Cons are its a shotgun and they can penatrate interior walls and injure someone on the other side. If you live alone in a single family home this may not be a problem but if you have family members in the home you might want to consider an AR instead 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Cons are its a shotgun and they can penatrate interior walls and injure someone on the other side. If you live alone in a single family home this may not be a problem but if you have family members in the home you might want to consider an AR instead 

What do you think about Maverick Arms 88 Combo for half the price?

16 minutes ago, Zeke said:

No.

It’s a pos

1 hour ago, kc10dave said:

Both are 12g shotguns so its no difference in terms of overpenatration. 

My opinion If a Maverick 88 is its a decent cheap shotgun but if I were looking for a defense shotgun I would poney up a few more bucks and get a Mossberg 500 or a 590. Do you want to trust your life with a cheap gun?  I also do not like where the safety is on the 88, I prefer tang safety shotguns. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, fishnut said:

but if you have family members in the home you might want to consider an AR instead 

Another thing against a pump action shotgun for a primary HD: Can female family members handle a pump shotgun.  

For a primary HD weapon you want something high capacity (10+1 RD in N.J.), able to be operated with one hand, and easy for female shooters to use if necessary. Pump shotgun doesn't fit the bill. 

The recent riots show they're armed and come in numbers, so time for a serious re-assessment regarding HD weapons IMO.

Same goes for home invasions, almost always multiple attackers.   

• Thanks 1

Is this your first and only gun?  

My ex-coworker friend was completely inexperienced with guns, and through his internet research, he came up with the idea that the KSG would be perfect for home defense... I disabused him of that notion extremely quick when he actually held and shot one.  It's heavy, it's not easy to manipulate without practice/experience, and it's got heavy recoil.  This was with him shooting light target rounds.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, brucin said:

Where god intended it to be.

"I prefer tang safety shotguns."

Said Winchester, Remington, Ithaca, High Standard, Beretta, Marlin, Benelli......................never. 

Except of course on doubles! :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, kc10dave said:

Better choice. 
google keltec hand..

newbies should stick to the tried an true round wheel.  If you enjoy this hobby and constitutional right.. you’ll buy more guns n stuff. 

Make friends here and try there stuff before you buy. Mostly good people here 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bomber said:

Another thing against a pump action shotgun for a primary HD: Can female family members handle a pump shotgun........able to be operated with one hand, and easy for female shooters to use if necessary. Pump shotgun doesn't fit the bill.

So I have to wonder with those criteria  what “fits the bill” in your opinion? .....a .22 revolver?:sarcastic:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Better choice. 
google keltec hand..

newbies should stick to the tried an true round wheel.  If you enjoy this hobby and constitutional right.. you’ll buy more guns n stuff. 

Make friends here and try there stuff before you buy. Mostly good people here 

You told them to google it, but didn't give them a NSFW warning... And also then subsequently posted it.

Don't post stuff that here.  Not everyone wants to see it.

• Thanks 1

Threads like this are always good for spirited debate on what's "the best" gun for home defense.

I'll submit that the best gun is the one you can get to before the bad guy gets a chance to hurt you/your family.  Depending on when/where you encounter said bad guy could mean that "the best" gun isn't available, so you'll have to rock whatever you can .

I really like my KSG and have cycled many hundreds of rounds through it, so I have no issues if it's the first thing in my hands when something goes bump.  If I'm startled from my sleep the closest gun is a 9mm pistol (with light) which i think would serve me fine.  If I'm passing by the gun safe on the way to a bad guy (and time permits) I may holster the pistol and pick up something chambered in .223/5.56.

The if/then statements beyond that could get entertaining, but my point is that I don't have a particular kind of gun designated for "home defense" with several of them staged around the place.  I have guns in different places that can access as needed.

Rock what you got.  If you only have one gun in the house, get more...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Threads like this are always good for spirited debate on what's "the best" gun for home defense.

