redbankresident

Doctor/Psychiatrist to Provide Letter for Firearm Permit?

I'm in the process for applying for a firearm permit and was told that I needed to get a letter from a doctor or psychiatrist stating that I'm mentally fit to handle the responsibility. 

This is all because I was on anti-depressants for a short period of time years ago. 

I haven't been able to find anyone that will do this. I've found one psychiatrist but she wants $750, which seems high. 

If anyone has any recommendations, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Out of curiosity... is Red Bank making you get this letter? If you're no longer on them wouldn't a letter from your attending physician/therapist suffice? I'll wait for others to chime in, but it certainly sounds like an additional form not permitted by statute. 

https://gpirelli.com/?page_id=959

I know Dr. Pirelli's practive does evaluations for firearms ID cards, but I have no idea what the cost is. He's in Verona, NJ. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, redbankresident said:

I'm in the process for applying for a firearm permit and was told that I needed to get a letter from a doctor or psychiatrist stating that I'm mentally fit to handle the responsibility. 

This is all because I was on anti-depressants for a short period of time years ago. 

I haven't been able to find anyone that will do this. I've found one psychiatrist but she wants $750, which seems high. 

If anyone has any recommendations, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

First, welcome to the Forum!

In answer to your question I can recommend a 2A-friendly guy that has been interviewed on Gun For Hire Radio with Anthony Colandro, attended NJSAFECON as a vendor to reach-out to firearms owners, who specializes in this sort of EVAL and who's practice is recognized by the state of NJ as providing expert evaluations, testimony, documents, etc.:  Gianni Pirelli in Verona, NJ. https://gpirelli.com/?page_id=959 

Whatever he wants, just write the check.  If you've already been denied and were told to "go see someone for a letter", you're playing with a ticking time bomb.  Denials have to be handled in an expedient manner.  You're ON-THE-CLOCK here!  Be frank on the phone when you call his office and have your paperwork in your hand when you do.

Your lifetime 2A rights are on the line, and you really can't put a price tag on THAT!

Pirelli literally WROTE THE BOOK on this type of EVAL!

Good luck on getting this taken care of!

When you can spare some time, take a glance at what the Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners is all about:

https://www.cnjfo.com

https://www.cnjfo.com/News

https://www.cnjfo.com/join-us

https://www.Facebook.com/cnjfo

Sincerely,

Dave "Rosey" Rosenthal, VP

Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners (CNJFO)

P.S.:  We were a vendor at the same NJSAFECON event in Princeton, NJ.

39468231_1809857922384548_4908283669476540416_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=MxMOZ5mC5pMAX-ML3pr&_nc_ht=scontent.fewr1-5.fna&oh=2ec8bb10413c9296fe85a8b4f977fdc6&oe=5F92BB90

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, redbankresident said:

I'm actually in Middletown. Sorry for the confusion.

Your last name isn’t Murphy is it?

Just kidding.  Welcome!  Time is of  the essence.  You may want to contact NJ2AS as well as Doc in Verona.  I wouldn’t contact your personal physician unless you know where he or she stands.  

I will see if I can find my personal past post/guidance on the topic of “Question# 26” and repost it here.  

As others have already stated, if I were to need an eval, my goto doctor would also be Dr Pirelli.

Coincidently, I am also in Middletown.  Feel free to private message me.

I appreciate all of the help here. 

I spoke to Dr. Pirelli on the phone and he let me know that what's being requested by the detective in Middletown doesn't warrant pursuing his services. I really just need a simple note from a doctor and/or psychiatrist. Issue is that finding someone willing to do that has been incredibly difficult. 

1 hour ago, redbankresident said:

Thanks. Unfortunately, based on what I'm reading on these threads, I should have just said 'no' to whether I had been on meds, etc. Too late for that. 

Wrong.   You never want to purposely lie on that form.  Just do what Smokin .50 suggested above cost be dammed and do so quickly.  Does it suck yes, but right now you need to decide if your going to fight for your rights or give them up and walk away. 

12 hours ago, redbankresident said:

Thanks for the information! From my understanding, I haven't actually been denied just yet. They just want some further documentation in order to move forward with the application process. 

So you've submitted the application and answered yes? Therefore, unless it can be withdrawn you'll most likely be denied. 

If you end up with an FID denial on your record you'll have pay the $750 anyway then reapply to get it cleared

Sorry, but if you've found a Dr. that is willing to write a letter satisfying the Middletown PD just fork over and be done with it.

