silverado427

Murphy and the Dems agree to millionaire's tax.

John Rich getting upset (as a business owner, as well as part of the music scene) is classic.

To paraphrase.." This mayor is well educated, so I'm sure he will understand 4 simple words...CLASS         ACTION    LAW      SUIT"

I always considered lawsuit as one word, but he made his point.

I can't stand country music myself, but all in all, country singers seem to have their wits about them, not to mention writing their own music and playing their actual instruments.

You all seem pretty concerned over the proposed Millionaire's Tax, something that will have little direct effect on any of us (unless there are a lot of closet millionaires on here). I'd be a hell of a lot more concerned about the proposed firearm permit charge increases, which I believe are part and parcel of the same bill.

I hope that ANJRPC has their injunction ready to file the minute Murphy signs this POS bill.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

You all seem pretty concerned over the proposed Millionaire's Tax, something that will have little direct effect on any of us (unless there are a lot of closet millionaires on here). I'd be a hell of a lot more concerned about the proposed firearm permit charge increases, which I believe are part and parcel of the same bill.

The extra cost for permits will be chump change, compared to the increase of other taxes when additional wealthy people leave the state, because of new income taxes. Even if the percentage of them is low, they pay the BULK of the taxes, as a percentage in the state. That slack will have to be picked up by ALL.

Murphy was on the media this morning and said the average property tax in the state is $9K. Paying additional property taxes (among others) will far exceed the amount the normal person pays for gun permits.

6 minutes ago, Sniper said:

The extra cost for permits will be chump change, compared to the increase of other taxes when additional wealthy people leave the state, because of new income taxes. Even if the percentage of them is low, they pay the BULK of the taxes, as a percentage in the state. That slack will have to be picked up by ALL..

That may be but it will be some time before that is even noticed and the increases will be incremental. (remember the story of how to cook a live frog?)

The increases on the firearm permits are HUGE and will affect us RIGHT NOW. This is nothing more than having to pay to exercise our constitutional rights. The case for fees, with regard to firearms permits, was based on what it cost administratively to issue the permits. This exceeds that exponentially and is nothing more than poorly-disguised gun control. Our only hope is that ANJRPC (or like) will file an injunction halting implementation of the ENTIRE bill, meaning Murphy will be denied his fat money grab, which may serve as motivation to delete the firearm permits parts of the bill.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob, the reason it's an issue is that we've got corporations leaving due to high taxes and once you start taxing those with the means to move/relocate/adjust tax structure to make up budget shortfalls, those shortfalls will trickle down and we will have to pay them.  If even 10% of the top 1% leave it leaves a huge hole

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

Bob, the reason it's an issue is that we've got corporations leaving due to high taxes and once you start taxing those with the means to move/relocate/adjust tax structure to make up budget shortfalls, those shortfalls will trickle down and we will have to pay them.  If even 10% of the top 1% leave it leaves a huge hole

I understand the economics of what he proposes - I'm just saying we should be more concerned, at this point, about the immediate effects to our community rather than the long term effects on the state as a whole.

We are also dealing with a denial of our constitutional rights as opposed to just a skewed democratic economic plan.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

I understand the economics of what he proposes - I'm just saying we should be more concerned, at this point, about the immediate effects to our community rather than the long term effects on the state as a whole.

I get what you're saying, but in the case of dollars and cents, when you're buying a multi-hundred dollar firearm, the additional permit cost isn't a big issue. Anyone following along here should have already secured what they NEED years ago. Now, buying some additional WANTS is another issue.

In reality, how many guns does the average person buy a year, versus us getting hammered with higher property taxes and higher sales taxes, etc.? And these other taxes CONTINUE, year after year.

11 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

We are also dealing with a denial of our constitutional rights as opposed to just a skewed democratic economic plan.

I get that too, we shouldn't have to pay anything for a constitutional right, but the communists in this state have won. The time to deal with these unconstitutional laws was many years ago, but very few stepped up to push back. Kitchen cuisine is more important. You're seeing the effect now... Only option left is to move to a FREE state, like the millionaires have/will.

1 hour ago, Pizza Bob said:

Our only hope is that ANJRPC (or like) will file an injunction halting implementation of the ENTIRE bill, meaning Murphy will be denied his fat money grab, which may serve as motivation to delete the firearm permits parts of the bill.

What positive movement towards supporting 2A rights has there been in NJ (not federally) in the past 10 years?

Has it become net easier or net harder to exercise your rights?  Last 20 years?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Greenday said:

But only if you have a child. Apparently the childless can go fuck themselves

All kidding aside, Greenday's statement is a fair one. Childless people - both singles and couples - not only get whacked with paying a huge percentage of their taxes for schooling everyone else's kids, but now they will get shafted on a tax rebate, too? That's not exactly fair. It also irks me that elderly people, who are often hardest hit financially due to their fixed incomes and naturally escalating healthcare costs, are also left out of this calculation. Admittedly, what I know about taxes could fit in a thimble. That said, the more I see all the convoluted, kooky tax strategies that arise over the years at both the state and Federal level, the more attracted I have become to a drastically simplified tax system with a "flat tax" and no loopholes.

3 hours ago, Sniper said:

I get what you're saying, but in the case of dollars and cents, when you're buying a multi-hundred dollar firearm, the additional permit cost isn't a big issue. Anyone following along here should have already secured what they NEED years ago. Now, buying some additional WANTS is another issue.

Don't forget, you're speaking from the perspective of a mature gun owner who already did his purchasing in years past. What about noobs? This huge jack-up in price will do little to fill the coffers in Trenton, but it will do a LOT to discourage new gun ownership - frankly, I believe that's its primary and quite nefarious purpose. So, @Pizza Bob also makes a good point - in that I too hope ANJRPC is all over it.

