1 hour ago, JT Custom Guns said:

So you are saying an AR (5.56 or .223) would have less penetration than a Shotgun?

53 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

A proper .223/5.56 round (soft point) has been tested to penetrate fewer interior walls, whereas buckshot/slugs will continue through.

This isn’t quite accurate, but it is a rough interpretation of the data.

.223/5.56 rounds tend to lose velocity faster and break up into smaller pieces after passing through common US building materials. Whereas handgun and buckshot/slugs tend to retain much of their mass and velocity after passing through the same barriers.

As such, wounds from smaller, lighter and slower tend to be more survivable than those from bigger, heavier, and faster; ergo - AR rounds are considered a “safer” choice than shotgun or pistol rounds CONUS for use while FISHing.

Realistically, a round from any firearm chambered in a defensive round has the potential to kill someone after passing through modern US construction materials. The AR rounds just tend to lose some of their “lethality” faster.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 1

14 hours ago, JT Custom Guns said:

So you are saying an AR (5.56 or .223) would have less penetration than a Shotgun?

Depending on the ammo type used, YES:

https://how-i-did-it.org/drywall/results.html

Winchester Ranger 64g Power-Point (Soft point .223 ammo):

Penetrated 1st "wall" of drywall, 2nd wall of drywall had fragments embedded but no total penetration, 3rd wall of drywall untouched

Winchester 12-Gauge 00 Buckshot:

Penetrated all 3 "walls" of drywall

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/12/2020 at 9:56 PM, kc10dave said:

Is the "Kel Tec KSG" a good home defense shotgun?  Personal experience Pros & Cons please.  Thanks

Back to the original question:

I have one, have had it for a couple of years.

I like it, I don't regret buying it, and I have fun shooting it.  Come out to a shotgun shoot and you'll likely see me shooting clays with it.

It is *NOT* my choice for a HD weapon.

Yes, it's compact and light, yes it's got impressive ammo capacity (14 rds if using "normal" shells, 20+ if using mini shells).

There's a downside to each of those attributes.

Because it's so short, the muzzle end is essentially even with your support hand at the end of the pump motion.  That's dangerous.  You have to ensure you have a SOLID forward grip or loop.  You can find stories of people shooting their support hand accidentally with the KSG.

Because it's light, perceived recoil is much stouter.  I tried some turkey loads in it once.  ONCE.  Not pleasant.  Depending on your body mass you may find that 00 buckshot rings your bell considerably more than a larger shotgun.

14 shotshell capacity is a lot, but it comes with the price of multiple magazine tube administration.  There are 2 separate magazine tubes.  You have to switch between them.  If you run one tube dry, you have to switch to the other tube *BEFORE* you eject the last shell from the first tube, or else you're going to get a "click" the next time you pull the trigger.  If (heaven forbid) you get into a situation where you have to fire more than 7 rounds under duress are you going to remember to hit that tube switch immediately after firing, and before ejecting, round #7?

Oh BTW, that magazine tube switch has a "neutral" position that doesn't allow *EITHER* of the tubes to dispense shells.  Yup, you guessed it, the neutral position is in the middle of the left and right tube positions.  Hope the switch doesn't ever get set there accidentally when you don't want it to be.

The ejection port and the magazine tube heads are in the same space at the bottom of the gun.  It is quite difficult to load a shell into a tube while keeping the gun in a firing posture; to do so, you not only have to push a shell upwards into the bottom of the gun at an awkward vertical angle, but you also have to angle it horizontally to the left or right to go into the correct tube (unless you ran both tubes empty).  Do you remember which tube you were firing from?  Got to load to that same tube...  I've given up trying to load the KSG while shouldered - I flip it upside down to load it, and loading is much slower compared to a conventional shotgun.

Another annoyance is the shell keepers at the mouth of each magazine tube - they have a sharp corner that tends to catch and grab the fabric of glove fingers when I wear gloves.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2020 at 12:03 AM, Gabesdad said:

I have a Fear 109 Bullpup I use for HD.  I have 2 AR12 magazines at the ready, one with slugs, the other buck.  Firing 00 buck I find kicks the crap out of you.  But she sure is fun to shoot.  

You may want to periodically check any shotshells that you have loaded inside mags for long periods of time - it's possible for the shotshells to get ovalized from the magazine spring pressure to the point where they won't chamber.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

You may want to periodically check any shotshells that you have loaded inside mags for long periods of time - it's possible for the shotshells to get ovalized from the magazine spring pressure to the point where they won't chamber.

Thanks DirtyDigz.  Have a lot of experience with other weapons, but none with a shotgun.  I never thought of that.  Should I change out the ammo every other week? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gabesdad said:

Thanks DirtyDigz.  Have a lot of experience with other weapons, but none with a shotgun.  I never thought of that.  Should I change out the ammo every other week? 

Dunno, don't have any direct experience with shotgun magazines.  Depends how "squishy" your shotshells are, I guess.

Did find this discussion from elsewhere though:

https://www.vepr.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5870

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

I agree with this.  I have found Federal Flight Control 12GA seems to leak buffer material after staying in a loaded tube for a long time. This is probably due to the fact that the other shells I use in my HD guns don't have any shot buffer in the shell. I haven't had an any feeding issues but there is definitely some stress on the shells.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 4:00 PM, JC_68Westy said:

I agree with this.  I have found Federal Flight Control 12GA seems to leak buffer material after staying in a loaded tube for a long time. This is probably due to the fact that the other shells I use in my HD guns don't have any shot buffer in the shell. I haven't had an any feeding issues but there is definitely some stress on the shells.

Try a drop of clear nail polish at the center of each crimp. It will prevent shot buffer from escaping. The same reason that stuff infiltrates all the nooks and crannies when it goes in the shell during the load process is the same reason it leaks out of every tiny orifice when rattling around in the gun or in your pockets. 

I do this with any reloads I make when I add buffering to the mix of shot, be it buckshot or turkey loads. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1