Cheflife15

Paintball gun in nj

8 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

A friend of mine found 2 paintball guns from when he was younger and they were sold at Wal-Mart. After some googling it seems like he need a permit for these. Any idea what type of permit. Google isnt giving me a straight answer. 

No.  Paintball guns are not firearms.

13 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

No.  Paintball guns are not firearms.

Be careful with that statement. In our eyes it’s not, but to the letter of NJ’s law, it is a weapon. That’s why if you search “paintball gun legality in NJ” on google, you’ll see lawyers advertising that they defend this specific charge in court. Which means even if you’re found not guilty, you still have to go through the court system and pay a lawyer to prove that it’s not a firearm. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

This guy is a moron.  Airsoft guns do not have to be registered as firearms and neither do paintball guns,  Case law is already settled.  Ray Gong already proved in court that they are not firearms.  Now if you use one in any UNLAWFUL manner you can be charged.

Here is another statement from this "lawyer" who doesn't know the law...

"When it comes to assault rifles in New Jersey, there is a strict prohibition.  Gun magazines aren’t permitted to carry more than 10 rounds, as of a law enacted recently to further limits magazine capacity.  Any firearm purchased before May 1, 1990 is not subject to these rules and is “grandfathered” and exempt from regulations."

There is no grandfathering of anything.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

The issue is. Not a firearm until you shoot a non participant. Then it’s a gamut of crap charges. IE lethal weapon, imitation firearm... etc etc etc

• Thanks 1

Just now, Tunaman said:

This guy is a moron.  Airsoft guns do not have to be registered as firearms and neither do paintball guns,  Case law is already settled.  Ray Gong already proved in court that they are not firearms.  Now if you use one in any UNLAWFUL manner you can be charged.

Haha thats what I thought too. I had 2 paintball guns maybe 15/18 years ago. I used to shoot them peacefully in my backyard with no issues. Thank you. 

4 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Haha thats what I thought too. I had 2 paintball guns maybe 15/18 years ago. I used to shoot them peacefully in my backyard with no issues. Thank you. 

Peaceful paintball guns can turn into looting/rioting paintball guns VERY quickly if you dont' keep an eye on them...

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

This guy is a moron. Airsoft guns do not have to be registered as firearms and neither do paintball guns,  Case law is already settled.  Ray Gong already proved in court that they are not firearms.  Now if you use one in any UNLAWFUL manner you can be charged.

"When it comes to assault rifles in New Jersey, there is a strict prohibition.  Gun magazines aren’t permitted to carry more than 10 rounds, as of a law enacted recently to further limits magazine capacity.  Any firearm purchased before May 1, 1990 is not subject to these rules and is “grandfathered” and exempt from regulations."

They also are saying you need a "permit" to OWN a firearm in NJ. I would like to know what they think someone who owns a firearm without "permit" would be charged with.............

I would also love to see what an active duty police officer's "carry permit" looks like?

14 minutes ago, Oakridgefirearms said:

I would also love to see what an active duty police officer's "carry permit" looks like?

It’s that shiny tin thing with a number. you know, that same thing that comes out when they get pulled over for driving like an ass. :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tommy3rd said:

It’s that shiny tin thing with a number. you know, that same thing that comes out when they get pulled over for driving like an ass. :D

Yeah, that was my point LOL, active duty cops are exempt from needing a carry permit. They carry on their credentials

Paintball guns were ruled by a NJ judge to be "not firearms" in 1988:

http://topgunpaintball.com/history/

...On April 22nd, Judge Milberg ruled that paintball "guns" were not firearms under NJ Firearm laws, thus paving the way for paintball in New Jersey. His decision stated that paintball guns were not firearms since the definition of a cartridge for firearms also included internal combustion and that even though gas powered devices are covered under firearm laws, they also state that the projectile emitted must be less than 3/8 inch (.375 caliber). Thus a paintball pistol or rifle cannot be considered firearms under the current law. In addition, Judge Milberg ruled that the paintball guns were not "destructive devices" since those weapons also involve uncontrollable combustion. Judge Milberg’s ruling was officially signed on May 2nd, the official birthday of paintball in New Jersey. That made New Jersey the last state in the entire United States to legalize paintball. A dozen foreign countries approved paintball before New Jersey.

The case was appealed by the Prosecutor’s Office. However, the Appellate Court unanimously upheld Judge Milberg’s Superior Court ruling on November 22, 1988. ...

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 8:57 AM, Tunaman said:

You're 99% correct.  Many, many moons ago....if you registered your "Assault Weapon" prior to the famous Florio Ban kicking-in, you could own it legally through "Grandfathering".  I believe the "Grandfathering" was only good for the owner when said owner was still breathin' AIR, so the estate of the deceased owner would then have to sell said "assault weapon" out of state, since at THAT juncture no legal means of legal NJ to NJ transfer was allowed.  With the death of the original owner, the grandfathering died with them...  Now at 61 I'm still fairly "sharp" & didn't do an actual look-up, so I'll beg forgiveness now if I'm wrong.  But I do remember a calendar "cut-off" to legally register "assault weapons"!

Present day the term "grandfathering" is about as meaningful as talking about Do-do bird eggs.

Oh, and whoevva this lawyer is that you quoted----HE'S A SCHMUCK!  Doesn't know SHIT from Shinola!

Rosey