No one is missing the point of increased fees, we have had an open thread on it since news broke about it. 

I do appreciate the clarity that its part of this bill. However, my hopes are... and really just hopes because the state doesnt listen.. is that they will remove it from consideration as in the past. They don't serve to gain much money from it, certainly not enough knowing they will be sued over it... but their stupidity has never shocked me.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Don't forget, you're speaking from the perspective of a mature gun owner who already did his purchasing in years past.

@Pizza Bob is still purchasing!  I went by the township building the other day.  They gave him his own parking spot right outside of the P.D.!

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

when do the fee increases take effect

That's a good question... the state budget needs to be in place by Oct. 1... so does that mean the permit increase happens effective the same date? I'm not sure, just a guess.

1 minute ago, Mrs. Peel said:

That's a good question... the state budget needs to be in place by Oct. 1... so does that mean the permit increase happens effective the same date? I'm not sure, just a guess.

I'm going down Monday for permits!  thanks

Hey, folks... this is in General Discussion. It's easy to forget which forum we're in. It's an important topic and I'd hate to move it to 1A, so please try not to be too overtly "partisan" or bombastic in your comments. Thank you! :good:

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

No one is missing the point of increased fees, we have had an open thread on it since news broke about it. 

I do appreciate the clarity that its part of this bill. However, my hopes are... and really just hopes because the state doesnt listen.. is that they will remove it from consideration as in the past. They don't serve to gain much money from it, certainly not enough knowing they will be sued over it... 

Its not about the money, just another brick in wall of gun control.  And they don't care about getting sued, the goal is get it signed into law and ask questions later.

Best case scenario, but highly unlikely, the fees are reduced more inline with inflation. Then Murphy comes back next year with renewable FID cards.

If he wins re-election all bets are off, expect a N.J. safe act.

Sorry to be so pessimistic.

2 hours ago, CMJeepster said:

@Pizza Bob is still purchasing!  I went by the township building the other day.  They gave him his own parking spot right outside of the P.D.!

True! It's even got a picture of me sitting down (must be in front of my computer) on a blue background.

How thoughtful of them.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Its not about the money, just another brick in wall of gun control.  And they don't care about getting sued, the goal is get it signed into law and ask questions later.

Best case scenario, but highly unlikely, the fees are reduced more inline with inflation. Then Murphy comes back next year with renewable FID cards.

If he wins re-election all bets are off, expect a N.J. safe act.

Sorry to be so pessimistic.

Sweeney has been opposing the raise for 2 years now... so we will see.

These people aren't as dumb as you think and they know there is a tipping point. 

2 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Sweeney has been opposing the raise for 2 years now... so we will see.

These people aren't as dumb as you think and they know there is a tipping point. 

Oh, I don't think they're dumb. Murphy is the most dangerous governor N.J. has ever seen.

However, I can't see Sweeney bucking Murphy at this point, they're probably amazed at what he's gotten away with the last six months IMO.

The mail-in voting is the whole ball game (along with their other changes to voting eligibility;, parolees. illegal aliens, etc).

If N.J. Dems win big in November tipping points will be irrelevant.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

All kidding aside, Greenday's statement is a fair one. Childless people - both singles and couples - not only get whacked with paying a huge percentage of their taxes for schooling everyone else's kids, but now they will get shafted on a tax rebate, too? That's not exactly fair. It also irks me that elderly people, who are often hardest hit financially due to their fixed incomes and naturally escalating healthcare costs, are also left out of this calculation. Admittedly, what I know about taxes could fit in a thimble.

What about the other group being left out if they have no kids, couples making over $150K? They are the ones paying a big chunk of taxes INTO the system, and they are getting screwed too. Making $150K and living in NJ isn't considered wealthy.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Sniper said:

What about the other group being left out if they have no kids, couples making over $150K? They are the ones paying a big chunk of taxes INTO the system, and they are getting screwed too. Making $150K and living in NJ isn't considered wealthy.

Well, as said, I'm a "flat tax" proponent. I think all of these special programs hurt more than they help on a number of fronts. And it's not only people with no kids either, just those with no "dependent" kids. It's just dividing people into little tribes - some get special handouts based on arbitrary red lines, some don't. The whole thing feels ridiculous to me... especially when the "benefit" is ultimately pretty paltry anyway.

• Agree 1

On 9/18/2020 at 9:49 AM, antiriad said:

It more has to do an issue I had with NJ DoL. They wanted me to pay some money back. I went thru a Review board tribunual. I won the tribunual and the decision was that I owe nothing howerver NJ DoL are STILL sending me bills to repay the money. I am just trying to tell them that no money is owned. 

With all the Sh!t going on with the Unemployment in the state they could be swamped but it bothers me I cannot even talk to a person. There are 20-30k new NJ unemployed every week.

DoL is very much totally FUBAR due to the unemployment stuff. If you want to talk to a human you have to be prepared to make a day of it, and odds are that human won't know what the hell to do with you. Though you'd probably make that person's day as you aren't asking about benefits and where they are. 

On 9/17/2020 at 3:45 PM, Sniper said:

...."Murphy’s administration is estimating this will bring in $390 million from 16,491 New Jersey residents and 19,128 nonresidents.

Someone making $2 million would pay about $18,000 more in gross income taxes, while someone making $4 million would pay about $71,000 more."

Note to Phil, it costs a lot less than that to hire a mover and LEAVE the state.... Duh..

That's a lot of nonresidents.  I am surprised that the state income tax agreement they have with Pennsylvania hasn't been removed yet.