redbankresident

Doctor/Psychiatrist to Provide Letter for Firearm Permit?

24 minutes ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

The credentials listed on his website do not say anything about a medical degree. He seems to have a PhD in psychology, but no MD.

https://gpirelli.com/?page_id=959

https://gpirelli.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Dr.-Pirelli-CV.pdf

I stand corrected.

10 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

the problem with society is that few have real coping skills, doctors are quick to prescribe mood altering meds, and people are generally less intelligent or lack common sense than they used to.

am I wrong

NOPE.    

• Like 1

the reality is this; I can't fathom anyone needing 'antidepressants' for a short period of time.  You either legitimately need meds in which case you probably shouldn't have firearms (although the legal parameters for this are suspect at best) or with first post ............

I vote anyone 'weak' enough to need these meds for a short period of time are not mentally stable or emotionally strong enough to possess firearms.  So Mr newcomer with ATF email nice try....

lol

4 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

the reality is this; I can't fathom anyone needing 'antidepressants' for a short period of time.  You either legitimately need meds in which case you probably shouldn't have firearms (although the legal parameters for this are suspect at best) or with first post ............

I vote anyone 'weak' enough to need these meds for a short period of time are not mentally stable or emotionally strong enough to possess firearms.  So Mr newcomer with ATF email nice try....

lol

Incredibly helpful post. Thanks for your input. 

Just now, redbankresident said:

Incredibly helpful post. Thanks for your input. 

are you joking?  you have no forum history here asking people how to 'circumvent' or 'cheapen' a medical ask for a permit to obtain firearms.  Nice try Mr ATF, nice try

That doesn't even bring into question the need to tighten one's panties for a short period of time on antidepressants. 

Ok, if not Mr ATF then Mr State Police or County detective but take your pick.

:unsure:

2 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

are you joking?  you have no forum history here asking people how to 'circumvent' or 'cheapen' a medical ask for a permit to obtain firearms.  Nice try Mr ATF, nice try.

Someone tries to obtain a firearm in N.J. runs afoul of one of the many hoops in place to discourage them, seeks advice on NJgunfoums and gets accused of being undercover LE, nice..  

Keep it up and this place will be even more of a ghost town than it already is.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RUTGERS95 said:

are you joking?  you have no forum history here asking people how to 'circumvent' or 'cheapen' a medical ask for a permit to obtain firearms.  Nice try Mr ATF, nice try

That doesn't even bring into question the need to tighten one's panties for a short period of time on antidepressants. 

Ok, if not Mr ATF then Mr State Police or County detective but take your pick.

:unsure:

At no point did I read anything remotely close to your examination of his attempting to circumvent anything. We have had a couple people pass through here asking the same question who ultimately recieved their permits.

And exactly what "history' or experience do you have in any medial field, let alone mental health? 

A licensed professional has to evaluate him, there is nothing we can do or say here that changes that. Unless I missed something he was simply asking who to contact that would be willing to help. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

At no point did I read anything remotely close to your examination of his attempting to circumvent anything. We have had a couple people pass through here asking the same question who ultimately recieved their permits.

And exactly what "history' or experience do you have in any medial field, let alone mental health? 

A licensed professional has to evaluate him, there is nothing we can do or say here that changes that. Unless I missed something he was simply asking who to contact that would be willing to help. 

You can't be this dumb

2 hours ago, Bomber said:

Someone tries to obtain a firearm in N.J. runs afoul of one of the many hoops in place to discourage them, seeks advice on NJgunfoums and gets accused of being undercover LE, nice..  

Keep it up and this place will be even more of a ghost town than it already is.

Oh jhc stop.  Theatrics are unbecoming.  Anybody with half a brain would know better here

I appreciate everyone's help here -- and to a few different people's points earlier, I wanted to share what I'm experiencing in the hopes that it might help others in the future. 

So it turns out that Pirelli, as well as the two other docs I've mentioned are all psychologists. Before pulling the trigger, I checked in with the detective just to be 100% sure that I was pursuing the correct service. His email to me states, "The letter needs to be from a medical doctor or psychiatrist licensed in New Jersey.  You should contact them and ask if they fall under that classification."

Unfortunately, they don't fall under that classification. 

I'm starting to feel like I should just pursue the services because I'm not even convinced this guy knows what he's talking about at this point. Thinking I might just pursue the services anyway. It would just suck to lose the cash, assuming the detective actually knows what he's talking about. 

