B4LLZNJ

Ugh...... I broke my new ar! well....not really

So..... I went shooting today with AR. I shot about 200 rounds , 100rds of 223 and 100rds of 556. The rifle really is a pleasure to shoot.

Then...... it happened. I thought the magazine seated properly ....but it didn't. The bolt carrier locked , the safety locked as well as the trigger ....ugh.

As the noob I am my first reaction was omg I broke it. Later to learn that its a simple fix. Well not so simple when you have a pinned stock. So we have a nj state law that's says I have to have a pinned stock which is obstructing me from fixing my AR. unbelievable! Just a rant and a bit of frustration!:icon_eek:

I was told that by collapsing the stock and using the mortaring technique would release the bolt. It involves pulling the charging handle while Giving the butt of the stock a jolt on the floor. But because it’s pinned , at best I break the pin at worst I break the stock. 

Nah. I figured I’d do some research about it before I messed with it. However like I said if there was no pinned stock rule it would’ve been fixed already. The good part is it’s not broke so really nothing needs to be fixed. It just needs to be cleared. 

1 hour ago, B4LLZNJ said:

No. Can’t open the action. Safety is stuck in off position and trigger is locked. And it’s a live round. 

This means that the hammer is not cocked back.  You should be able to use the takedown pins to open it up.  

Despite what the NFAC head guy says, AR15s are not known for slam firing :P

It should still always be pointed in a safe direction, however.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

If your stock is pinned, you are not going to break the adjustment latch by mortaring it.

Besides, you don't have to do a hulk smash. Do it gently to start and repeat with slightly more force if it doesn't come free.

I generally mortar it off my lower quad, just above the knee - especially if it is someone else's gun rather than smack it into the ground. It doesn't usually take a lot of force.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

If your stock is pinned, you are not going to break the adjustment latch by mortaring it.

Besides, you don't have to do a hulk smash. Do it gently to start and repeat with slightly more force if it doesn't come free.

I generally mortar it off my lower quad, just above the knee - especially if it is someone else's gun rather than smack it into the ground. It doesn't usually take a lot of force.

Try to pull down on the charging at the same time your mortaring it. did you drop the mag out of the well

1 minute ago, silverado427 said:

Try to pull down on the charging at the same time your mortaring it. did you drop the mag out of the well

Pulling down on the charging handle while knocking the butt on the ground is mortaring it. Just bashing it on the ground is not going to work.

10 hours ago, B4LLZNJ said:

So..... I went shooting today with AR. I shot about 200 rounds , 100rds of 223 and 100rds of 556. The rifle really is a pleasure to shoot.

Then...... it happened. I thought the magazine seated properly ....but it didn't. The bolt carrier locked , the safety locked as well as the trigger ....ugh.

As the noob I am my first reaction was omg I broke it. Later to learn that its a simple fix. Well not so simple when you have a pinned stock. So we have a nj state law that's says I have to have a pinned stock which is obstructing me from fixing my AR. unbelievable! Just a rant and a bit of frustration!:icon_eek:

I gotta know....

Is the mag in the gun?

Did the gun go bang before it 'locked' up?

Did the gun squib on you?

Were they reloads or factory?

Is this your first time with and armalite type rifle?

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Despite what the NFAC head guy says, AR15s are not known for slam firing :P

With a floating fireing pin... yes they are. 

There is a reason 5.56 and most .223 are loaded with military spec primers. To avoid a slam fire.. so in a sense it is rare with factory ammo. But it has been reported that a loose round chambered can go off from the inertia of the bcg without a magazine slowing it down. 

If you used standard federal small rifle primers, you're almost guaranteed to get a slam fire at some point. Even my military primers are dimpled just from letting the gun cycle. 

If they do slam fire, it should happen on a closed bolt anyway. 

3 hours ago, B4LLZNJ said:

Well took it apart and the bolt released, no light primer strike. Lack of pulling the ch fully back is the reason why it happened. Alls well that ends well. 

You obviously want to cycle the bolt fully when loading a round... but even short stroking wouldn't cause this.. at worse the gun won't go into battery.. not jam it up. 

3 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

but even short stroking wouldn't cause this..

This is only a guess, based on the limited information, but I'm thinking it was either a double feed or a double charge.   In which case, you rip the mag out, pull back the CH, lock the bolt catch (or hold it) finger bang the mag well, and shake or diddle the rounds out of the action.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

With a floating fireing pin... yes they are. 

It can happen, yes, but it's pretty darn rare.  And yes, usually with a closed bolt.  With a SKS... lol those are known for it.  

7 hours ago, B4LLZNJ said:

Well took it apart and the bolt released, no light primer strike. Lack of pulling the ch fully back is the reason why it happened. Alls well that ends well. 

If it didn't go into battery fully, did you hit the forward assist?  

Also - run your AR wet... like, really wet.  Lube the heck out of it.