Malsua

14.4 pounds of brisket

Nice!  Should be awesome!

I’ve got two packer briskets in the freezer now; one Prime.  Waiting until later in the spring/summer to smoke them.  

5 hours ago, 10X said:

Nice!  Should be awesome!

I’ve got two packer briskets in the freezer now; one Prime.  Waiting until later in the spring/summer to smoke them.  

I'm moving my Smoker to Florida in a few weeks, so it's now or never up here.

It'll be nice to do a neighbor hood cook there too though.

2 hours into the cook.  The temp is coming up fast, slow down!  Lol.

I've only got it on 225 and it's holding to that pretty well.

Color looks good, smoke is good.  All good.

I put it on the grill at 4:30.   It was 26 degrees.  I was hoping it'd be like 35.  Sheesh.

brisket1.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

You’ll be fine...it will stall at 165-170° anyway. Let it ride. 

Now I’m thinking about brisket tacos......

So this thing cooked super fast for some reason.  I turned the heat down to 180 and parked it there for 2 hours then turned it back up to 225.  It finished at 3:15.  It's resting.  I'll carve after 6pm.

The Aaron Franklin Crutch sure seems to have worked. I am looking forward to trying it.

The thread title is almost spot-on.

I've got a 14.3 lb brisket that is going on the smoker in a couple of hours.   I trimmed it and injected it (beef broth) early this morning and it has been marinating ever since in beef broth with some cider vinegar, olive oil, garlic, and onion powder.   By 6:30 I'll have it rubbed with a black pepper/kosher salt mix containing also some garlic and onion powders and cayenne.  On smoke over oak/hickory by 7:30 or 8, then begins the long night of babysitting the WSM smoker.   I should be able to pull it to rest by mid-afternoon tomorrow, for an early dinner.

It should be a fine kickoff to the July 4 weekend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 10X said:

The thread title is almost spot-on.

I've got a 14.3 lb brisket that is going on the smoker in a couple of hours.   I trimmed it and injected it (beef broth) early this morning and it has been marinating ever since in beef broth with some cider vinegar, olive oil, garlic, and onion powder.   By 6:30 I'll have it rubbed with a black pepper/kosher salt mix containing also some garlic and onion powders and cayenne.  On smoke over oak/hickory by 7:30 or 8, then begins the long night of babysitting the WSM smoker.   I should be able to pull it to rest by mid-afternoon tomorrow, for an early dinner.

It should be a fine kickoff to the July 4 weekend.

Awesome, sounds great.

Just for what it's worth, I've tweaked a little bit and improved.

I have always wrapped for the rest.   What I was not doing was waiting long enough for the wrap.  I want an internal temp of 185, then wrap with tallow and rest at _LEAST_ 3 hours in a good cooler.  If the internal temp gets below 140, put in oven at 150.   It's critical that you don't wrap too soon, it really has bumped it up a notch in juicy.

It should have time for a couple of hours of resting, insulated, in the cooler--that is a critical step.   I'll likely wrap in butcher paper to get it past the stall, then leave it in the paper when I pull if off the smoker.  The paper leaves the bark in fairly good shape; it can get soft when wrapped in foil.

I'm shooting for a higher pull temp; I've read a number of sources that favor 200 F before taking it off the heat.  

30 minutes ago, 10X said:

It should have time for a couple of hours of resting, insulated, in the cooler--that is a critical step.   I'll likely wrap in butcher paper to get it past the stall, then leave it in the paper when I pull if off the smoker.  The paper leaves the bark in fairly good shape; it can get soft when wrapped in foil.

I'm shooting for a higher pull temp; I've read a number of sources that favor 200 F before taking it off the heat.  

I wrap with butcher paper at the stall, usually around 165.  Looking for pooling, proper bark, etc.

Pull at 203.

Unwrap after pull, wait until 185.   

Re-wrap with new paper, add tallow and place in cooler.

Wait :)

I’ve always used 200° as a target, but the ‘poke test’ is the best indicator IMHO. That’s when the temperature probe slides into the meat like it’s warm butter. 

Pink butcher paper beats foil. As 10X points out, foil will make the bark soft. 

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

I wrap with butcher paper at the stall, usually around 165.  Looking for pooling, proper bark, etc.

Pull at 203.

Unwrap after pull, wait until 185.   

Re-wrap with new paper, add tallow and place in cooler.

Wait :)

Ah, gotcha.   185 is on the way back down.  Yeah, I'll let it cool down a bit before I put it in the cooler to rest.

Just put it to bed for the night, added a few handfuls of briquets, turned it for the first time, and spritzed it.   Setting the alarm to wake me in 1 am for the first check, because i'm not sure I trust the way the low temp alarm on the wireless thermometer works...  It's been holding 265 F nicely; that's my target, and also fairly high for a WSM.  They seem to max out at 300 F with all vents open wide.

11 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Pink butcher paper beats foil. As 10X points out, foil will make the bark soft. 

15 hours ago, 10X said:

it has been marinating ever since in beef broth with some cider vinegar

Be careful with marinating too long in vinegar (acid) - it could make the meat mushy.

28 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

Be careful with marinating too long in vinegar (acid) - it could make the meat mushy.

Good point.   I'm using cider vinegar as a fairly minor component, but you're absolutely correct.

Your linked video is the one I watched that sold me on butcher paper for the wrap.  The brisket got past the stall overnight without any wrap, but I'm still going to wrap it soon to preserve moisture.   It's at 190 F now.  In a couple of hours I'll add a rack of ABTs (bacon-wrapped jalapeño poppers) to the smoker.    The family now insists on those whenever I smoke something.

• Like 3

Thanks--that's a video that I haven't seen before.  Always something new to learn.

This weekend's brisket turned out ok, not as tender or juicy as I had hoped, but the flavor was good.   I think some of the issues were that it was really lean, so not much marbling to render.   I probably should have trimmed less closely and injected more than usual to compensate.   It also came from Restaurant Depot with an inexplicable cut 5" long clear through the middle of the flat.  Wrapping at the stall, instead of after, may have also helped it retain more liquid.  But, temperature control was spot-on, minimal fluctuation from 260 F for 17 hours, I pulled at 203 F internal, wrapped it in a towel and put it in the empty ice chest to rest, and served it about 3 1/2 hours later, when the internal temp was 164 F.   I also liked the new rub variation.   And the poppers, as always, were spectacular.

4 hours ago, 10X said:

Thanks--that's a video that I haven't seen before.  Always something new to learn.

This weekend's brisket turned out ok, not as tender or juicy as I had hoped, but the flavor was good.   I think some of the issues were that it was really lean, so not much marbling to render.   I probably should have trimmed less closely and injected more than usual to compensate.   It also came from Restaurant Depot with an inexplicable cut 5" long clear through the middle of the flat.  Wrapping at the stall, instead of after, may have also helped it retain more liquid.  But, temperature control was spot-on, minimal fluctuation from 260 F for 17 hours, I pulled at 203 F internal, wrapped it in a towel and put it in the empty ice chest to rest, and served it about 3 1/2 hours later, when the internal temp was 164 F.   I also liked the new rub variation.   And the poppers, as always, were spectacular.

Wrapping at the stall, new butcher paper during the rest and beef tallow at wrap and rest both add to the juicy quotient.

I keep improving marginally every time, but good flavor is good flavor, so you won!