10X

I got my first fake ID today!

I never had a fake ID as a kid...never had a need for one.  

Back in May, my NJ Driver's License expired, and thanks to Covid and some dumb decisions by the governor, getting in to renew it was impossible.  It was extended twice, but the final extension expires this month.   I needed to get a REAL ID for federal ID purposes, since the basic NJ drivers license is no longer useful as an ID, because the state has dumbed down the ID requirements to the point where they have no idea who is getting a license (and the attached voter registration card).  Yes, I can fly with my passport, but I don't normally have it with me, and I figure it's just a matter of time before I forget to take it to the airport.

The word from my local motor vehicle offices is that if you aren't in line by 4 or 5 am, you won't be processed by the time they close...and even though they are supposed to be issuing RealID licenses if your license expires this month, they are turning people away for RealID because it takes too long and they are focused on getting the quicker stuff out of the way.   So with my license expiring in a few weeks and a multi-state road trip coming up, I had to resort to renewing my non-Federal ID license online.  

It was quick and easy; no verification of anything, they'll use my old file photo, and my expired license is instantly valid (at least in the database).   They'll eventually send me a new plastic license with my old photo, and I'll remain legal to drive next month, even if it's not a federally-recognized ID.

So to recap, today the State of New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission issued me a fake ID.  

Thanks, Governor Gopher! 

My DL expires at the end of November, I’m dreading getting it renewed with the current lines, and mess. 

I really need the Real-ID, as I travel frequently. I’m waiting on my passport renewal, so without a real-ID I might be SOL, 

I had my old license expire a year ago, and kept holding off on doing it through internet because I wanted a real-id and there was no info really being released. I was getting closer and closer to expiration date and finally said i have to do it and renewed my normal DL.  24 hours later I get the email "we are now doing real ID"... assholes.

Since NJ sure won't give me one for "free" (normal DL renewal cost when I should have been able to in Sept) despite it being their fault for delaying and being years behind schedule issuing them, I think I am going to eventually get a passport id card. Cost is fairly similar since i have had a passport (now expired) and it is a few more dollars i din't gotta give to NJ, which makes me slightly happier.

18 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

So it's renewed as a NON Real-ID DL?

Yes, NJ is continuing to issue non-RealID licenses as well; it’s necessary so that they can continue to register voters without ID.   Takes about a minute to renew online, you can even enter a new address that doesn’t match what was on your old license and they’ll change it on your license. .  No wonder the Feds refuse to recognize it; it’s of no more value as an ID than an expired Blockbuster video card.  

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

My DL expires at the end of November, I’m dreading getting it renewed with the current lines, and mess. 

I really need the Real-ID, as I travel frequently. I’m waiting on my passport renewal, so without a real-ID I might be SOL, 

And Murphy's second state shut down hasn't even gone into effect yet.  can't imagine what MVC will be like then.   If you listen carefully to him the second state shutdown is just a few weeks to a month away.

1 hour ago, 10X said:

I never had a fake ID as a kid...never had a need for one.  

Back in May, my NJ Driver's License expired, and thanks to Covid and some dumb decisions by the governor, getting in to renew it was impossible.  It was extended twice, but the final extension expires this month.   I needed to get a REAL ID for federal ID purposes, since the basic NJ drivers license is no longer useful as an ID, because the state has dumbed down the ID requirements to the point where they have no idea who is getting a license (and the attached voter registration card).  Yes, I can fly with my passport, but I don't normally have it with me, and I figure it's just a matter of time before I forget to take it to the airport.

The word from my local motor vehicle offices is that if you aren't in line by 4 or 5 am, you won't be processed by the time they close...and even though they are supposed to be issuing RealID licenses if your license expires this month, they are turning people away for RealID because it takes too long and they are focused on getting the quicker stuff out of the way.   So with my license expiring in a few weeks and a multi-state road trip coming up, I had to resort to renewing my non-Federal ID license online.  

It was quick and easy; no verification of anything, they'll use my old file photo, and my expired license is instantly valid (at least in the database).   They'll eventually send me a new plastic license with my old photo, and I'll remain legal to drive next month, even if it's not a federally-recognized ID.

So to recap, today the State of New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission issued me a fake ID.  

Thanks, Governor Gopher! 

The Real ID deadline has been moved to 10/1/2021. You don't need a RealID until then. 

12 minutes ago, revenger said:

And Murphy's second state shut down hasn't even gone into effect yet.  can't imagine what MVC will be like then.   If you listen carefully to him the second state shutdown is just a few weeks to a month away.

Yeah I’m sure he’s not through fucking up this state. 

29 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Looks like it will be extremely helpful to have my passport to get Real-ID. I’ll hold off a few weeks and hopefully it will have come by then. 

Deadline for Real-ID is Oct 2021

Sign up for Global Entry.    What you get is a real-ID.  I was traveling so much last year that I went ahead and got Global Entry.  I only used the Global part twice last year, but you get TSA-Pre with it and that I must have used 30 times.

1 minute ago, Displaced Texan said:

I have pre check. I should do GE. 

With the travel down this year, I bet the conditional approval comes pretty quick.  I got my interview at Newark.     I was traveling so much, I forgot one trip to Europe!  I did two trips to Germany, one trip to the Netherlands. 

It was the trip to Dallas that was my undoing.   There is a house in New Orleans Dallas, they call called the rising sun Lockhart's Smokehouse, it's been the ruin of many a poor boy, dear God, I know I was one.   

22 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

The Real ID deadline has been moved to 10/1/2021. You don't need a RealID until then. 

Sonofagun!   I wasn't aware of the extension.   That will help, the lines at Murphy's MVC stations should be slightly shorter by then.

But not to let a good rant go to waste, I still think the basic NJ drivers license fully meets the definition of a fake ID.

18 minutes ago, Malsua said:

With the travel down this year, I bet the conditional approval comes pretty quick.  I got my interview at Newark.     I was traveling so much, I forgot one trip to Europe!  I did two trips to Germany, one trip to the Netherlands. 

It was the trip to Dallas that was my undoing.   There is a house in New Orleans Dallas, they call called the rising sun Lockhart's Smokehouse, it's been the ruin of many a poor boy, dear God, I know I was one.   

Lockharts is EXCELLENT! They’ll ruin you for any other BBQ. 

• Agree 1