EVANGELIONHD

Upcoming PA gun fair.

Hey guys not sure if this is the place to ask about of questions that have probably been asked but couldn't anything using the forum search.

There is this gun fair in PA coming this weekend I was thinking on going with the family for the shows and funs but in case and just in case I get to find the rifle I have been looking for s&w15-22, I want to know what are my options to buy it, will it need to be sent to an FFL from the store? I know there is no nics on long guns in PA, but can I buy it and bring it to NJ by myself or ffl is required?

20200921_142707.jpg

• Like 1

It's legal to purchase a *LONG GUN* (not handguns) out of state.  The transfer will have to be *FROM AN FFL* (not a private seller) and will have to adhere to legal requirements of both the state the transfer is taking place in (PA) and the transferee's home state (NJ).

Just because it's legal doesn't mean each and every FFL at the PA show is obligated to do a NJ transfer.  Some may not want to deal with the hassle.  You'll have to ask.  Take your NJ FID card and several NJ COE forms (https://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/sp-634_20180914.pdf) with you in case you do find the long gun you want from an FFL who is willing to do a transfer to a NJ resident.

Also take a case so you can transport it back home legally (or lock it in the trunk).

There is still a NICS check - you'll go through the NATIONAL instant check, which really is near instant, as opposed to the NJ NICS check which is routed through the NJSP office which usually only has a couple of people handling checks for the entire state of NJ.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

(not handguns) out of state

For clarity, you can purchase a handgun out of state, it just needs to be shipped to a NJ FFL before you can take possession.  The NJ FFL will also run the NICS before he transfers it to you.  This is effectively what you are doing when you purchase a handgun online.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

There is still a NICS check - you'll go through the NATIONAL instant check, which really is near instant, as opposed to the NJ NICS check which is routed through the NJSP office which usually only has a couple of people handling checks for the entire state of NJ.

Incorrect. PA is a POC (Point of Contact) state just like NJ. NICS (called PICS in PA) is handled by the PASP, not directly with the federal (FBI) system. That is not to say that they are as backed up as the NJ system, but you may not get the instantaneous check afforded by the direct federal system. Check with the dealer before you part with your cash or you may be making a second long trip to PA.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

On 9/21/2020 at 3:20 PM, DirtyDigz said:

It's legal to purchase a *LONG GUN* (not handguns) out of state.  The transfer will have to be *FROM AN FFL* (not a private seller) and will have to adhere to legal requirements of both the state the transfer is taking place in (PA) and the transferee's home state (NJ).

Just because it's legal doesn't mean each and every FFL at the PA show is obligated to do a NJ transfer.  Some may not want to deal with the hassle.  You'll have to ask.  Take your NJ FID card and several NJ COE forms (https://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/sp-634_20180914.pdf) with you in case you do find the long gun you want from an FFL who is willing to do a transfer to a NJ resident.

Also take a case so you can transport it back home legally (or lock it in the trunk).

Thanks for this info.  Just to be clear, my understanding is that the NJ COE should be completed in duplicate with one copy kept by the FFL and the other by the buyer.  There is no requirement to send this info to NJ State.

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, StarGazer said:

Thanks for this info.  Just to be clear, my understanding is that the NJ COE should be completed in duplicate with one copy kept by the FFL and the other by the buyer.  There is no requirement to send this info to NJ State.

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks again.

Yes. But the "other than NJ FFL" may not want to fill it out - nor does he really need to. This is a NJ regulation and since NJSP have no jurisdiction in any state but NJ, an out of state FFL will never be audited by a NJ law enforcement entity. Might be wise to fill one out and keep it for your records.

Adios,

Pizza Bob