random33

Is FFL transfer needed for semi-auto(AR15)?

Hi, I am new here and may be my question was asked and answered, but I cannot find it.

So, I want to buy an AR-15 at out of the state  gun show. Let say it is NJ compliant and lack 5-evil features. Can I take it and drive it myself legally or should it be send to NJ FFL and have it transferred for a fee to me?

Thanks!

If the seller at the out-of-state gun show is an FFL and is willing to do a transfer according to the regulations of both the state the show is in and New Jersey's then you can take possession of the AR right there (bring a rifle case with you to the show and take the rifle home in the case, fastened close).

Otherwise, the seller (either FFL or not) can ship the rifle to a NJ FFL and the NJ FFL can do the transfer to you. 

If you're going to go that route (have seller ship rifle to NJ FFL), why not just order from an online firearms retailer and have them ship to a NJ FFL and save yourself the trip to the gun show?

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

All firearms pistols and long rifles must go through an ffl and have a nics check on the purchaser before you can aquire it.  You can not take possession of it and take it to nj until nics is done. 

Very important.

Given how slow the NICS system has been recently it's not likely that OP would be able pay for and take home a gun from the gun show.

For example, a couple of years ago I went to Cabela's in PA on a Saturday morning and bought a bolt rifle.  I got there at 10:00 am and the NICS check completed in just over an hour, so I was able to take the rifle home with me.

I doubt anyone will get that kind of turnaround for a while.

Thanks a lot DirtyDigz! Your answer makes a perfect sense. Most of what I've seen on the show was FFLs, doing NICS checks, and works with neighbour states. (I wasn't sure about semi-auto though) Otherwise, If they need to send it to NJ FFL, I would better buy online and do the same. Thanks for reminding about a rifle case :)

3 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Given how slow the NICS system has been recently it's not likely that OP would be able pay for and take home a gun from the gun show.

*NEW JERSEY* NICS is slow, because the 2 NJSP officers (or whatever small number are assigned to it) are overloaded at times.

*National* NICS is still near instant - if random33 goes out of state to get a NICS check, it will likely go through quickly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1