My brother in law just got his permit and was searching for a pistol and specifically a Glock 19 (probably a gen 5).

We got a lead on  a used but near new condition Gen 4 with new night sights and the guy wanted $500. He mentioned this to his mom, who is in her mid 70s and she said “$500 for a used gun? That is ridiculous!!” Then she said, according to my bother in law, “I have a gun in my closet in my bedroom. I bought it a long time ago. You can have it...”

Here it is...unfired!

252F0B78-94AD-44DB-BC07-EB3A1900BD23.jpeg

• Like 4

Just now, Bellasdaddy said:

Yes it has a white label with 10 rounders. I think it had something to do with the awb?

Ah, that could be it.

37 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Holy crap a Gen 1 in the tupperware container?!

The release of the Glock 19 was 1988, making it a Gen 2. If that came with factory ten round mags.,  it would have been post-1994 thanks to the AWB. That ushered in the era of “LE Only” magazines. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Old_Hunter said:

The release of the Glock 19 was 1988, making it a Gen 2. If that came with factory ten round mags.,  it would have been post-1994 thanks to the AWB. That ushered in the era of “LE Only” magazines. 

Ah that's right.  Even the Gen2's still had the tupperware I guess.  I just saw the re-release of the "P80" Glock 17 in the tupperware style container.

• Informative 1

29 minutes ago, Bellasdaddy said:

Yes I think it is a Gen 2 and it was purchased in approximately 1996.Is it ok to shoot or should it be preserved?

There are some Glock fans out there. It definitely would command a higher than retail price. I would check a Glock forum or wait for a Glock fan to chime in. If someone says no and makes a low ball offer I wouldn't listen (I'll give you $350 cash money!). It's on the CA approved list with 10 rd mags. I'm going to take a guess by saying at least $600 - $700 on Gunbroker in new condition.

Again, my knowledge is limited, so please do your research before shooting it. 

48 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

There are some Glock fans out there. It definitely would command a higher than retail price. I would check a Glock forum or wait for a Glock fan to chime in.

There are indeed gun collectors that focus on collecting Glocks.  Which is a little like a car collector focussing on collecting Corollas, but it's a thing.

The Glock Talk board has a forum specific to collecting Glocks.  You may find some good info there.

GlockTalk forum

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Grapeshot said:

Wait - collecting Glocks is a "thing"? 

Like "I collect ugly Tupperware guns"? This is like people who collect garden gnomes. 

Collect Berettas - you'll be happier.  And sexier. 

Yes it is. If you run across a real unicorn Gen 1 19, you will be looking at a $7500 price tag.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 9:27 AM, Krdshrk said:

Ah that's right.  Even the Gen2's still had the tupperware I guess.  I just saw the re-release of the "P80" Glock 17 in the tupperware style container.

I have a Gen3 G22 that came in the Tupperware container. I didn’t think that was unusual.....is it? 

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

I have a Gen3 G22 that came in the Tupperware container. I didn’t think that was unusual.....is it? 

The agency I worked for switched to Glock about 1998.  They came in the Tupperware.

• Agree 2

On 9/21/2020 at 9:23 AM, Old_Hunter said:

Im not a Gen expert but the checkering on the frontstrap and backstrap make it a Gen 2 IIRC.

• Agree 2

I'd list on Gunbroker with Fat minimum bid and see what happens. Let some Glock collector who will appreciate have it.

The bidding wars on that site are crazy these days.

Current production S&W M&P 9mm EZ's are selling for $6-7-800 regularly.

Colt AR's, tactical shoguns also crazy prices.

7 hours ago, BillC. said:

Gen 2 glocks are common as f-150's.

shoot it, enjoy doing it.most glocks look new after thousands of rounds if maintained and not carried

Very common with the retired LEO community still holding on to their duty/backup weapons. 

I never knew old Glock's and old Glock parts were a "thing." Who'd have thought these plastic guns would be sought after and "collectible?" 

https://www.glockjunkie.net/gens-1-2-oem-glock-parts-accessorie

If you were an early Glocker, you would be familiar with the magazines they made and how they changed over a decade. Anyone who has magazines numbered 1, 2 or 3 can attest to this. 

IMG_9644.JPG

On 9/24/2020 at 11:08 AM, GRIZ said:

Im not a Gen expert but the checkering on the frontstrap and backstrap make it a Gen 2 IIRC.

yes it is a gen2....gen1 glock 19's are platinum hens teeth ....very limited modified 17 frames to fit the 19 slide and magazine then they went to the gen2 with actual manufactured 19 frames with the "grenade" textured front/rear straps 

Just to follow-up on my original post. He did decide to keep and shoot the 19. The magazines do, in deed, seem a bit different than today’s variations. Aside from the 10 round limitation, the follower is completely flat. Also, I can see why Glock possibly discontinued the tupperware as there is a tubular protrusion that extends through the trigger guard which essentially violates the rule of keeping your finger off of the trigger unless intended...

9 hours ago, Bellasdaddy said:

Just to follow-up on my original post. He did decide to keep and shoot the 19. The magazines do, in deed, seem a bit different than today’s variations. Aside from the 10 round limitation, the follower is completely flat. Also, I can see why Glock possibly discontinued the tupperware as there is a tubular protrusion that extends through the trigger guard which essentially violates the rule of keeping your finger off of the trigger unless intended...

I've seen a variety of different Glock 19 magazines over years.  They all work to my experience.

The tubular protrusion going through the trigger guard is not a safety issue.  There is also a Ridge of plastic that covers the front strap.  If the Glock somehow becomes loaded in the box the only way you would get the gun to discharge in the box is to put it on edge and smash the box with a sledge hammer.  Not likely.

The tubular protrusion was actually designed into the box.  The Austrian Army wanted the guns stored in a box and secured.  The box was designed so you would stack the guns in their boxes on a rod and then put a lock on the top of the rod.  All the guns were secured with the rod going through the trigger guard.  Heard this from a Glock rep about 25 years ago.