I'll submit that the best gun is the one you can get to before the bad guy gets a chance to hurt you/your family.  Depending on when/where you encounter said bad guy could mean that "the best" gun isn't available, so you'll have to rock whatever you can .

I really like my KSG and have cycled many hundreds of rounds through it, so I have no issues if it's the first thing in my hands when something goes bump.  If I'm startled from my sleep the closest gun is a 9mm pistol (with light) which i think would serve me fine.  If I'm passing by the gun safe on the way to a bad guy (and time permits) I may holster the pistol and pick up something chambered in .223/5.56.

The if/then statements beyond that could get entertaining, but my point is that I don't have a particular kind of gun designated for "home defense" with several of them staged around the place.  I have guns in different places that can access as needed.

Rock what you got.  If you only have one gun in the house, get more...

I agree that the "best" gun s the one you have when you need it. I love shotguns for HD. I keep the following ready in various places in my house: Benelli M1S90, AR, AR pistol (300 BLK), 1911 (2), and Glock 19 loaded and ready to go for HD. I trust my skills with the Benelli in a HD situation, but will use whichever one is handy when I need it. I have trained lot with shotguns and know what I can do with them with them. Shotguns are devastating weapons when used correctly.

All of my HD guns have lights on them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm a big fan of liking what you shoot. If you are buying a gun and hate to shoot it then you will have to force yourself to practice and train with it. If the gun is reliable and the ammo is reliable the lion's share of what's left is you.

So pick a gun you will enjoy that you will want to take to the range and put rounds through. If a keltec speaks to you, I'd say try to find one to rent and fire it. If you are still into it after an hour of putting shells down range, then go for it. 

Things are weird right now and I think people are sometimes buying guns thinking the "best" or "ideal" gun will do the work for them. I don't think that's the case.

An AR15 is the best home defense weapon for the generic gun user, on paper it's the top choice. However, if you dont ever use it and go to the range with the keltec, in the horrible situation that you do need to defend yourself and your loved ones the "best" gun for home defense will be your keltec simply because you will "know" where the controls are and your muscle memory will have you shouldering the gun where it needs to go.

2 hours ago, CF1782 said:

An AR15 is the best home defense weapon for the generic gun user, on paper it's the top choice. 

3 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

I think the Kenosha riots settled the "best" HD weapon argument as far as I'm concerned

One kid with an AR scatters a swarming angry mob while being attacked on the ground- Case closed

1 hour ago, Bomber said:

I think the Kenosha riots settled the "best" HD weapon argument as far as I'm concerned

One kid with an AR scatters a swarming angry mob while being attacked on the ground- Case closed

Respectfully, referencing an urban combat scenario doesn't really support a "case closed" home defense argument.

23 hours ago, fishnut said:

So you are saying an AR (5.56 or .223) would have less penetration than a Shotgun?

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

So you are saying an AR (5.56 or .223) would have less penetration than a Shotgun?

A proper .223/5.56 round (soft point) has been tested to penetrate fewer interior walls, whereas buckshot/slugs will continue through.

2 hours ago, Bomber said:

My point was more that if that one kid didn't know where the safety was and got beaten to death by a skateboard that is not an indictment of the firearm, it's that the safety was still engaged and the operator did not know how to use the firearm properly. 

The best firearm is the one when you are shaking from adrenaline you can depend on the time you put in to get you through. You can have the best case closed twice on Sunday super awesome death ray extreme with all the best stuff on it and if you dont know how to use it... it's the best gun that your attacker will have. 

If the OP wants to put the time in on an AR assuming he can find one, great. If he just wants to buy one and stick it in his closet that it's an AR will not give it magical self wielding powers. It will be as useful as the operator as accurate as the operator, and if he doesn't know cold where that safety is and how to disengage it when his hands shake I think we can agree that an AR is not the best cudgel for home defense 

1 hour ago, 124gr9mm said:

Respectfully, referencing an urban combat scenario doesn't really support a "case closed" home defense argument.

Multiple attackers at close quarters can happen in HD situations, not much different from urban combat

How about best home defense rifle.

• Like 1