Gosnellus

Transporting a Handgun to NY

A friend of mine has a cabin in upstate NY. We were both planning on bringing our handguns to the cabin this weekend to shoot. After reading up on NY gun law, it seems like it will be a criminal charge if I am caught traveling through NY state with a handgun. Does anyone have any experience with this and know the correct answer?

2 hours ago, Gosnellus said:

A friend of mine has a cabin in upstate NY. We were both planning on bringing our handguns to the cabin this weekend to shoot. After reading up on NY gun law, it seems like it will be a criminal charge if I am caught traveling through NY state with a handgun. Does anyone have any experience with this and know the correct answer?

^^^Yes & YES!

Leave the hand guns at home and take a pump or break-action scattergun.  Make plans to visit a scattergun facility (Skeet, Trap, Sporting Clays) write them down & put them in the vehicle you're traveling in.  Should you get T-boned & have yer guns splayed-out all over the highway, you now have a legit reason to HAVE them with you in the vehicle, UNLOADED & stored separately from the ammo :) 

Hand guns (all types) and AR-15's are considered evil weapons of death & destruction, so leave them HOME in Jersey since you probably don't have a NY state SAFE Act compliant AR w/ pistol grip that bends-around and makes a stock, right?

If you're a "one-trick Pony" and only own a handgun, yer S.O.L.  Just ask the last two Jamokes that went into the woods in Orange Co. NY last year with an "ARSENAL" of "ILLEGAL" firearms & blasted away.  NYS Police tracked them down & thru them in the grey-bar hotel...

• Agree 1

This is all true you can not possess a handgun in NY unless you have a NY pistol permit or you are traveling to a NRA sanctioned pistil match. Considering how NY is currently treating the NRA I would not try that exemption.

Your friend who owns the cabin should get his NY pistol permit.. You won't be able to bring your pistols but you could shoot his while you are there.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, brucin said:

This is all true you can not possess a handgun in NY unless you have a NY pistol permit or you are traveling to a NRA sanctioned pistil match. Considering how NY is currently treating the NRA I would not try that exemption.

Your friend who owns the cabin should get his NY pistol permit.. You won't be able to bring your pistols but you could shoot his while you are there.

Technically no. In New York that’s considered an illegal transfer. Unless the handgun is registered to you, you cannot touch it. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Everything posted here has been correct.  

Don't take your handguns to NY

Don't touch someone else's gun in NY

If you must take a long gun, lock it up in the trunk.   Your NJ legal AR is probably not NY legal.   Ammo locked up in a different box.    Mums the word if you get pulled over as there is no duty to inform.  Below is a list of Duty to inform states, NY is not one of them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Old_Hunter said:

Technically no. In New York that’s considered an illegal transfer. Unless the handgun is registered to you, you cannot touch it. 

Yes that is generally true however if you are at a range and receiving instruction from an instructor it is legal. The safety class I had to take to get my permit had a live fire section. The class is supported by the Fulton County Sheriff. Other counties may be different. In addition every gun shop I have ever been in has always just handed over anything I wanted to look at and not once asked to see if I had a permit.

That being said I have let many people shoot my handguns at the range I belong to. I'm a certified RSO so if there were ever any questions which is highly unlikely I believe it would be GTG.

Shooting on private property is another story but as long as you don't do anything stupid to make law enforcement show up it should be fine.

• Agree 1