center mass before the throw then moving laterally away incase the incendiary is thrown and firing again.

1 minute ago, CF1782 said:

I feel like this is a bad plan waiting to happen, assuming a glass bottle you would probably cause a wider dispersion pattern if you hit your target and depending on how it is thrown(arching vs flat) it could be more dangerous to you and yours. 

I'd say the better drill is center mass before the throw then moving laterally away incase the incendiary is thrown and firing again.

I was coming back to edit my post to say exactly the above. CBDR bottle Air-Burst mid-arc is probably worse case with respect to risk. 

1 hour ago, fishnut said:

Clays with motivation. 

@Zeke would be screwed 

Challenge accepted 

1 hour ago, CF1782 said:

This is why I like you. Smert 

25 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Have you seen Armageddon?  Picture that with flaming shards of glass. 

Gay glass?

26 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Have you seen Armageddon?  Picture that with flaming shards of glass. 

Isn’t that the safe word for gerbils 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Wanna do a Shotgun shoot?  Right now Sunday the 20th looks good for me...

Not I. I’m shooten the 26th with the forum forgotten members in souf joisey 

I need one of those water balloon launchers to prove my theory 

59 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Let’s get into science here.... @10X help me out. The vapor in gas is the combustible. Sooo if I vaporize that bitch I should see no harm. Granted inertia has some effect 

So science. Yeah. First ask the right question:  Is it possible to hit a container Of gasoline with shotgun mid-flight and have it consume all the fuel before it reaches its target. 
So variables:  Flight time?  where in its arc is it hit?  Calculated: Time from hit to target.  How much fuel? What kind?  How much exposed wick?  Projectile size and count?  Container type and thickness  Temperature?  Humidity?

My theory is you’re not going to be able to induce enough heat through friction caused by shotgun projectile impacting the container to vaporize the entire contents of a typical glass bottle to the point that the exposed wick will ignite and burn away all the fuel  

2 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Just light the cocktail at a standstill then shoot it. Time the event. Divide the time into the speed at which it can be hurled.

It will get more air flow (and slightly better vaporization) during flight.   
Then again the ignition temp of gasoline is -50c where as the boiling point is 40c. So you could never vaporize it like we are talking about since the lit wick will ignite any liquid gasoline it comes in contact with. 

30 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

So science. Yeah. First ask the right question:  Is it possible to hit a container Of gasoline with shotgun mid-flight and have it consume all the fuel before it reaches its target. 
So variables:  Flight time?  where in its arc is it hit?  Calculated: Time from hit to target.  How much fuel? What kind?  How much exposed wick?  Projectile size and count?  Container type and thickness  Temperature?  Humidity?

My theory is you’re not going to be able to induce enough heat through friction caused by shotgun projectile impacting the container to vaporize the entire contents of a typical glass bottle to the point that the exposed wick will ignite and burn away all the fuel  

1 you never get out of your moms basement to shoot with us me

2 I’ve been practicing @fishnut hold my cocktail.

3 do even own a shotgun. Learn from @gleninjersey and buy one 

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

1 you never get out of your moms basement to shoot with us me

2 I’ve been practicing @fishnut hold my cocktail.

3 do even own a shotgun. Learn from @gleninjersey and buy one 

None of that is science... 

Want shotgun, not in the cards atm. 

3 hours ago, Zeke said:

Let’s get into science here.... @10X help me out. The vapor in gas is the combustible. Sooo if I vaporize that bitch I should see no harm. Granted inertia has some effect 

I'm not so sure about the 'see no harm' thing.   I doubt most of the antifa-types can throw a molotov cocktail very far, so you're going to be fairly close when (and if) you hit it.  The bottle fragments will still have their forward momentum, the gas will slow down pretty quickly once out of the bottle and encountering air resistance.  Will it help?  No idea, though having the bottle break in the air instead of against the side of your house might be a good thing.  The experiment @PK90 suggests would be an interesting place to start.

You're right about the vapor being the combustible.   Liquid fuels can't burn as a liquid, only when vaporized.  Under the right circumstances you can put out a match by dropping it in gasoline (though it has to be pretty cold, ideally with a light breeze to make sure the lit match hits the liquid before it encounters any of the gas vapor that is usually present).