CAL. .30 M1

Shughart M14 clone....

Always, thought the M1A could do great work with just a reddot the more i thought about it from watching Blackhawk Down.

You can research but Shughart used an M14 with Aimpoint red dot for aerial sniping...

Always wanted to get mine 'scoped' up and never did, till a mount came up - thsnks @Dave Archibald....

Well all mounted up, blue loctite, bore sight zero with laser to 50 yards....

After this weekends two wheel trip to VT..  will get to the range a d see what she can do....  minute of man at 200 would be ideal  

Randall-Shugart-M14-675x450.jpg

Screenshot_20200925-094531_Samsung Internet.jpg

20200925_094256.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tomk62 said:

Like this?

IMG_1982.thumb.jpg.5f45c8763daa9d1da6550d3a93cbdf1f.jpg

Bad Tom, instant time out....

Ok...eh...ill have some shipped to the kiddos in Charleston and fondle them in October...

Ps i owe u a beer at the tiger....lemme know  :)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, JC_68Westy said:

The 20rd mags just look right.

Totally agree.  I feel the same way about the steel M-16 20rd waffles (blocked at 15, that I had to throw away ,thank you gov'nah beaverpuss asshole) that I bought for a Vietnam era M-16 S/A clone I built for a retired USAF Lt Colonel.  10 rd plastic mags in an M-16 look retarded.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

looks great!!!!!!!!!!  big caliber for a red dot but it has it's place for sure

Thanks - hope it shoots - 

Bed the mount to the action and did the whole loctite gig - red right?  LMAO

Been a bit obsessed in reading about it - a great article I read was about  - MPBR - Maximuum Point Blank Range with M80 7.62 Ball ammo - should be useable 0-275 yards - with a rise/drop of 1.5"/ 3" +/- before the 4MOA dot becomes a hinderance - some say minute of man with a 4MOA to 350yds etc.

1) I do not foresee a need to shoot with this rifle further than that - 

2) The M1A/M14, if it does MOM for me, that is fine out to useable ranges, anything further you would be better served by a bolt gun IMO

The idea a like is the quick application of target acquisition with a robust round.

Also been obsessed with 9-Hole reviews....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I get it!!!!!!!!

Makes me want to get my mat out and just screw with some steel at 100....it just fun twanging it....

What I DONT get...and why i move the bench...

Is why if you cam move the bench, some don't?

I mean your not going to have a bench in real life...shoot standing offhand...shoot kneeling sitting slinged up...shoot PRONE....off a backpack etc....

I see all these guys at the bench and i wonder how they would shoot without it...

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Makes me want to get my mat out and just screw with some steel at 100....it just fun twanging it....

What I DONT get...and why i move the bench...

Is why if you cam move the bench, some don't?

I mean your not going to have a bench in real life...shoot standing offhand...shoot kneeling sitting slinged up...shoot PRONE....off a backpack etc....

I see all these guys at the bench and i wonder how they would shoot without it...

I move around, off bench, standing up, leaning against pole, laying on ground.  Gotta make it more fun and realistic if you can

• Agree 1

Well - it was a fun time at the range this past Sunday!

Thoughts - 

- It felt good and solid

- The weld of the face to the stock was higher than I liked, more of a chin weld - lower rings needed (more on that later)

- SA mount held like a rock and no loosening of the mount was visible - the pre-shooting measurement of the mount position was the same after the range

- The zero held across 60plus rounds - amazingly - why?

When I got home I noticed that the cheap 30MM split rings I used - well one cracked  :facepalm:

Given that - I ordered new 30MM rings - an yes they were vortex - LOL - I guess I will never learn.

I must say that the rifle in this configuration is fast, nimble and truly quick on target.

This is going to have to be upgraded to an Aimpoint and proper steel mounts - maybe Christmas to me....

Anyone have any feeling about the Aimpoint ACO  https://www.aimpoint.com/product/aimpoint-aco/

Also anyone have a good line on steel 30MM rings - or heavier duty aluminum that aren't made offshore?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Well - it was a fun time at the range this past Sunday!

Thoughts - 

- It felt good and solid

- The weld of the face to the stock was higher than I liked, more of a chin weld - lower rings needed (more on that later)

- SA mount held like a rock and no loosening of the mount was visible - the pre-shooting measurement of the mount position was the same after the range

- The zero held across 60plus rounds - amazingly - why?

When I got home I noticed that the cheap 30MM split rings I used - well one cracked  :facepalm:

Given that - I ordered new 30MM rings - an yes they were vortex - LOL - I guess I will never learn.

I must say that the rifle in this configuration is fast, nimble and truly quick on target.

This is going to have to be upgraded to an Aimpoint and proper steel mounts - maybe Christmas to me....

Anyone have any feeling about the Aimpoint ACO  https://www.aimpoint.com/product/aimpoint-aco/

Also anyone have a good line on steel 30MM rings - or heavier duty aluminum that aren't made offshore?

I like the Burris rings to be honest.  you get a solid locking point that won't break the bank

• Informative 1

19 minutes ago, Heavyopp said:

EGW has come out with a line of rings — made right in PA 

https://www.egwguns.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Rings

The keystone series, I bought a set a few weeks ago, very nice for the price

Thank you !

They look like they are well built !  Appreciate the heads up  ;)

:drinks: