kc10dave

First Shotgun?

I was in Dicks Sporting Goods in Moorestown last week and they completely stopped selling firearms and ammo. Didn’t even see any hunting gear or targets etc. they said they stopped in January. So you won’t be able to buy a shotgun there anymore. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, CGVETERAN said:

I was in Dicks Sporting Goods in Moorestown last week and they completely stopped selling firearms and ammo. Didn’t even see any hunting gear or targets etc. they said they stopped in January. So you won’t be able to buy a shotgun there anymore. 

Last I checked there is one Dick’s that still sells firearms.  But it is not worth it for me to go there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CGVETERAN said:

Dicks is anti gun...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StarGazer said:

The Mossberg Maverick 88 is highly recommended for first time shotgun owners.  However, like most HD shotguns these days, they are impossible to find in 18.5" size, and when you do find one they are $600 or 3x the normal price. (see gunbroker pricing - it's insane)

Uh... you can literally grab a remington police model for a few extra bones at that price. 

Wtf are people thinking...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JackDaWack said:

Uh... you can literally grab a remington police model for a few extra bones at that price. 

Wtf are people thinking...

Yeah, it's crazy.  I really think it's the 18.5 barrel that first time owners are looking for rather than any specific brand/model.  If it's USA made, it's sells at a big premium.  The Turks and the dealers have been able to capitalize on this by flooding the market with Turkish shotguns for home defense around the $300 level.  Not a bad deal if you got to have one in today's environment.  If it saves your bacon, it's really priceless.

Here's another recent Mav 88 auction: $565 + shipping + FFL transfer fee (well over $600 net)

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/879709407

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, StarGazer said:

Yeah, it's crazy.  I really think it's the 18.5 barrel that first time owners are looking for rather than any specific brand/model.  If it's USA made, it's sells at a big premium.  The Turks and the dealers have been able to capitalize on this by flooding the market with Turkish shotguns for home defense around the $300 level.  Not a bad deal if you got to have one in today's environment.  If it saves your bacon, it's really priceless.

Here's another recent Mav 88 auction: $565 + shipping + FFL transfer fee (well over $600 net)

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/879709407

Bought a Churchill 12 ga 612 tactical pump, 18.5" barrel, piston grip, picatinny tail, ghost ring sight, extended tac choke, with a crown muzzle breach brake.  $330  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kc10dave said:

Bought a Churchill 12 ga 612 tactical pump, 18.5" barrel, piston grip, picatinny tail, ghost ring sight, extended tac choke, with a crown muzzle breach brake.  $330  

Very nice deal in today's market! But I'm still jealous that you scored that Sig and 223 ammo. Did you pick it up yet or still waiting on NJ Nics?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, StarGazer said:

Very nice deal in today's market! But I'm still jealous that you scored that Sig and 223 ammo. Did you pick it up yet or still waiting on NJ Nics?

Unbelievably yes.  Nics only took 2 days...Wow!  Picked up the Sig Tac and a Ruger 9mm compact yesterday.  I can't believe I'm still waiting for PA nics on the shotgun. It's been 10 day now.  I think PA puts NJ buyers at bottom of pile...lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kc10dave said:

Unbelievably yes.  Nics only took 2 days...Wow!  Picked up the Sig Tac and a Ruger 9mm compact yesterday.  I can't believe I'm still waiting for PA nics on the shotgun. It's been 10 day now.  I think PA puts NJ buyers at bottom of pile...lol

Nice, as long as you have the Sig and Ruger, life is good.  And yes the gun business is so good that PA doesn't want our money.  I went to the Poconos gun show on Sat and Tall Timber turned away $ 2k + in business from me, because they didn't want to do any NJ transfers (on compliant models, one AR and a 9mm PCC).

• Sad 1