Malsua

14.4 pounds of brisket

33 minutes ago, Brisco said:

Malsua, flat looks great. Maybe try burnt ends when you do the point?

Thanks!   I will look in it.  I've had that before but I am not really sure how to get there.   I"ll have to research it a bit.

I'm smoking another brisket tomorrow; I picked up a large flat (8.1 lbs) at Costco that looks pretty good--much more uniform thickness than I generally find with the flats.  Trimming (per the Franklin videos), injecting, and marinating tonight, up at 4 am tomorrow to apply the rub (modified Franklin, mostly kosher salt and coarse-ground pepper, but I'm adding a little cayenne), and it should be on the smoker over hickory with a bit of mesquite by 5:30 am.  This time I've got butcher paper for the wrap, and I'm looking forward to it having a better bark as a result.  I'm also allowing two hours for the rest, wrapped, in a cooler.   Now if the cook just cooperates somewhat with the timeline I've laid out...   

Just for fun, I searched on A5 wagyu briskets last night, not because I ever expect to cook one, but because a lot of the top competitive teams rave about them for contests.  The damn things are in the $400-$500 range!

11 minutes ago, 10X said:

Just for fun, I searched on A5 wagyu briskets last night, not because I ever expect to cook one, but because a lot of the top competitive teams rave about them for contests.  The damn things are in the $400-$500 range!

Have you seen these?

https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-beef/brisket.html

18 minutes ago, 10X said:

I'm smoking another brisket tomorrow; I picked up a large flat (8.1 lbs) at Costco that looks pretty good--much more uniform thickness than I generally find with the flats.  Trimming (per the Franklin videos), injecting, and marinating tonight, up at 4 am tomorrow to apply the rub (modified Franklin, mostly kosher salt and coarse-ground pepper, but I'm adding a little cayenne), and it should be on the smoker over hickory with a bit of mesquite by 5:30 am.  This time I've got butcher paper for the wrap, and I'm looking forward to it having a better bark as a result.  I'm also allowing two hours for the rest, wrapped, in a cooler.   Now if the cook just cooperates somewhat with the timeline I've laid out...   

Sounds great, I'll bring the beer, what times dinner?

6 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

I did...the american version is certainly more affordable than the A5 Wagyu, but I think I'll be continuing to get my briskets at Costco.

I grew up kinda near some of the ranches now in the Snake River Farms coop...I wonder if they offer a 'former neighbor' discount?

2 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Sounds great, I'll bring the beer, what times dinner?

Targeting 7 pm, but you never really know with BBQ.   Sometimes you end up having to drink a lot longer than expected before the meat is done.  :D

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, 10X said:

What kind of cooker?

What temp?

My last 5-6 pounder was 10 hours at 225 with half hour in there at 250.   Grate temp was running about 10-15 degrees over the grill temp.  Ended up with almost 4 hours of rest just because of eating time.  Would have preferred 2 hours, but it seems to not have mattered much.

Also, if you watch mad scientist bbq on youtube.  He did an A5 brisket.   Was good but it wasn't anywhere near as good as he expected it to be and he had nearly 1k in the thing.

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

What kind of cooker?

What temp?

My last 5-6 pounder was 10 hours at 225 with half hour in there at 250.   Grate temp was running about 10-15 degrees over the grill temp.  Ended up with almost 4 hours of rest just because of eating time.  Would have preferred 2 hours, but it seems to not have mattered much.

Also, if you watch mad scientist bbq on youtube.  He did an A5 brisket.   Was good but it wasn't anywhere near as good as he expected it to be and he had nearly 1k in the thing.

I'm going to target 240 degrees, and adjust if necessary about the time I wrap it.  I'm using the mid-size Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker.  Doing another batch of ABTs as an appetizer; folks can't get enough of those.

It's funny, I watched a different Mad Scientist brisket video on Youtube last night.  That one linked to the A5 wagyu video, but I didn't watch that one--I figured there was no point in torturing myself.

On 9/20/2020 at 7:10 AM, Malsua said:

Ok, ok, had to take some over to the neighbor.

I had a bit of a change in plans.  The wife did not want me to make the entire packer, so I ended up cutting off the flat.  Roughly 5 lbs trimmed.

I trimmed it at 7pm.   Rub is light layer of mustard as a binder.  Maple BBQ rub and kosher salt with course ground black pepper

Wrapped in saran wrap, went to bed later.

Got up at 3:55, fired up the pellet smoker at 225, waited until the temp stabilized.   Added my smoke tube.  Using applewood pellets.

Brisket went on at 4:15.   I know others do it by feel, I'm not that confident, so I stuck my temp probe in.

At 6:15 I spritzed with apple cider vinegar.

At 8, I also spritzed.

At 8:30 it hit 160.    Wrapped in butcher paper.

About 1pm it was still stalled at 171 so I turned up the temp to 250.

At 1:20 PM, it was 178, now I'm worried.  Lol.  I turned it back down to 225.

At 2:15, it came off hitting 203.

I put into a cooler, still wrapped with temp probe still in for rest.  At 4:30, it was at 160.  I put in oven at 163 to hold temp until 6pm chow.

At 6, I carved.

Moist, tasty, juicy!   Wonderful.  Great bark, nice smoke ring.   As good of a flat as one can expect!.

The foil is simply because I had already put it away.  Wife and I ate, I also gave the neighbors some too.  I took back out of fridge for picture. 

brisket9-19-1.jpg

brisket9-19-2.jpg

Nice flex, good ring. I'd prefer a bit more bark. But that's just me...looks freaking great. And I use mustard as binder on mine as well. Honestly, I'd slap someone for a few slices...

