S&W39

Magazine Restrictions

There’s pistol I’m interested in but , it’s difficult to locate one on line that ships with 10 round magazines. However the 10 round version does exist but these dealers  inflate the overall price by about $150 for the 10 rounders. Most dealers won’t deal with compliant states, although I thought NJ FFLs can except higher capacity mags and then plug them for a fee. One dealer said he would discount the pistol a little and ship without mags but, that makes no sense because the discount hardly covers the cost of 3 mags that would have shipped originally. Besides telling me to move, how have some of you fellow shooters dealt with this? 

NJ FFLs can order pistols equipped with magazines over 10 rounds. The FFLs can then sell them online, or ship them to a buyer out of state, or ship them to someone you know who can hold or dispose of them for you. You acquire the necessary 10-round magazines.

Of course it will cost you money to make this worth your FFL's time.

All good suggestions , however the only issue is the only place I’ve seen this pistol is on Gunbroker. Online retailers have very little inventory. I already asked a small FFL that I use but he was not too hot on the idea of going through Gunbroker  etc. Possibly I can ask some dealers if they would swap out the high capacity mags for 10 rounders that’s if they even stock them most people in free states want higher capacity.

4 minutes ago, brucin said:

All people in free states want standard capacity.

This.  Standard capacity is what the manufacturer designed the gun to work with, and what the gun typically ships with by default.  There is no other possible definition of 'standard'.  So standard capacity for an AR is 30 rounds.   For a Glock 17, it's 17 rounds.   Anything less than what the manufacturer intended is reduced capacity.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

In New Jersey we are now down to 10 rounds. It would be funny...or not so funny to us if they decrease the capacity to 5 rounds. Thats is going to invalidate most handguns until they start manufacturing 5 rounders.  He who controls the ammo controls the guns.

1 hour ago, antiriad said:

In New Jersey we are now down to 10 rounds. It would be funny...or not so funny to us if they decrease the capacity to 5 rounds.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that legislation is already written, and sitting in the on-deck area, waiting for the right crisis, so it can be signed into law.

....."This bill revises the definition of “large capacity ammunition magazine” to reduce the number of rounds of ammunition a legal magazine may hold in this State.

Under current law, it is unlawful to own or possess an ammunition magazine that is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition.

This bill would reduce the maximum capacity of a legal ammunition magazine in New Jersey to five rounds."

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/A1000/655_I1.HTM

On 9/14/2020 at 10:07 AM, S&W39 said:

There’s pistol I’m interested in but , it’s difficult to locate one on line that ships with 10 round magazines. However the 10 round version does exist but these dealers  inflate the overall price by about $150 for the 10 rounders. Most dealers won’t deal with compliant states, although I thought NJ FFLs can except higher capacity mags and then plug them for a fee. One dealer said he would discount the pistol a little and ship without mags but, that makes no sense because the discount hardly covers the cost of 3 mags that would have shipped originally. Besides telling me to move, how have some of you fellow shooters dealt with this? 

On 9/14/2020 at 10:53 AM, S&W39 said:

All good suggestions , however the only issue is the only place I’ve seen this pistol is on Gunbroker. Online retailers have very little inventory. I already asked a small FFL that I use but he was not too hot on the idea of going through Gunbroker  etc. Possibly I can ask some dealers if they would swap out the high capacity mags for 10 rounders that’s if they even stock them most people in free states want higher capacity.

Some dealers won't ship to NJ no matter where you get it.

If your ffl is not interested in assisting you in your search and or via gunbroker...find another.

YOU, can buy on gunbroker yourself....

:)

what gun?

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Sniper said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that legislation is already written, and sitting in the on-deck area, waiting for the right crisis, so it can be signed into law.

....."This bill revises the definition of “large capacity ammunition magazine” to reduce the number of rounds of ammunition a legal magazine may hold in this State.

Under current law, it is unlawful to own or possess an ammunition magazine that is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition.

This bill would reduce the maximum capacity of a legal ammunition magazine in New Jersey to five rounds."

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/A1000/655_I1.HTM

I am assuming this was written before they passed the 10 round restriction? Didn't they change it in September 2018?

3 hours ago, antiriad said:

I am assuming this was written before they passed the 10 round restriction? Didn't they change it in September 2018?

Yeah, they pre-write them at different amounts, then test the water to see what they think they can ram through. If we get another mass shooting in the state, I expect them to run this 5 round mag Bill to the floor for a vote.

1 hour ago, CMJeepster said:

And not one magazine was turned in...

Yep. I remember that also. I guess people are realizing the BS. But if for one reason or another they pass the 5 mag capacity it would be very expensive to have custom magazines for 5 rounds for handguns. They will be with be very expensive or they wont even bother making them just for NJ. I don't think there are no states that had 5 round limit for mags.

7 minutes ago, antiriad said:

But if for one reason or another they pass the 5 mag capacity it would be very expensive to have custom magazines for 5 rounds for handguns. They will be with be very expensive or they wont even bother making them just for NJ.

The solution is mag blockers for existing mags, instead of buying new 5 rounders. Many people did that with the 15 to 10 round change.

7 minutes ago, antiriad said:

I don't think there are no states that had 5 round limit for mags.

That will be Murphy's "hold my beer" moment.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

Bunch of BS but what exctly is the "grandfathered assault weapon" term mentioned in the Website?

"Registered" is not a term I like since if you "Register" they know which door to knock first.

9 minutes ago, antiriad said:

Bunch of BS but what exctly is the "grandfathered assault weapon" term mentioned in the Website?

"Registered" is not a term I like since if you "Register" they know which door to kick first.

FIFY

28 minutes ago, antiriad said:

"Registered" is not a term I like since if you "Register" they know which door to knock first.

I'm not endorsing the source, just posted the link because it came up quick.

BTW. Do you remember sometime last year in CA where there was a judge holdup regarding the high capacity magazines and all these people were rushing to get high caps for 2 weeks? 

Were they gradfathered in afterwards or they are all illegal after the 2 weeks passed?

5 minutes ago, antiriad said:

BTW. Do you remember sometime last year in CA where there was a judge holdup regarding the high capacity magazines and all these people were rushing to get high caps for 2 weeks? 

Were they gradfathered in afterwards or they are all illegal after the 2 weeks passed?

Not sure how that turned out.  I doubt anyone there destroyed, surrendered or modified them though.