Leadhead78

Shouldering a "other" firearm?

Long time hand gun shooter, but new to AR style firearms.  I have been doing a ton of research and am interested in purchasing a "Other" firearm specifically a Troy A4.  I understand what makes a "other" firearm, and why.  

Excuse my ignorance but by design the Other has a adjustable brace which is not designed to be shouldered.  And from what I understand you are not allowed to or only under certain circumstances("sporadic, incidental, or situational")? But every video I have watched of someone firing a "other" firearm has it on their shoulder like any other rifle.  

I am referencing this blog which was about the only 2020 related article I could find regarding the ATF's stance.  But how does that apply in NJ?   

https://www.80lowerjig.com/blogs/80-lower-blog/can-you-shoulder-an-ar15-pistol-brace-in-2020/

So if I purchase one, and bring it to the range, and I going to be called out for shouldering it?    

Like I said please dont flame me too much Im new, and just trying to understand this tricky world of NJ gun laws. 

If this is in the wrong section, I apologize.  Please move it, or I will repost in the appropriate section. 

• Like 1

I have never been questioned or even looked at while shouldering my "other".  I built mine with the SB4 Brace which is very "stock" like. It's a brace...how you use it is up to you. It's intent is to be a brace and not shouldered. 

Being new has its challenges in regards to these "other" firearms. 

The ATF has made conflicting statements, we just have to use the most up to date official statements. So while in the past they said no, the most recent one states that you can. 

IMO, the ATF figures they can only control the physical design of the weapon.. as of now...

I hear you Jack, I assumed as much from my research.  But with the way the ATF worded their statement I wanted to make sure no one else has an issue before I look to purchase a "Other".  I am really liking the 9mm Troy A4 from what I have seen online.  Looking forward to checking one out in person. 

Thank you! 

• Like 1

OP, 

Just to add, I purchased my Troy A4 (556/223) in early March just before all the craziness started. Purchased mine from Tony at Weshoot(formerly Garden State Shooting Center) in Lakewood, where I have purchased the majority of my firearms.  Have been thrilled with my choice of the Troy, my first AR.   Have shot approx 1,000 rounds thru it so far, no malfunctions whatsoever. Vast majority fired from the shoulder. As others have stated, firing from the shoulder is a non-issue.  

After a while, I did upgrade the charging handle with the one from Radian Weapons. Nothing wrong with the stock one. However the Radian one is beefier and ambidextrous and easier on my  increasingly arthritic fingers and hands.  Also accessorized it with a Sig Romeo 5 Red Dot sight and a Streamlight TLR-2 HL light/green laser combo.  Now a great package for all use cases.

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2020 at 4:32 PM, njJoniGuy said:

Sounds like a great "trunk gun" except for the fact that its not a "long gun", but an "other" for 'FID carry' purposes.

Its actually not regulated under transport/possession laws like long guns and pistols are... so you dont need "permission" like long guns do with a fpid through exemptions.

Possession of a pistol is illegal except....

Possession of a rifle/shotgun is illegal except.....

All other weapons, just need a lawful purpose to possess. 

20 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Its actually not regulated under transport laws like long guns and pistols are... so you dont need "permission" like long guns do woth a fpid.

C'mon man!

It's an OTHER WEAPON. It's still a 4th degree crime.

2C:39-5.  Unlawful possession of weapons.

a. Machine guns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession a machine gun or any instrument or device adaptable for use as a machine gun, without being licensed to do so as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-5, is guilty of a crime of the second degree.

b.   Handguns.  (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the second degree. (2) If the handgun is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person it is a crime of the third degree.

c.   Rifles and shotguns. 

(1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

(2)   Unless otherwise permitted by law, any person who knowingly has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

d.   Other weapons.  Any person who knowingly has in his possession any other weapon under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses as it may have is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.  (Emphasis mine)

Please define the underlined phrase. 

18 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

C'mon man!

It's an OTHER WEAPON. It's still a 4th degree crime.

2C:39-5.  Unlawful possession of weapons.

a. Machine guns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession a machine gun or any instrument or device adaptable for use as a machine gun, without being licensed to do so as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-5, is guilty of a crime of the second degree.

b.   Handguns.  (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the second degree. (2) If the handgun is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person it is a crime of the third degree.

c.   Rifles and shotguns. 

(1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

(2)   Unless otherwise permitted by law, any person who knowingly has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

d.   Other weapons.  Any person who knowingly has in his possession any other weapon under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses as it may have is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.  (Emphasis mine)

Please define the underlined phrase. 

As long as you don't intend to use it for an illegal act its legal to possess.

I shoot paper with mine... is that not legal? Nothing would preclude me from leaving it in the trunk for range visits. Sometimes I can squeeze in some range time after work, which is on my way home. 

Its no different than carrying a box knife, so long the intended use is a legal activity.  you dont need to have boxes in your possession for that to be legal. Same application here... unless you want to argue carrying a knife is illegal too?

• Like 1