JohnZ

Remington 870 No Treads for a choke

Hello all ! , So I have had my Remington for a few years now purchased it for a just in case , shot some slugs out of it at the range pretty dam on the mark, I just modified it looks awesome, but I just went to look and found there is No Choke on my 870 , no treads to take a choke either, I stuck my pinky down for a feel and nothing no treads. Rem870.jpg.181fd9951230b89f71060ce6c18fec15.jpgHmm confused. On the side of the barrel it says takes 2 3/4 or 3 inch, so my question is can I shoot any type of ammo out of my Remington 870 , buck shot , slug yes i did already , 4 pellet 7 pellet Does it matter ?

Still learning thanks.

JZ

Can't tell from picture what length barrel you have, but if its an 18", it seems uncommon to have anything but a cylinder bore. If you aren't hunting or doing lots of skeet/trap shooting, probably not too big an issue, your shot spread will just be wider.

I have sucessfully used an 18" barreled cylinder bore Benelli Supernova to bust clays as long as I don't try to hit anything too far out.

You should be able to shoot any 2 3/4 or 3" shell out there, though i believe sabot slugs may not work well in a smoothbore. Otherwise, 000 buck, 4 buck, #7.5 or #9 shot, and anything between should shoot fine (if wider spread)  out of it.

Since its an 870, if you require a barrel with a choke, used and new barrels are out there everywhere (except maybe these last few months)

41 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

Hello all ! , So I have had my Remington for a few years now purchased it for a just in case , shot some slugs out of it at the range pretty dam on the mark, I just modified it looks awesome, but I just went to look and found there is No Choke on my 870 , no treads to take a choke either, I stuck my pinky down for a feel and nothing no treads. Rem870.jpg.181fd9951230b89f71060ce6c18fec15.jpgHmm confused. On the side of the barrel it says takes 2 3/4 or 3 inch, so my question is can I shoot any type of ammo out of my Remington 870 , buck shot , slug yes i did already , 4 pellet 7 pellet Does it matter ?

Still learning thanks.

JZ

And just like that....magically the gun you were askin' about bein' NJ legal yesterday is today fully assembled, lol! :) 

Nice "Hallway Gun" btw.  Q:  What's the barrel length?  If it's 18.5" you can probably bet it's a Cylinder Bore scattergun.

And @Displaced Texan is correct.  Choke is stamped on the barrel.  Might be abbreviated to "12 gauge Cyl 2 3/4 and 3 Inches" fyi.

Rosey

• Agree 2

As others have already mentioned, it is not typical for an 18" bbl to be threaded  If it bothers you, you can get it threaded, but why...then again, why not.  imho, It's a HD scatter gun.  It will get it done as is.  Ammo selection can get you the spread pattern you want.  Buy a bunch  (ha ha ha haaaaaa....)  sorry.  ahem, anyway, buy a bunch of different brands and types, and you will find a shotshell that will give you the spread pattern you desire.

24 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

It should read IC, Improved cylinder. 

You wouldn't want anything more than that shooting slugs, and buck shot you want control flight loads if you are looking for tighter patterns. 

I’ll bet it says cly.. period 

if he wants chokes, buy a new barrel.

its a standard 870.

34 minutes ago, Zeke said:

I’ll bet it says cly.. period 

if he wants chokes, buy a new barrel.

its a standard 870z

That's not what mine says, LOL.

Their 18.5" and 20" SB rifle sights are ALL IC, they sell CYL seperate.

Their 18.5" bead sight is also IC, for their combos and general models.

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/search/productdetail.aspx?pid=26925

The only one i see listed is their Home defense and tactical with CYL.

If its a tactical model it has CYL.

It changes nothing though, getting another barrel offers him exactly nothing, unless you think moving from CYL to IC is going to afford you anything... It's stupid advice. He would have to buy another fixed choke barrel just to go up one size. Even if he spent all that money on barrels with chokes, i would still recommend he run flight control 00Buck if his goal is increased range.

Imagine when the  2 rounds you use ..Slugs and Buck, dont even require a choke....

I mean there is a reason 99% of barrels under 20" come with fixed chokes in CYL and IC. unless we're talking field guns(O/U SXS). 

If he wants chokes(which he never said he did), i would politely discuss the benefits if he has an CYL or IC barrel that doesnt need anything more. WHICH IS THE ENTIRE REASON they don't come with the option to swap choke sizes. 

14 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

The stamp might be hidden under the mag tube. 

On my 18.5" Remington made bbl, it is to the right of the chambering info ( * 12GA.   2 3/4" or 3"  ), then to the right in very very tiny letters that were not well stamped ( CYL).  I could not identify the marking without a magnifying glass.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Imagine when the  2 rounds you use ..Slugs and Buck, dont even require a choke....

Slugs do okay with CYL, but perform best with IC.  Sooooo, ya, not a requirement but.

Also, a threaded barrel give the user the option to use extended chokes with built in compensators for muzzle rise control.  Is it necessary, not really, but why not if you want it.

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

Slugs do okay with CYL, but perform best with IC.  Sooooo, ya, not a requirement but.

Also, a threaded barrel give the user the option to use extended chokes with built in compensators for muzzle rise control.  Is it necessary, not really, but why not if you want it.

Its an aftermarket option. 

Carlson's Remington 870 12 Gauge Breacher Barrel 18.5" Steel Black

You could always get a clamp on muzzle brake. 

I'm not one to tell someone what to buy, or how to spend their money. But it is worth a conversation to determine what the intended use is. The 18-20' barrels are typically assumed to be self defense weapons, hence the short distance chokes, or slug use. 

I'd rather point someone in a better direction if possible. A lot of shells these days are making chokes obsolete, especially for defensive purposes. 

If you go through a couple cases a year hunting, like water fowl, its definitely better to use the correct chokes with economic rounds.

3 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Must say  thank you all, been getting an amazing amount of information, My intended use is self defense at short and the longest distance possible with the 18 inch barrel, I thought a choke would help for longer distance to keep the spread tight but I do not know the answer to that , it was kinda of logical in my mind but I am probably wrong :) , still learning and you all are defiantly  helping me learn. 

Much appreciated.

JZ 

7 hours ago, JohnZ said:

it was kinda of logical in my mind but I am probably wrong

You are on the right track, now you just have to figure out where it goes.  Don't try and learn it all at once, you can't, it's impossible because most of the learning is through practical experience.  You will learn what does, and does not work for you.  And what one learns for them self, may not be the right answer for the next guy that rolls in.  And....  It can be an expensive process.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

You are on the right track, now you just have to figure out where it goes.  Don't try and learn it all at once, you can't, it's impossible because most of the learning is through practical experience.  You will learn what does, and does not work for you.  And what one learns for them self, may not be the right answer for the next guy that rolls in.  And....  It can be an expensive process.

Werd

buy a bigger gun safe. It’s a rabbit hole