On 10/6/2020 at 6:12 PM, redbankresident said:

I'm starting to feel like I should just pursue the services because I'm not even convinced this guy knows what he's talking about at this point. Thinking I might just pursue the services anyway. It would just suck to lose the cash, assuming the detective actually knows what he's talking about. 

I would give Frank Pisano a call and get some expert advice on how to proceed. 

http://frankpisanolaw.com

He specializes in N.J. firearm law and no doubt has seen situations like this before. I hired him for a different kind of hassle when I first applied for an FID card.

2 hours ago, redbankresident said:

His email to me states, "The letter needs to be from a medical doctor or psychiatrist licensed in New Jersey.  You should contact them and ask if they fall under that classification."

Where is this requirement coming from? The town? The state police? 

On 10/6/2020 at 6:12 PM, redbankresident said:

I appreciate everyone's help here -- and to a few different people's points earlier, I wanted to share what I'm experiencing in the hopes that it might help others in the future. 

So it turns out that Pirelli, as well as the two other docs I've mentioned are all psychologists. Before pulling the trigger, I checked in with the detective just to be 100% sure that I was pursuing the correct service. His email to me states, "The letter needs to be from a medical doctor or psychiatrist licensed in New Jersey.  You should contact them and ask if they fall under that classification."

Unfortunately, they don't fall under that classification. 

Anyone licensed in NJ who can evaluate mental health should be fine. Does a psychologist fit this? Yes and no. Some psychologists, do not earn their PhD, this would not count. The ones who do, they take the state licensing exam, and they can participate in the evaluation process for diagnosis of mental disorders. They hold the same diagnosis "powers" as a medical doctor and psychiatrist in regards to mental health. Thus their evaluations under NJ law should hold equally. Even a Psychiatric Nurse practitioner would qualify. 

I would pursue it if the person you pick meets the criteria and is licensed clinical psychologists. It would be difficult if not impossible for them to deny any medical opinion from a licensed professional in the state whos job description is evaluating medical illness. 

Hi omg I’m going through the same thing right now and I’m looking everywhere for a doctor who will do an evaluation and i can’t find any!! They all seem like they are against anyone owning guns!! I’m looking  for a firearm permit to use it as a sport like hunting and going to the fire range! This is all discouraging and I get why the officer wants me checked bc I took anxiety meds over 10yrs ago but I’m not paying $2500 from that same doctor you mentioned.  I  think that’s crazy!! Did you find anyone who did it?? I searching everyday and no luck! Now I regret having anxiety yrs ago...it’s like a punishment!! I appreciate anyone’s help! 

38 minutes ago, Pink said:

Hi omg I’m going through the same thing right now and I’m looking everywhere for a doctor who will do an evaluation and i can’t find any!! They all seem like they are against anyone owning guns!! I’m looking  for a firearm permit to use it as a sport like hunting and going to the fire range! This is all discouraging and I get why the officer wants me checked bc I took anxiety meds over 10yrs ago but I’m not paying $2500 from that same doctor you mentioned.  I  think that’s crazy!! Did you find anyone who did it?? I searching everyday and no luck! Now I regret having anxiety yrs ago...it’s like a punishment!! I appreciate anyone’s help! 

Dr. Gianni Pirelli

https://gpirelli.com/gun-evals/

I did try them they don’t guarantee anything and charge $2500.00 :-(  they told me some counties don’t want to use them!  I don’t mind paying half of that but that’s a lot to charge for a evaluation!  I’m in Bergen county and can’t find anyone ...this is so discouraging!!  

22 minutes ago, Pink said:

I did try them they don’t guarantee anything and charge $2500.00 :-(  they told me some counties don’t want to use them!  I don’t mind paying half of that but that’s a lot to charge for a evaluation!  I’m in Bergen county and can’t find anyone ...this is so discouraging!!  

Of course they can't guarantee anything - however they're the most effective forensic psychiatrists here in the state that are pro-2A.  They supported the 2A community at NJ SAFECON and Anthony at Gun for Hire recommends them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2022 at 12:21 PM, Aaron said:

All you're going to get is CRICKETS for an answer....

Nobody is going to do an evaluation and risk their name on a one-shot deal. 

DWYAT and you'll be pleased.

~R

On 9/25/2020 at 9:48 AM, redbankresident said:

I'm in the process for applying for a firearm permit and was told that I needed to get a letter from a doctor or psychiatrist stating that I'm mentally fit to handle the responsibility. 

This is all because I was on anti-depressants for a short period of time years ago. 

I haven't been able to find anyone that will do this. I've found one psychiatrist but she wants $750, which seems high. 

If anyone has any recommendations, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Which Dr quoted you $750?