Others have paid much more for expungements in order to secure an FID. 

@Bomber So you're saying that because I admitted to having been on anti for a short period in my life I'll most likely be denied? 

For the record, the detective that I'm in touch with has A) said that I have as much time as needed to get a doctor's note, and B) asked simply for a letter, not a full forensic psychological assessment. 

Either way - given that no doctor's psychiatrists/psychologists I've called seem willing to write the note. It seems like a forensic evaluation is the only option. 

That being said, I'm a bit reluctant to spend the money if you think I'm going to get denied regardless of the findings. 

3 hours ago, redbankresident said:

@Bomber So you're saying that because I admitted to having been on anti for a short period in my life I'll most likely be denied? 

Either way - given that no doctor's psychiatrists/psychologists I've called seem willing to write the note. It seems like a forensic evaluation is the only option. 

That being said, I'm a bit reluctant to spend the money if you think I'm going to get denied regardless of the findings. 

I thought you found a Dr. willing to write a note but thought the price was too high?

If you get clearance from a Dr. you shouldn't be denied.  However, if the application proceeds without the Dr. clearance as requested that could be used as a reason for denial.   

The Detective probably knows this and is giving you a heads up.

In any case I would find out exactly what the status is of your application as of now. You don't want this to inadvertently be denied.

The point is you've submitted the application, answered yes on question #26 now you have to follow through or withdraw the application and forget about owning a firearm in N.J. 

IMO If you can get it cleared up for $750 out the door count your blessings and move on. Sucks but this is N.J. 

3 hours ago, redbankresident said:

For the record, the detective that I'm in touch with has A) said that I have as much time as needed to get a doctor's note, and B) asked simply for a letter, not a full forensic psychological assessment. 

@redbankresident Forgive me, but this table tennis game of single questions & single answers has gone on long enough.  Meaning, due to the complexity & totality of the situation, it's time to come clean and/or DWYAT (Do What You Are Told) previously.

You got a price of $750?  That means you found a Dr. to write the note!  Spend it!

You can't find a Dr. to write the note AFTER being quoted the $750?  Now we're all CONFUSED.  Or you're BS'ing us all?  Or perhaps we missed your serve in table tennis?  (Missing INFO?)

Your 2A rights are only worth what YOU think they're worth---NOT A PENNEY MORE :) 

Middletown won't keep your file open forever.  If the CLEO tells this Detective to clear his desk before Thanksgiving and you're still pending, you'll most likely be denied and sent "the form letter" because you were given a chance to go back to the Dr. that wrote the script to get a letter & FAILED TO DO SO...

No one will risk their practice on writing you a letter if they don't know you and you're not under their care ($$$).

The best Dr. to write the letter (if Pirelli actually said he's not needed YET) would be the Dr. that wrote the script for the Happy Pills to begin with.  He or she could write that you're no longer in need of continued medication for a temporary issue, as is the case most of the time in these issues.  Job loss, death of child or spouse, financial ruin are all causes for a few refill doses of Happy Pills.  Perfectly understandable, and several of us have gone thru this ourselves.  Even gun owners are human beings with feelings...

So unless you went Dr. Shopping for Happy Pills (and didn't come clean about it to Pirelli), spend the $750 you were quoted and call it a day.  OR call Pirelli back for a full work-up and present THAT to the Detective in the Middletown PD that you're dealing with.

We all hope YOU resolve this issue.  Only YOU can do it.  We can't do it for you.

As others have said, lying on firearms forms is a YUGE No-No!

Good luck!

~R

just get the damn letter! or not, if you don't want to pay. you're in a pay to play situation. You want a gun? you'll either pay a lawyer to fight the denial or a doctor for that letter, but in both cases you're gonna pay if you want that gun bad enough.

Does the letter specifically have to be about guns? Your family doc won't write you a letter stating you are of sound mind and body and not currently on psychotropic meds?

If you just walk in off the street and meet a doc, they generally don't want to write something like this because they don't know you from Adam. You need someone that had a relationship with you (quick and easy) or you need to go through the expensive evaluation process.

On 9/25/2020 at 10:49 PM, Bomber said:

So you've submitted the application and answered yes? Therefore, unless it can be withdrawn you'll most likely be denied. 

If you end up with an FID denial on your record you'll have pay the $750 anyway then reapply to get it cleared

Sorry, but if you've found a Dr. that is willing to write a letter satisfying the Middletown PD just fork over and be done with it.

