TurboDiverArt

Purchase Shotgun in Ohio

Hi All,

First Post.  I have read about 8 pages in the NJ gun law section, did a search on the topic as well as visited the NJSP site.  Here’s the situation.  My daughter who is 19 has a valid NJFID and is away at school in Akron, Ohio.  She wants to purchase a shotgun in Ohio.  Can she purchase a shotgun from an Ohio dealer/FFL and legally transport it back to NJ when the school year is over? 

I found a post from 2012 that says she can as long as the out-of-state FFL fills out the NJ Certificate of Eligibility that you can download from the NJSP website.  The reason I question if this is still true is that the NJSP website says this:

3. How do you buy rifles and/or shotguns, including bb, pellet, and black powder rifles?

It is the responsibility of the seller of the rifles and/or shotguns, including bb, pellet, and black powder rifles to ascertain that the buyer has a valid Firearms Purchaser Identification Card plus one additional form of photo identification and completes a Certificate of Eligibility for each firearm. The information contained on the Firearms Purchaser Identification Card must match the identification of the transferor to be valid.  A Certificate of Eligibility can be obtained at any licensed firearms dealer, or this web site. *All firearms transactions must be completed at a State licensed retail firearms dealer with the exemption of transactions between a) members of an immediate family b) law enforcement officers c) collectors in possession of a valid Collector of Curios and Relics License issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. (See N.J.S.A. 2C:58-3 for further information)

I’ve bolded the part that throws doubt if she can purchase out of state.  It’s not clear if the above is dealing with a private sale having to go thru an FFL.  I don’t know if Ohio requires a NICS check to be performed for purchase.  If they do not, does she need to request that they perform one in addition to filling out the COE?  It doesn’t look like it needs to be sent to anyone at the NJSP.

If she finds a used shotgun in Ohio that she wants to purchase and does the transaction thru an Ohio FFL, is this legal assuming there is a NJ COE filled out?

Thanks,

Art.

NJ will allow any state to sell a NJ legal long gun via FFL to a NJ resident as long as the NJ resident buyer has a FID and NJ Govt ID and that state (selling FFL) has to be willing to sell to an otherwise eligible NJ resident. (Private sales are OK but must transfer through an FFL - and that is federal law)

Federal law states that long guns can be sold to an out of state resident as long as the rules/laws of both states are followed.

The problems arise when the non-NJ state (the selling FFL) does not want to deal with NJ’s minutae.

And as far as the COE, some seller’s will fill it out and some dont care because it is not required for the transfer to occur...she will receive transfer documents from the FFL that the NICS was conducted and the shotgun transferred.

Yes, she can buy any long gun she likes from an FFL.  Smaller FFLs may not want to deal with it, but larger ones will. 

She can buy any handgun she likes, it just needs to get picked up at a NJ FFL and requires a Pistol permit so there's that whole shipping to NJ thing.

Friend to Friend from an Ohio State resident to a NJ State resident requires an FFL sign it into the books.

Of course, if she's residing in Ohio, has an address, bills and considers herself to be a resident of the great state of Ohio, well she's a resident isn't she?   Ohio Resident to Ohio resident requires only that she not be a prohibited person and trading friend to friend is perfectly legal.  Sounds strange to a NJ resident.  It isn't to a Ohio one.  I've been both.

As for bringing it back here, as long as it doesn't violate the assault weapons statute, it's perfectly fine to have in NJ.

Thanks for the info.  The statement on the state police website is totally misleading since it's under the rifle/long gun section since it states, "All firearms transactions must be completed at a State licensed retail firearms dealer", unless they mean (any)state licensed retail firearms dealer.

8 minutes ago, Bellasdaddy said:

The NJ requirement for an FFL transfer for a long gun in all circumstances is fairly new but I think they are referring to an FFL

... and they probably aren't even considering that someone would want do that out of state. :)

If I was her, I would just legally become a resident of Ohio. Is there any advantages to being an NJ resident over being an OH resident? There is no way Ohio has worse gun laws than New Jersey. 

added: holy crap! I just checked Ohio's CCW reciprocity agreement, and it looks better than Florida's!

On 9/9/2020 at 4:31 PM, TurboDiverArt said:

Thanks for the info.  The statement on the state police website is totally misleading since it's under the rifle/long gun section since it states, "All firearms transactions must be completed at a State licensed retail firearms dealer", unless they mean (any)state licensed retail firearms dealer.

The NJ info is for NJ. 

You question would fall under Ohio law and federal law.

Federally she is allowed to buy a long gun out of state and take immediate possession, but not a handgun as described above. NJ'S laws are irrelevant in this case 

On 9/9/2020 at 9:14 PM, Krdshrk said:

I purchased my Henry Golden Boy out of state.  No issues.  Some states will only sell to neighboring states however.  

Speaking of which, could you have gone straight to Bayonne and bought one there?