3 hours ago, TurnpikeTed said:

Nice flex, good ring. I'd prefer a bit more bark. But that's just me...looks freaking great. And I use mustard as binder on mine as well. Honestly, I'd slap someone for a few slices...

Thanks!

Welcome, specially to someone who appreciates BBQ.

My BBQ is a work in progress.  I use a pellet smoker with a smoke tube.   I stuff firewood into an insert all winter and have been doing so for a quarter century.   I know how finicky wood is, no way am I willing to micro manage a fire for BBQ!  

That said, I'm still chasing the dragon.  I want to get as close to Lockhart smokehouse as I can.  I know I won't get there, but close is enough.

I'm going to do the point this weekend.   I had frozen it back when I did this and I took it out of the freezer last night. It's going to take a couple days of thawing in the fridge so that it's ready for an Early Saturday AM cook.

The weather is supposed to be decent, and it may be one of my last cooks of the year. 

7 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Yeah baby!!!! Nice job. 

Thanks.  I'm getting this dialed in.   I need to play with the rubs a bit more, but this maple BBQ is about the limit since my wife can't eat even slightly spicy.

The point was really moist.  I took it out of the freezer on Tuesday and last night, I had to let it sit out for a few hours after I trimmed.  When I jammed the temp probe in there this morning, it was 33 degrees in the center!   It came off that pretty quick, even at the 150-160 during the first 45 minutes on "SMOKE". 

12 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Brisket tacos, with avocado, chipotle aioli, and pickled onions. 

They were tasty. 

29BFA35E-1650-4CD1-AD39-1E6E9110958C.jpeg

Nice,  I should do that next time.   I'm probably done smoking this year unless I get a smoker in Florida.

5 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

I used to respect you, man!

Hey, I was gonna make a spicy chipotle slaw to top the tacos, but the slaw mix looked a little soggy. Mrs Tex suggested avocado. 
Not a fan? 

I took advantage of the great weather today and fired up the smoker.  I'd been looking for an uncured ham for a long time--still haven't found a local source--but instead I found an interesting recipe for smoking a cured ham.   

I started with an 11 lb butt half, coated it in a maple syrup/bourbon/honey dijon/pepper/paprika paste overnight, threw it on the smoker over hickory wood, mopped every hour with more syrup/bourbon/mustard, than glazed in the last hour with a similar concoction.   I smoked pig candy (bacon strips coated with BBQ rub, maple syrup, and brown sugar) as an appetizer, and served with butter/brown sugar/pecan hasselback sweet potatoes as a side.     Turned out pretty good!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 10X said:

I took advantage of the great weather today and fired up the smoker.  I'd been looking for an uncured ham for a long time--still haven't found a local source--but instead I found an interesting recipe for smoking a cured ham.   

I started with an 11 lb butt half, coated it in a maple syrup/bourbon/honey dijon/pepper/paprika paste overnight, threw it on the smoker over hickory wood, mopped every hour with more syrup/bourbon/mustard, than glazed in the last hour with a similar concoction.   I smoked pig candy (bacon strips coated with BBQ rub, maple syrup, and brown sugar) as an appetizer, and served with butter/brown sugar/pecan hasselback sweet potatoes as a side.     Turned out pretty good!

That sounds pretty good!   I've found little uncured hams, but nothing like a full spiral cut.   I'll have to look into it.

This week, my Acme had beef ribs on sale, so I get there and there's one package.  So I ended up buying the short ribs.

3 hours at 185-225 with smoke tube.

Then I put the short ribs in a foil bed, in a deep baking tray.   I poured an entire can of beef broth in there, put some brown sugar on top with some Honey BBQ.   I sealed the foil bed tightly.

I put in the oven at 275 and let that go for about 3 hours.

They fell off the bone and were fantastic.

• Like 1

Smoking this Chuck Roast tomorrow.

6.75lbs.

I figure it's going to be 9ish hours on the smoker and a couple hours rest.

I plan to cook it on the grate until it hits 165 then put in a pan with some onions and beef broth until it finishes 203.

Pulled Beef on hamburger buns.  

Smoking with Oak/Cherry/Maple mix.  It's what Home Depot had.  I wanted pure oak, no go.

chuckroast1.jpg

24 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Smoking this Chuck Roast tomorrow.

6.75lbs.

I figure it's going to be 9ish hours on the smoker and a couple hours rest.

I plan to cook it on the grate until it hits 165 then put in a pan with some onions and beef broth until it finishes 203.

Pulled Beef on hamburger buns.  

Smoking with Oak/Cherry/Maple mix.  It's what Home Depot had.  I wanted pure oak, no go.

chuckroast1.jpg

Man, I need to try doing that. Please keep us posted!! 

I’ve got a rack of St.Louis style ribs that are begging me to throw them on the smoker. Maybe that will be a post Thanksgiving project! 

On 11/20/2020 at 7:15 PM, Displaced Texan said:

Man, I need to try doing that. Please keep us posted!! 

I’ve got a rack of St.Louis style ribs that are begging me to throw them on the smoker. Maybe that will be a post Thanksgiving project! 

It came out great.

I did  a video.  I've been doing these lately.  If nothing else, it is a good track of how I cooked something.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brisco said:

Nice video, have the same meat thermometer, same smoke tube. 

Been ordering my pellets on amazon, my local box stores never have cherry pellets (My favorite for ribs)

I like the remote probe, just because I can sit at my computer and get the temp.

I've bought pellets on Amazon and at Home Depot.  I was looking for some Oak for this particular cook and got the Home Depot blend they carry with Oak, Maple and Cherry.  It came about pretty good.