Others have paid much more for expungements in order to secure an FID. 

I replied yes to 26 in 2017, for anxiety and depression, without issue.  Have my card.  Was approved through NICS in 2 days of purchase.  Answered yes again recently for handgun permit.  Hopefully it goes through.  

2 minutes ago, Gabesdad said:

I replied yes to 26 in 2017, for anxiety and depression, without issue.  Have my card.  Was approved through NICS in 2 days of purchase.  Answered yes again recently for handgun permit.  Hopefully it goes through.  

The OP's problem is the PD he is applying through is requesting a note from a Dr. stating he is mentally fit to own a firearm.

Note that the statute (2C:58-3 c(3)) says that a person with some kind of defect or disease must produce "a certificate of a medical doctor or psychiatrist licensed in New Jersey, or other satisfactory proof,  that he is no longer suffering from that particular disability in such a manner that would interfere with or handicap him in the handling of firearms."

I have seen this interpreted as meaning that you need a letter from a physician, a doctor, such as a psychiatrist, NOT a psychologist. So it is very lucky to find a psychiatrist who will do this for $750. I would imagine though that Dr. Pirelli, who I believe is a psychologist and not a medical doctor, should probably count as "other satisfactory proof."

Hi everyone,

First, The person I found for $750 is a psychiatrist. I spoke to her on the phone two weeks ago and she gave me that price. I called her 2 days ago and left a message but she hasn't responded. I'll let everyone know. 

I've now found a second psychiatrist that will provide the same services for roughly $1,200. So that might be my best bet if I don't hear back from the $750 psych.

Dr. Pirelli's team seemed very nice on the phone but they quoted $2,500, which seems a bit high given the others I've found. 

Regarding the request from the detective, I was told, "it will help if you get the signed letter from a medical doctor. Just needs to be a signed letter stating you are not suffering from a disability that would interfere with or handicap you in the handling of firearms.  Needs to be a medical doctor or psychologist licensed in New Jersey."

And lastly, I don't live on this forum. I have other things going on. Didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings by not responding sooner. 

Thanks everyone for their help. I've very much appreciated all of the feedback/input. 

• Informative 1

19 minutes ago, redbankresident said:

Hi everyone,

First, The person I found for $750 is a psychiatrist. I spoke to her on the phone two weeks ago and she gave me that price. I called her 2 days ago and left a message but she hasn't responded. I'll let everyone know. 

Any chance of contacting the Dr. who prescribed the meds originally?

Thanks for responding & good luck getting it all straightened-out!  Keep us advised please as we also learn from others.  This way if someone else has the same situation, we can point them in the right direction.

~R

22 hours ago, redbankresident said:

Hi everyone,

I've now found a second psychiatrist that will provide the same services for roughly $1,200. So that might be my best bet if I don't hear back from the $750 psych.

Dr. Pirelli's team seemed very nice on the phone but they quoted $2,500, which seems a bit high given the others I've found. 

Regarding the request from the detective, I was told, "it will help if you get the signed letter from a medical doctor. Just needs to be a signed letter stating you are not suffering from a disability that would interfere with or handicap you in the handling of firearms.  Needs to be a medical doctor or psychologist licensed in New Jersey."

And lastly, I don't live on this forum. I have other things going on. Didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings by not responding sooner. 

Thanks everyone for their help. I've very much appreciated all of the feedback/input. 

My sister used Dr. Pirelli's services.  Dr Pirelli is not only a psychologist but an M.D. as well.  For $2,500, you are personally evaluated by him or someone on his staff.  That evaluation takes about 3 1/2 hours.  In addition, they interview friends and family.  Finally, you will receive a comprehensive report with a upfront summary that, in my sister's case, was 12 pages.  When submitting it to the PD, the detective commented that the report was detailed and well-written.

15 hours ago, dilbert1967 said:

My sister used Dr. Pirelli's services.  Dr Pirelli is not only a psychologist but an M.D. as well.  For $2,500, you are personally evaluated by him or someone on his staff.  That evaluation takes about 3 1/2 hours.  In addition, they interview friends and family.  Finally, you will receive a comprehensive report with a upfront summary that, in my sister's case, was 12 pages.  When submitting it to the PD, the detective commented that the report was detailed and well-written.

The credentials listed on his website do not say anything about a medical degree. He seems to have a PhD in psychology, but no MD.

https://gpirelli.com/?page_id=959

https://gpirelli.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Dr.-Pirelli-CV.pdf